Advice on phone & TV please

Went onto BT TV and broadband when I moved to this house and have stayed there ever since my contract ends next month and I know I should look at it but I don't really understand how it all works.
I would be happy with freeview only for the TV but do I still have to pay BT for line rental or if I go with someone else for broadband do their costs include line rental, I don't really understand how it all works so if someone could explain in plain language I would be very grateful.

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The basic telecoms package usually involves Broadband and Line Rental. This provides you with your Internet connection and Landline phone service. BT has a good customer service reputation, but tends to be at the higher price end of the market.

Freeview provides a bundle of channels that are received through your TV aerial and (as the name suggests) are provided free of charge through the TV Licence and advertising.

BT TV is a pay TV add-on to Freeview. If/when you cancel BT TV, they may ask for their Set-top Box back, in which case you will need to acquire a new Freeview box to replace it. These are easily available.

There are various deal finder websites, including the MSE one here: https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/

Basic Broadband and Landline contracts start from £16-17pm. Broadband only offers are becoming available, but do not generally offer a price saving.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As above .
    Line Rental is to rent the line that your BB data comes down .
    First sort out what you really want re TV and price up .
    Then near end of BT contract phone them and say you want to cance as you can get XX at £££ .
    They may make an offer .
    Or just decide on your new ISP sign up with them and they handle the lot .

is your BT TV contract ending nex month as well .
  • Freyagirl
    Freyagirl Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for your replies that gives me a better idea, yes JJ Egan my BT TV contract is up at the same time.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    BT TV is a pay TV add-on to Freeview. If/when you cancel BT TV, they may ask for their Set-top Box back, in which case you will need to acquire a new Freeview box to replace it. These are easily available.

Chances are good that the OP has a Freeview TV so no need for a separate box unless recording is a requirement.
  • Freyagirl
    Freyagirl Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Chances are good that the OP has a Freeview TV so no need for a separate box unless recording is a requirement.

Pretty sure I don't have a freeview TV, it's over 10 years old, and prior to being here I used to have an Humax box.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    10 years ago many if not nearly all TVs would be capable of OTA channels .
    Go to settings and look for channel tunening .
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I was assuming that the OP would want recording capability.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure