Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Unused annual allowance

Options
What do I need to do to use my unused annual pension allowance from the previous years? I was never close to 40k annual contribution, which I understand is a pen untaxable limit for a year. It seems like this year and next year I should be able to contribute more than 40k, and there is information on HMRC site that people can carry over the unused allowance from the previous 3 years. Do I need to let them know or ask for it, or do I simply pay more and the amount will automatically get tax relief? How do they know I don’t pay more than my allowance?

Comments

• Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1) You need to earn more than £40K in the tax year you want to contribute. Your total contributed will be limited to your gross earnings for that tax year you make the contributions.
    2) Keep a (personal) record of what you have contributed in each each tax year in case HMRC should query it.

Beyond that, not a lot. You don't specifically have to tell them you're using it - they'll be getting information from the pension providers for how much you actually contribute. Just make sure you're not going over any limits: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-have-unused-annual-allowances-on-your-pension-savings
    You can carry forward unused annual allowances from the 3 previous tax years. You do not need to report this to HMRC.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • btcp
    btcp Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    1) You need to earn more than £40K in the tax year you want to contribute. Your total contributed will be limited to your gross earnings for that tax year you make the contributions.
    2) Keep a (personal) record of what you have contributed in each each tax year in case HMRC should query it.

Beyond that, not a lot. You don't specifically have to tell them you're using it - they'll be getting information from the pension providers for how much you actually contribute. Just make sure you're not going over any limits: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-have-unused-annual-allowances-on-your-pension-savings

Thank you, that’s clear. I earn more, so no issue here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure