NETFLIX OR Amzon Prime

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 16 June 2019 at 6:33PM
    DoaM wrote: »
    Can you? That must be fairly recent as I have Prime and don't recall seeing any option for Prime without Video.

As it happens I do watch some things on Prime Video anyway. :)

But to answer the OP's question - yes, you can get both Netflix and Prime for monthly payments. (Netflix only offers monthly payments AFAIK). And you can get free trials of both.

Correction it's now Prime Video or Prime. I'm sure there used to be a cheaper non video option, ah there was a few years ago:

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2015/02/get-cheaper-amazon-prime-without-instant-video/

but like credits for longer delivery on Prime it appears to have disappeared.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 June 2019 at 8:47AM
    capital0ne wrote: »
    A TV Licence is for anyone owning equipment capable of receiving TV whether you do or not.

No - a TV Licence is for receiving TV broadcasts or using BBC iPlayer.
    aayush wrote: »
    Will still need a tv license if go over to Netflix

If you ONLY watch video-on-demand content from a commercial streaming service (and never TV broadcasts or BBC iPlayer) you do not need a TV Licence.

Amazon Prime Video is currently showing live Tennis. That may or may not require a TV Licence depending on the exact circumstances.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Netflix has far far more content. But it don't get you free next day delivery on your new lawnmower :)
  • Red_Army
    Red_Army Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 June 2019 at 11:58PM

You only need a TV Licence for the following:

1) Watching TV as it is being broadcast
    2) Recording TV as it is being broadcast
    3) Watching catch-up services on BBC iPlayer

You don't need a TV licence to watch catch-up services on ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, Quest, UKTV etc...

You don't need a TV licence to watch Netflix as this does not appear on a TV channel at the same time as you're watching.

You also don't need a TV licence for Amazon Prime Video, unless you choose to pay extra for its live add-on service Amazon Channels. I recently read that Amazon have acquired the rights to 20 Premier League football games next season and will be shown on one of Amazons live add-on channels so you would need a TV licence to watch them.

Money Saving Expert explains all this in more detail in this link
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence/
  • I don’t think Netflix or prime are worth the money. I’d pay the £14 a month TVL and have the luxury of live broadcasts. Most of the stuff on the iPlayer is new programming unlike Netflix where only a small percentage is not repeats. You can have a pvr to record stuff on commercial channels so you won’t have to endure adverts as you will be able to wind them on.
  • Cornucopia
    I don’t think Netflix or prime are worth the money. I’d pay the £14 a month TVL and have the luxury of live broadcasts. Most of the stuff on the iPlayer is new programming unlike Netflix where only a small percentage is not repeats. You can have a pvr to record stuff on commercial channels so you won’t have to endure adverts as you will be able to wind them on.

The OP's original question was simply about Netflix & Amazon. They never asked about TV Licences.

Although MSE is about value for money, I don't think you can directly compare the TV Licence with other payments for TV. It simply has too different a purpose and structure compared to Netflix et al to make that a sensible approach.

Personally, I think a household could "survive" with commercial catch-up (ITV Hub, All 4, My 5, UKTV Player) and add on a commercial streaming service (Netflix, Amazon, or Now TV) and still come out ahead of the TV Licence both in terms of price and content. But a lot comes down to personal taste.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Netflix by a large margin............BUT there is plenty of absolute Keek on both!
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    The OP's original question was simply about Netflix & Amazon. They never asked about TV Licences.

Not in the original post, no. But they did ask.

The post you've quoted is after the OP asked it. ;)
  • Cornucopia
    DoaM wrote: »
    Not in the original post, no. But they did ask.

The post you've quoted is after the OP asked it. ;)

Thanks.

It's almost like we need a special symbol that distinguishes a question from a statement. ;)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Indeed. But you accepted that the OP was a question asked, even though that special symbol was also missing there. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure