IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Failed POPLA. Advice needed?

Hi,

I received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for parking in a Morrison’s for longer than I was allowed. It was actually around 22:00. I had been driving a long time and stopped for a couple of hours rest because I was tired. Turns out it was an ANPR operated car park.

I followed the NEWBIES thread. Submitted my case etc. Then needed to appeal Euro Car Parks response. Which I did. However, the input box for the appeal wasn’t long enough for my response, so I submitted the first paragraph in the input box and added “Please see attached” at the end. There was an option to attach further documentation. So I attached the rest of the appeal in a word document there. (Or so I thought).

I’ve just had my response from POPLA which said it was unsuccessful as I’d only said what was in the first paragraph and there was no attachment despite me saying “please see attachment”. I contacted POPLA again saying there was supposed to be an attachment. They said there wasn’t one, they can only assess what’s available and it’s a one step process.

Where do I go from here? :eek:

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,610
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Search the forum for POPLA lost and do what everyone else who loses v ECP does!

Searching is better than new threads. :)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Jakeh_2
    Jakeh_2 Posts: 71
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Firstly, I would suggest you remove any mention from your post of who was driving at the time of the alleged breach of contract. If your username is your real name, then I would suggest reading #1 on the NEWBIES thread - if not, then ignore me.

Did you state in your initial appeal to ECP or POPLA who the driver was?

You absolutely did make a mistake when uploading your appeal to POPLA and the section surrounding how to upload your appeal is quite clear, but the damage is done now.

Although the POPLA have not allowed your appeal, that doesn't mean you have to pay these scammers. Please head back to the NEWBIES thread as it tells you the next steps.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822
    What will happen if I lose at POPLA or IAS?

It changes nothing, just takes you back to square one. It is not a reason to pay, even though the decision will tell you to! Discussed here and in other threads you can find by searching this forum for 'lost IAS' or 'lost POPLA':

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5334100

What happens would be:

- you will most likely (unless it's a very litigious PPC) just get a series of hysterical 'pay up or else' debt collector letters, or maybe letters from the PPC themselves - see separate post about ignoring them, below. No need to panic.

or

- you might have to defend this if the PPC tries a small claim, and they might be buoyed by an IAS 'win' under their belt to brandish. If that happens, see post #2 above about beating a claim!
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,255
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Haven't you contacted the Morrisons' store manager, taking receipts for the day of the parking event, back copies of receipts/bank/cc statements and, if you have one, a 'More' loyalty card, all to show you are a regular custom of Morrisons.

Ms almost always cancel. Go and try.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    OP states the event was at 10pm and it was to catch up on sleep, I suspect most - but maybe not this one, not sure, unless op confirms - close at this time so asking the manager to cancel is maybe a long shot if no receipt has been obtained

I suspect the op could go down the route like a motorway service defence - not sure but putting it out there
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,610
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No need for any defence. It's only ECP!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure