Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

lessonlearned
lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
edited 3 April 2019 at 11:33AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Good Morning Lovely Ladies (And Gents - if are are reading along).

Are you ready to start the New Year with a sparkle in your eye and a spring in your footsteps or are you feeling a little jaded, a little worse for wear, a tad sad and neglected.

Do you feel invisible. Does the face that stares back at you from the mirror seem like a stranger to you.

Just who is that tired old lady looking back out at you. :rotfl:

In short, have you become a Frump!!!

Well fret ye not, salvation is at hand.

Join our merry gang and make this the year you transform yourself.

Ditch the Frump and become the Fabulous Woman you know you can be.

And have some fun along the way.

The Story So Far.......

I have been looking back and I was astonished to discover that the First Frump to Fab thread began in 2011. Wow.

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Am I fabulous yet. Almost. :rotfl:

How did it all begin.

Well one day my son took a photo of me in an unguarded moment. I took one look and burst into tears. Who was that old hag, that strange woman who looked like a bag lady. That couldn't be me. So I ran upstairs and took a good hard look in a full length mirror.

Yes, dear reader, it was me.

I stopped snivelling and faced the truth. I was a mess. I resolved then and there to do something about it. I didn't know what that something was because at the time I was caring for my terminally ill husband and staring bankruptcy in the face.

I was exhausted, I looked terrible and if I'm honest, I felt desperate. I didn't know what I was going to do, or where to begin so I started the first Frump to Fab thread as a diary to spur me on and keep me motivated.

And the rest is history.

My life is truly unrecognisable from that day. And I am not the same woman.

I look better, feel better, my finances are better. I AM better.

Not quite Goddess standard yet ;) but getting there and working towards being fabulous and having a fabulous life.

So......if you want to "Change Your Stars" then join our merry gang.

Let's make 2019 the best one yet.

And......more Importantly, let's have some fun along the way.

One Golden Rule Please.

Be kind to one another.

Please do not be harsh or judgemental to others. None of us is perfect. It doesn't matter how we became Frumps what matters is how we are going to reclaim our looks, our energy, our joire de vie.

The past is the past and why we became Frumps is no longer relevant. It doesn't matter how we got here, what matters is how we move forward.

We are all here because we want to make things better. We want to look attractive, some of us might want to improve our health and fitness. All of us on here aspire to being the best we can be. So let's support each other.

For the Newbies, the Lurkers and as a refresher course for our regular members ......

I have posted the new thread earlier this year to give us some time to reflect and decide exactly what we want to achieve next year. Time to set goals, time for some strategic planning.

Over the next few days, in true MSE fashion, myself and our regulars will be talking about some simple easy and FREE steps you can make as you prepare to start as your journey to Fabdom.

So Welcome Everyone.

Let's get this show on the road.....

Let's Rock!!!!
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 December 2018 at 9:40AM
    Yay, thanks for the new thread.

My tips............

Drink lots of water - it’s free and will keep you healthy and fab. Get yourself a funky aluminium water bottle so you can keep hydrated whilst out and about.

Go for a bra fitting, but use this method for the best fit.
    http://thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.com/2013/03/bra-fitting.html

Take advantage of the sales and eBay for fabbing bargains. I think its worth investing in good underwear, bags and shoes and you can pick up some good deals cheaply.

Don’t forget about your mental well-being as well. I am not an expert, but to me, it’s about keeping your mind active, enjoying life and lots of laughter.
  • hello!

Is it ok if I join please? I had my son 2 years ago and split up with my ex husband when he was 3 weeks old. I let myself go quite a bit and now look like a blob haha. I did loose 3st 7lb on sw last year but gained 2st back :O so I am back at SW (after new year) and want to find myself again. I've gone from wearing nice colourful clothes to wearing anything that will hide my mum tum!

C xx
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm in again , n am deffo going to make a concerted effort to defrump.Will start by painting my nails red, n slapping a hair dye on tonight :D
    I got a Facebook timehop pic of myself 6 years ago, n I actually looked quite glam :eek:I've really let things go since I got attacked on New Years Eve 2012.Anyway I'm refusing to let it define the rest of my life :o
    'LL you're such an inspiration :A
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,491
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 December 2018 at 1:24PM
    Thanks for starting the new thread LL. I'm subscribed already!:D

I'm sure all our virtual friends will be along soon and it's great to see new friends joining.:T

I'm still mulling over possible resolutions for 2019. Drinking more water definitely needs to be down on my list chanie so thanks for that.:)

chocolatelover, I'd suggest you stick to your cover up clothes or whatever you already have until you start losing weight again. I'd suggest you buy nothing until you get to the weight you want to be. If you really must (like for work) go somewhere cheap like Matalan or a charity shop. Then when you are ready to buy, just buy things you really love or must have for practical reasons.:)

To continue the conversation from our old thread: Fantastic news sugarbaby. I'm so pleased that you were able to replace the holiday money so soon.:T

Do you mean you're paid up for council tax until 2019 or 2020? I didn't think councils had set the rates for 2020 yet unless yours is ahead of itself.

I'm using up some cleansers and toners at the moment. They're good Clarins ones but I find the Clinique one more efficient so that's what I'll be buying going forward along with wipes. The current products need cotton wool pads with them and the ones I have at the moment are absolute rubbish!:( They're much too fluffy and bits of cotton wool break off and stick to my face.:mad: Can anyone recommend a good supplier or might it be worth making my own reusable muslin ones? Ideas welcome.:)

Like you, I didn't bother to go to the shops yesterday LL. I do have enough in to manage today too but we're out all day tomorrow and then Monday (NYE) is likely to be manic so I think I'll have to brave it this afternoon. I don't need much but a few basics like eggs and milk. We're getting back to normal with meals mainly but healthy eating (i.e. not eating chocolates) will start proper on Wednesday.;)
  • sheilavw
    sheilavw Posts: 1,595
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    count me in too! Love this thread
  • Maman - that's a good idea about the clothes, I don't think I would feel comfortable in anything else atm. I love charity shops and aiming to not pay full price for any new clothes this year (sales only if needed and charity shops)!

With the pads my friend has some reusable ones that she says are really good (they actually look the same as my old reusable breast pads and they were so soft and washed lovely) :) I think you can get them on Amaz0n or Eb@y :)

C xx
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • I've had to go shopping, we have gone through so much food I can't believe it. My grandsons eat more than any adult I've ever known. I can't even think how much bread we have gone through in the last week. I feel decidedly unfab, I have had two nights with no sleep looking after sick toddler, day 9 or a house full of family so cooking has dominated everything. Next week I need to start fabbing.
  • I'd really like to join in too. Have gained 18lbs in the last 2 years and definitely need to lose that and hopefully a bit more. As I'm away over New Year, I'll be starting the new regime on Friday 4th.
    Looking forward to some tips and motivation from you lovely people :j
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 29 December 2018 at 2:55PM
    Just a quick heads up.......Sainsbury's have their 50% off houseware sale on. Some great bargains, especially cookware, saucepans, bakeware. I bought a nice plain white Egyptian cotton duvet cover set, trimmed with lace. Very pretty. Also used my £4.50 voucher off to treat myself to a nice big fat scented candle. :rotfl:

Stocked up on some yellow stickered goodies for the freezer.

I am planning on hosting a girly lunch sometime in January so I'm on the lookout for nice fancy "girly" foods. :rotfl:

Tired now so time for lunch and a rest.

:wave::wave: hello chocolatelover and Shoogley Peg. Welcome aboard.

Humpty......I know I'm in danger of you chewing my ear off but you do sound a tad overewhelmed this Christmas. Be sure to schedule some r&r just for you

Which brings me to my beauty tip.....
  • I'd love to join in for 2019 please. I've been reading the thread for several months now so feel its time to come out of the shadows :)

I was lucky enough to take early retirement this time last year and although I have increased my activity levels considerably over the year I find that I am beginning to struggle with getting my head around some of the issues that come with getting older (I'm in my late 50s)

I always dressed very smartly for my work (I was a school business manager) so I still have a wardrobe full of smart dresses, jackets and high heels but find it easier to just pull on jeans and hoodies these days.

My biggest issue though is that I have been having menopausal hot flushes for more than 5 years now which has basically affected many areas of my life but in particular, the way I dress as I have a whole wardrobe of lovely clothes with long sleeves and dresses that I can only wear with tights and I haven't worn any of them for 5 years!!

Just want to make sure I don't slip into complacency as I go on in my retirement :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure