Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 22nd May 19, 12:07 PM
    • 274Posts
    • 643Thanks
    Zarch
    My Octopus Agile & Go tariff analysis/comparison website
    • 22nd May 19, 12:07 PM
    My Octopus Agile & Go tariff analysis/comparison website 22nd May 19 at 12:07 PM
    As many of the regulars know, the Octopus Agile tariff has really piqued my interest in time of use tariffs using Smart Meters.

Whilst you could grab bits and pieces of historical data from Octopus about 'Agile' it was a bit limited. ie it didn't show all DNO areas and wasn't complete back to Feb 2018.

So i've written a few scripts and pulled all the data in to one place.
    • All 30 minute data from all 14 DNOs going to back to the first day of the Agile tariff (Feb 19th 2018).
    • The data also updates at 5pm each day after Octopus have released their next day's figures.

I've then layered Grafana graphs on top so you can visualise the data yourself on my new website.

Plus, there is a Google Spreadsheet with all the historical data on.

https://www.energy-stats.uk/

I would be interested in people's thoughts on the project.

What could be done better?
    What else would people like to see in terms of graphs?
    Is this stuff useful?
    Could you see this tariff working for you?
    Could a combination of PV / batteries get you mostly over the expensive 4pm to 7pm hump?

I'm hoping to expand the project into their GO tariff as well as their new Agile Export figures too.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Zarch; 07-06-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    17 x 300W panels on a 3.68 SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
Page 1
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 25th May 19, 6:18 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Zarch
    • 25th May 19, 6:18 PM
    • 25th May 19, 6:18 PM
    I have spent so much time sorting the website itself I've not really had time to look at the data.

One thing that springs to mind is how the overall price seems to have gone down over the last 12 months? (select a region and look at the bottom graph for daily summaries.)

Is this a global trend? Lowering of prices? Are wholesale prices dropping?

Or is this Octopus finding the level for this new style of tariff? The tariff has only been live now for 15 months, so only one and a bit full years?
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 26th May 19, 2:53 PM
    • 1,668 Posts
    • 3,970 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    • 26th May 19, 2:53 PM
    • 26th May 19, 2:53 PM
    Please don't think for a minute, Zarch, that your work is unappreciated.

This is a valuable exercise and I have bookmarked your link. I will spend a few minutes later looking through the statistics.
    Last edited by Sterlingtimes; 28-05-2019 at 2:09 PM.
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19° west of south > 35° pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 26th May 19, 3:41 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 3,048 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    • 26th May 19, 3:41 PM
    • 26th May 19, 3:41 PM

I'm hoping to expand the project into their GO tariff as well as their new Agile Export figures too.

Cheers.
    Originally posted by Zarch
    I would be interested in this, to see if it would be worth switching our export to Agile Export if we were to get more panels.

However, regarding Go & Agile for import, it still appears that our average cost per kWh on Go (at less than 7.5p/kWh for all the electric we import) works out cheaper than what it would be on Agile.
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30° pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers. Inst Aug 2015.
    REUK Diverter, Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump, Kia Soul EV & 100% Green Electric Tariff.
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 27th May 19, 9:41 AM
    • 274 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Zarch
    • 27th May 19, 9:41 AM
    • 27th May 19, 9:41 AM
    Please don't think for a minute, Zach, that your work is unappreciated.

This is a valuable exercise and I have bookmarked your link. I will spend a few minutes later looking through the statistics.
    Originally posted by Sterlingtimes
    Thank you for your comments.

Interesting, overnight last night Agile had a low of 3.11p per unit. It was no higher than 6p from midnight through to 6am, then 7p through the most of today.

I think alongside a small battery to get you over the 4pm to 7pm (20p to 23p per unit today) period if solar can't cover it, this could be a decent option for many people?
    • KevinG
    • By KevinG 27th May 19, 10:12 AM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    KevinG
    • 27th May 19, 10:12 AM
    • 27th May 19, 10:12 AM
    As it's half-term, do I assume that the usual huge post 3pm hike won't be so dramatic?

Mind you, its seems to happen at weekends anyway, so maybe not ...
    Last edited by KevinG; 27-05-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    Baxi Ecogen 24/1.0 Micro-CHP boiler installed Oct-2010; 2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017.
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 28th May 19, 12:15 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Zarch
    • 28th May 19, 12:15 PM
    • 28th May 19, 12:15 PM
    As it's half-term, do I assume that the usual huge post 3pm hike won't be so dramatic?

Mind you, its seems to happen at weekends anyway, so maybe not ...
    Originally posted by KevinG
    That will be interested to see Kevin. We can look back at this weeks figures next weekend.

In the meantime......

I've added a simple single page showing what the Octopus Go tariff looks like in graph form as well as the current "out of the 5p four hour slot" pricing across the UK.

https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-go-tariff/
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 2nd Jun 19, 7:46 AM
    • 274 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Zarch
    • 2nd Jun 19, 7:46 AM
    • 2nd Jun 19, 7:46 AM
    Electricity pricing on Agile was as low as 2.1p last night.....

• Reed_Richards
    • By Reed_Richards 2nd Jun 19, 9:51 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Reed_Richards
    • 2nd Jun 19, 9:51 AM
    • 2nd Jun 19, 9:51 AM
    According to the Octopus web site electricity prices very occasionally go negative and they pay you to use electricity. Have you encountered one of those events yet?
    Reed
    • Coastalwatch
    • By Coastalwatch 7th Jun 19, 10:59 AM
    • 600 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    Coastalwatch
    Many thanks for compiling and posting, it's quite eye opening seeing the two tarrifs compared graphically. No doubt it will assist those people who have any doubts as to which might suit them best and I congratulate you in getting it up and running.

I'm with Bulb presently, due to them offering energy from a renewable source and sensible price, on their vari fair tarrif.

Afraid I'm steering clear of the Smart Meter route until the system and technology has matured to a reliable state, which still seems a long way off judging from the many comments made by those experiencing it.
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus one dirty diesel. Still waiting for V2H and home storage to become available at sensible cost.
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 19th Jun 19, 12:05 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Zarch
    New Website Update - Octopus Outgoing / Export tariff historical and current data.
    This data is just what those Solar PV owners have been waiting for.

Discussion points and my notes/thoughts for Octopus Outgoing Export Tariffs

- Their fixed 5.5p per kWh fixed outgoing is a 2.2% increase over current Feed in Tariff (FIT) based 5.38p.

- These Outgoing tariffs only replace the 'export' element of the FIT. Your generation payments will still come from your registered FIT supplier.

- Both Fixed and Agile Outgoing are "actual" export rather than "deemed" 50% as per FIT.

-- You are likely better to stay put on deemed 50% if your export less than 50% of what you generate. ie, if you have immersion diversion, EV or other high daytime usage.

- If you export more than 50% of what you generate the maths suggest you'd be better off on an 'actual' export tariff. The could well be the case with larger Solar installs.

- Octopus add credit to your bill each day for your exports. Assuming you spend more on "inbound" energy than you earn on "outbound" they'll aim to set direct debits at a level consistent with the estimated annual net amount. If you're in credit you can withdraw at will online. (From Octopus CEO)

- In comparison current FIT payments are usually every 3 months.

- You need to be on an Octopus import tariff to have one of their export tariffs.

- It will be very interesting to see the Agile Outgoing price through the winter months. The outgoing tariffs only started on 19th May 2019, so we have little historical data to analyse.

- Whilst its easy to claim 11p per unit and above between 4pm and 7pm during the summer because of late sunset times, its going to be impossible through the winter months with 4pm sunsets.

- Moving to Octopus requires a 12 month commitment for FIT payments. This is across the board, you can only move FIT supplier once a year.

- But this does not apply to 'export' supplier. You can move when you want. Plus, you can freely move between Fixed and Agile Outgoing / Export plans once with Octopus.

- So maybe there is opportunity to crunch the numbers to see if Fixed or Agile are better suited at different times of the year?

- Will the Octopus Fixed Outgoing tariff increase with inflation as per the current FIT rewards?

- The FAQ says there is nothing stopping you charging a battery using Solar during the day for free then selling back that energy between 4pm and 7pm for 11p+.

I need to be careful not to overdo the site URL push after a telling off by the mods.

If you have any ideas of what else you'd like to see please let me know.
    Last edited by Zarch; 19-06-2019 at 1:55 PM.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 19th Jun 19, 12:39 PM
    • 2,478 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I'm going to come back to this post later, it's going to need a lot of attention to take it all in! Thanks for all your efforts.

Actually 'later' might be in a year or so's time when I readress the issue of whether I can afford an EV, or if my gas boiler blows up and the likely impact of that on my consumption patterns.

My annual bill for the last 12 months was <£190 (although it's gone up) but it's always fun trying to tweak costs down..
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 19th Jun 19, 1:25 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 3,048 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    - You are likely better to stay put on deemed 50% if your export less than 50% of what you generate. ie, if you have immersion diversion, EV or other high daytime usage.

- If you export more than 50% of what you generate the maths suggest you'd be better off on an 'actual' export tariff. The could well be the case with larger Solar installs.
    Originally posted by Zarch
    Shouldn't that be as changed by the blue underlined text, rather than the original wording?

Better on deemed if you export less than 50%.

Possibly better on actual if you export more than 50%.
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30° pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers. Inst Aug 2015.
    REUK Diverter, Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump, Kia Soul EV & 100% Green Electric Tariff.
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 19th Jun 19, 1:59 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Zarch
    Shouldn't that be as changed by the blue underlined text, rather than the original wording?

Better on deemed if you export less than 50%.

Possibly better on actual if you export more than 50%.
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer
    Thank you. I knew what I wanted to say, then I got confused whilst typing.
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 19th Jun 19, 7:23 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Zarch
    Interesting update for those with long term installs...... I asked Octopus the following:

"Another question about Outgoing tariffs. There are two FIT export tariffs dependant on install date.

April 2010 to 30 July 2012: 3.82p
    On or after 1 August 2012: 5.38p

Can pre-July 2012 installs join Outgoing? Do they get 5.5p per kWh / Agile pricing?"

Their reply was:

"Ok, those are the FiT rates you’ve quoted there. Outgoing has just the two rates. You can switch to Outgoing (either 5.5 or Agile version) irrespective of which FiT rate you have. Hope that helps - but do drop us a DM / message if you have any questions & we can go through everything."
    • mmmmikey
    • By mmmmikey 20th Jun 19, 12:48 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    mmmmikey
    Wow - been away and just looked at this for the first time. This is an excellent site, many thanks for the work you've put in to this. Very worthwhile, I'm absolutely convinced that TOU tarriffs are going to fundamentally change the economics of investment decisions in technologies such as battery storage.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 23rd Jun 19, 10:48 PM
    • 2,478 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    You're generating a lot of interest on SpeakEV too, I notice.. :-)
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 24th Jun 19, 8:40 AM
    • 274 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Zarch
    You're generating a lot of interest on SpeakEV too, I notice.. :-)
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    Wherever the energy geeks are, you're likely to find me too.

Anywhere that I've missed?
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 25th Jun 19, 12:15 PM
    • 2,478 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Navitron forums? I haven't been there recently. Green Building Magazine forums would also be interested.

Well, you did ask! ;-)
    • Zarch
    • By Zarch 26th Jun 19, 11:34 AM
    • 274 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Zarch
    Navitron forums? I haven't been there recently. Green Building Magazine forums would also be interested.

Well, you did ask! ;-)
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    Yep, already on Navitron. Will investigate the other.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,447Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin