Electric cars

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    There's definitely a market for a very low frills EV, like a Dacia Sandero.
    Presumably the EVs are still aimed at luxury users but will change at some point.

Luxury users, or company car drivers? Even when I was a rather unambitious systems analyst I never achieved the heady heights of a company car and have always had a very practical (cheapskate!) approach to motoring. When I hear of people complaining about 'poverty specs' I'm just 'meh', so a Sandero type car would be fine by me. But I am hoping for more widespread fleet adoption and a subsequently better supplied second-hand market.

More models with provision for tow bars and roof racks would also help widen the appeal.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tesla At Least 4–5 Years Ahead Of Competition — According To German Auto Industry Expert

I suspect the fightback has begun in Germany, and the Zoe50 package is getting a lot of praise, so France is doing well too.

Not sure about Japan, Toyota is still pushing 'self-charging' electric vehicles :rotfl: but are bringing their BEV plans forward.

All good news, I think.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    What price will the new leafs come at. Thanks.

If you ask around you can get one for around £33k. CarWow or try a few dealers.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Luxury users, or company car drivers?

Both, I guess. Luxury buyers are generally the early adopters (like the Tesla S), then the fleet drivers when they become cheaper, then eventually mass market. We're still at the point where the EV offerings are the highest spec in the range, but I don't think it'll be long until we're seeing base spec models with EV powertrains.
  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    In our household we run two cars and every household is different and have different reasons for their choices.

We have....

A largish 4x4 which is a 3 month old petrol P200 S Auto AWD Jaguar E Pace which replaced a BMW X5 Diesel as we wanted to move away from diesel, downsize and take money off the table. The jaguar cost €43,550

A small “town” car which is presently a petrol Fiat 500 which cost €16,000 8 years ago and has 45,000k on the clock. Very low running costs.

It is our hope and intention to replace the Fiat by jumping over hybrid straight to plug in.

Like you I cannot get the man maths to work on replacing the second family car with an EV, at sub 6K per year on a fully owned reliable car no new EV can come close to absolutely ownership costs.

BUT its not the small second car you should replace with an EV, its the €43k E pace!!

Model Y will be out next year, it will have much more utility than an E pace, and will even be offered in 7 seater config. Pricing will start at €40-45k, and range will be same as our 75D X, which has now done 35k in just over 2 years!!

I suspect you may be worried about EV range, but unless your really doing 200 miles+ non stop trips regularly range isn't an issue.

We've just done a 430 mile road trip around the English Lake District, stopped only twice, once the drive up and once drive home, these stops would have happened even in a petrol car to brake up a 3 hr motorway trip.

Family roads trips in the EV is so easy we are planning UK to Norway next year, and am still working on my wife for Lake Como - one comprise is she and the rest of the family files, and I drive to met them there!!
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    gzoom wrote: »
    Like you I cannot get the man maths to work on replacing the second family car with an EV, at sub 6K per year on a fully owned reliable car no new EV can come close to absolutely ownership costs.

BUT its not the small second car you should replace with an EV, its the €43k E pace!!

Model Y will be out next year, it will have much more utility than an E pace, and will even be offered in 7 seater config. Pricing will start at €40-45k, and range will be same as our 75D X, which has now done 35k in just over 2 years!!

I suspect you may be worried about EV range, but unless your really doing 200 miles+ non stop trips regularly range isn't an issue.

We've just done a 430 mile road trip around the English Lake District, stopped only twice, once the drive up and once drive home, these stops would have happened even in a petrol car to brake up a 3 hr motorway trip.

Family roads trips in the EV is so easy we are planning UK to Norway next year, and am still working on my wife for Lake Como - one comprise is she and the rest of the family files, and I drive to met them there!!

You could have a point and the next few years will tell.
    We might even drop to one car in due course as we live in a country where public transport will be free from March 1st 2020 which might mean we don’t need a city car and will need only one car for medium to long journeys.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    :spam:

Spam posts with links to other sites (that you are affiliated with) aren't allowed.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Tesla are number 1 in the US. :T

Or to be precise TSLA is number 1, as the value of their shares that have been shorted has now overtaken Apple, at approx $10bn. And for comparison, as Apple is worth about 30x more than Tesla, shorted shares represent approx 1% of Apple, and just shy of 35% for Tesla.

I'm a bit wary of calling out 'conspiracy theory', but something very odd is going on here, as even with the share price down 30-50%, shorting continues ....... so is 'outside' money being used, such as big oil, to reduce the shareprice and thereby slow down expansion?

Anyways, time to put my money where my mouth is and invest in Tesla - since I strongly believe in EV's, and the need to decarbonize the transport sector, and personally think Tesla has, and is driving this forward faster than it otherwise would.

So I've bought some shares ...... how bad can it get :o :rotfl: :o so fingers crossed for a short squeeze.

I may be wrong, but I think any and all expansion of BEV offerings and sales will be a good thing for Tesla, since competition will eat into ICE sales, not Tesla sales, and prove the concept for those doubting companies that are going down that route.

Fun times ahead.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    How does a low share price going to slow down expansion?

I’m feeling some regret about my new Model S purchase at the moment, it has just too many problems and any spirited driving at all sees the range drop below 200 miles.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    How does a low share price going to slow down expansion?

I’m feeling some regret about my new Model S purchase at the moment, it has just too many problems and any spirited driving at all sees the range drop below 200 miles.

The value of a company will impact on the amount of money they can borrow, and the rate at which they can borrow it.

Think of a simple personal example - you've got a great idea for a new business and plan to borrow the capital against your house. If the value of your house halved, you wouldn't be able to borrow as much, and might have to pay a higher rate too. But your house hasn't changed, only its paper value.

Aside from selling more shares to raise investment capital, Tesla's lower market capitalization (market cap) will impact on their 'normal' business borrowing, and also on external funding, since they now have less value to back up borrowing, and there's also the most recent share action (large drop) that will weigh on the minds of potential lenders/investors.

What's interesting to see with Tesla is the direct correlation between share price and share shorting.

The year started with a share price of about $340 and about 26m shares shorted. The number of shorted shares has risen steadily to around 46m, and the share price fell steadily to around $180, before rising during June to about $220.

If you'd shorted Tesla at $300+, then $180 would be a great price to close your position at (shorting involves borrowing shares at a very low interest rate, perhaps 1%, then selling them, before buying some back at a lower price to return them).

Interestingly, Tesla shorting has continued despite June's share price pushback, which seems to fly in the face of normal shorting, and might suggest outside monies trying to push Tesla even further down. The value of shorted Tesla shares is around $10bn, whilst 'big oil' makes around $200bn per month. So if the shorting is to hurt the company, not to make money, then it could be a good investment if it slows down BEV deployment.

TBF much of this is conspiracy theory, and hence why I used to be doubtful, but things have gone to such an extreme that one has to wonder if outside forces are being applied.

The best situation for Tesla (and my share holding) would be a short squeeze - this is when the share price actually rises and some shorts decide to close their position (buy shares), this pushes the price up higher and faster, and more shorts have to rush to buy shares, causing a rapid spiralling up of the share price. This was seen about 10yrs ago when VW was shorted, and when this was spotted a squeeze forced a five fold increase in their share price.

But would there be a short squeeze this time, if the shorter's aren't worried about the losses, so don't rush to close their position in a race against other shorts?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback