Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Reed_Richards
    • By Reed_Richards 17th Jun 19, 8:20 PM
    • 466Posts
    • 276Thanks
    Reed_Richards
    Air conditioner as room heater
    • 17th Jun 19, 8:20 PM
    Air conditioner as room heater 17th Jun 19 at 8:20 PM
    We are making a workshop at the back of our detached garage and I am wondering how to heat it. I thought that an air conditioning unit, which uses a heat pump, would be more efficient form of electrical heating and therefore a greener option. Does this make sense?
    Reed
Page 1
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 17th Jun 19, 8:29 PM
    • 4,803 Posts
    • 6,472 Thanks
    zeupater
    • 17th Jun 19, 8:29 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 8:29 PM
    We are making a workshop at the back of our detached garage and I am wondering how to heat it. I thought that an air conditioning unit, which uses a heat pump, would be more efficient form of electrical heating and therefore a greener option. Does this make sense?
    Originally posted by Reed_Richards
    Hi

... possibly - make yourself a (very big) mug of coffee & wade through this thread for a couple of hours to see if it makes sense for your own project .... https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4715287

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • michaels
    • By michaels 17th Jun 19, 9:50 PM
    • 22,561 Posts
    • 103,703 Thanks
    michaels
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:50 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:50 PM
    So we have a portable A/C where you stick the hot exhaust out the window. With a bit of ingenuity I reckon we could stick it outside and run the exhaust back into the house - in theory as long as it wasn't too cold out this would be cheaper than running an electric heater....
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 18th Jun 19, 5:50 AM
    • 8,673 Posts
    • 13,652 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    • 18th Jun 19, 5:50 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 5:50 AM
    Originally posted by Reed_Richards
    As per Z's post, a small A/C unit would be great.

If a smaller portable one is good enough, then they too can be bought with heat pump functions. These are the guys I got my fixed unit from, with a page of portable's (some offering heat pump abilities).
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

356Posts Today

4,554Users online

Martin's Twitter