min spend online sane amount not £40+ where?

Comments

• Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I don't believe for one moment internet shopping is worth much less to supermarkets or make a loss on such orders - supermarkets make a very good margin on food and inflate prices when they can get away with it. Internet orders means an easy way for pickers to take the less good items off the shelves as people who shop in person will only take the best items with longest best-by dates, which means internet customers are given the option of getting a refund on an item they wanted but arrives a bit small or not great, or taking it; supermarkets gain as a way to dispose of less good items that way (otherwise in spite of their promises of internet customers getting the best quality with longest best-by dates, they don't?).

The staff in the store picking internet orders would be employed by the supermarket to probably man the checkouts more if those people bought from the store as they used to, so if there isn't a difference in staff numbers then that isn't an extra cost to the business, if a delivery van is kept busy all the time then their costs would be more than met by delivery costs customers pay.

If it weren't in their interests they wouldn't do it.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I too am slightly cynical about supermarket costs for home delivery.

Obviously it costs more than the few £ I pay for delivery, but they never factor in to their calculations customers like me, who use them online, but have other supermarkets nearer.

If they were to stop offering delivery my money wouldn't go to them, but the closest shop.

As to the OP, we are a two person household, but we do a monthly shop online and top up fresh items in-between locally.

Loads of things can be frozen and I'll often buy say a family pack of ham, and portion it out into freezer bags.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bacman wrote: »
    It doesn't mean a "less healthy diet" at all; fruit and veg stay fresh in the fridge for a couple of weeks or longer, potatoes about 3 months. Milk has a shelf life of about 1.5 weeks, processed foods for people who don't cook, longer. You can always get long life milk and fruit juices; and most other items last for months anyway.

There are always things to stock up, toilet rolls, cleaning materials, etc which will only go up in price over time anyway.

Best plan is always to shop yourself and not use home delivery; that way you get the best fruit and veg, can spend what you like, and if you're on a budget as you clearly are from your comments then you can go in the evenings when things are reduced - you can often get meat about 1/3 off or bread at about 20p instead of £1 that way - that's shopping smart.

I dont have the option of self shopping. Hence using delivery.

What about salad?

e.g. cucumber goes all soft if I try to keep it 2 weeks.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    calleyw wrote: »
    You do realise that supermarkets make a loss on internet orders. As they have to run vans, extra staff to pick and staff to drive the vans.
    Hence they don't want people ordering £1 worth of stuff for delivery.

If I remember it was the op who moaned about why could not get some of their shopping after ordering on-line. Could not seem to grasp that the pickers can only pick what is on the shelf at the time of the order pick. Seemed to think that goods should be removed from the shelves just for internet shoppers.

If you run out of a dedicated warehouse then fine. But do you expect someone to check the orders and go on to the shop floor and pick what is low in stock. And hold it back just for internet orders.

Always pro's and con's to everything. I shop in store as I shop in aldi and go once a week takes approx 45 max from home to back again and putting away. And yes some times they run out of items I want. So I pick an alternative or go with out.

Yours

Calley x

I still think the claims its loss making is a myth, there is a reason the high street is dieing, and that is its more expensive to sell things from a shop than it is a warehouse, but of course the likes of tesco are doing it wrong I agree with you there, they shouldnt be doing it from supermarkets but instead from warehouses for home home deliveries.

Also the word "loss" can be abused. One company I worked for would treat failure to meet profit targets as a loss so e.g. if the target was 1 million profit for the month and we made 800k profit for the month, then the shop floor staff would be told we made a 200k loss, highly misleading. No doubt in the case of supermarkets families are more profitable which is why they been targeted so heavily, but I think its gone too far.

The issue is as well its not just salad, but also other things I like which come with very low self life (yes when in the fridge), I would like to buy these things more often than once every 3-4 weeks.

I am using my last ocada voucher today, after that I will be looking at both asda and morrisons, I dont think iceland do salad. Since morrisons use warehouses I am leaning towards using them.

Interestingly ocada are parting ways with waitrose, all I will say on that is that waitrose branded food is very good quality. Miles above tesco branded food, so I hope ocada dont regret that decision.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The service you want IS available but clearly you aren't happy that it is a more expensive service. Perhaps unfortunately that has to be viewed as one of the additional costs of disability and something the related benefits could be used for. I think the Tesco charge for orders below £40 is £4. If you had to pay someone to go shopping for you I doubt £4 would cover it. If you look at it that way then the price perhaps doesn't seem too bad.

I know you want 'perfection' for yourself here - very low cost deliveries for small orders but unfortunately business models will never be all things to all people. At the other end of the scale, my Tesco drivers have mentioned local businesses such as care homes or nurseries placing massive orders which take up a whole van and throw out the logistics side.

Have you considered my fruit and veg box idea? Our local greengrocer will send a box pretty much to the value you want , the frequency you want and the contents you want. Free delivery within a couple of mile radius. Fruit boxes from £4.50, Veg/Salad from £7, bespoke ones based on item prices. They also sell eggs and a few other bits and bobs.
  • Dean000000
    Dean000000 Posts: 612 Forumite
    I reject that retailers only cater for rich people or families....

End of the day, they are in business to make money, and are not charities.

They will view a £25 basket of goods at (say) £12.50 profit, + £4 delivery - less the cost it actually is to get it there....easily £15....so £1.50 profit.

(Add up pickers time, checkout time, delivery driver time, offloading and returning to store, the person billing and/or that computer systems maintenance and repair)

Take a £40 basket, and using the same logic, profit is £20 + £4 delivery. Delivery is still £15 cost to them, resulting in £9 profit.

There are merely setting a minimum to offset the expected loss on delivery.

So theoretically, they’d have to charge £12.50 for delivery to be in the same profit position on a £25 basket....

Which of course would be ‘unfair’

Figures above are illustrative, I have no insight of profit margins
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    but of course the likes of tesco are doing it wrong I agree with you there, they shouldnt be doing it from supermarkets but instead from warehouses for home home deliveries.

Some are (cannot vouch for tesco but other certaianly are). However only in areas it makes a profit to do it in.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    I dont think iceland do salad.

Mine does, but TBH the offerings are not ones I would chance to a "picker", OK to choose your own
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you have a local supermarket or fruit & veg shop, butchers etc, as a number of these do delivery locally for free
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Do you have a local Milkman? We have Milk & More in our area, they are pricey but don't have a minimum order and deliver free.

https://www.milkandmore.co.uk

Iceland do a good range of fresh, tinned, household goods etc. Minimum basket £25, delivery is £2 or free if you spend over £35.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure