astute capital safe?

Is astute capital a safe place to invest in an ISA?

Comments

• I think so, there are fund managers in place and FCA trustees too. The London capital thing was ridiculous, they were lending money to pals and caravan parks etc. It was different I think. The astute MD is also proper. I saw this looked into it
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,400
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I think so, there are fund managers in place and FCA trustees too. The London capital thing was ridiculous, they were lending money to pals and caravan parks etc. It was different I think. The astute MD is also proper. I saw this looked into it
    And here we go, new [STRIKE]shills[/STRIKE]posters joining to make a solitary contribution in support of an operation that everyone else is running a mile from because of the risks highlighted in the above posts!

Go on then, feel free to try to make a somewhat more cogent and compelling case than "The astute MD is also proper. I saw this looked into it" - anyone swayed by that sort of pitifully inadequate 'due diligence' deserves all they get IMHO....
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Forumite
    I think so, there are fund managers in place and FCA trustees too. The London capital thing was ridiculous, they were lending money to pals and caravan parks etc.
    However, the 'ridiculous' rival product you mention were not telling the investors that they were lending money to pals and caravan parks, because they were offering an unregulated investment opportunity. This thread is also about an unregulated investment opportunity where it is not possible or economical for you to do thorough due diligence on exactly what the 'fund managers' will be buying for you and how they have performed in the past and whether any of the money gets 'invested' with their mates.
    It was different I think.
    How?

As the LC&F company were not offering a regulated investment they would *say* that their smart managers would invest the money well and hopefully make enough money that you would be able to get the advertised return on your capital, and that there was some sort of security trustee or guarantee - but as they are not regulated they can be economical with the truth. In the small print you could lose everything, and there is no practical investor compensation scheme protection because it was not a regulated product and they were not offering you regulated investment advice.

And now here you are as a brand new sign-up on the forum with zero posting history taking about another unregulated opportunity which has managers and makes claims which it doesn't have to back up because it's not regulated, and mentions in the small print you can lose everything, but you reckon the MD is "proper" and you "looked into it."

Excuse me if I don't invest any money on the back of brummiesaver's [thoughtful recommendation / social media advertising].
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think so, there are fund managers in place and FCA trustees too. The London capital thing was ridiculous, they were lending money to pals and caravan parks etc. It was different I think. The astute MD is also proper. I saw this looked into it

Have you found a dictionary and put some words together that you think may impress people?

FCA trusteees lol.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I think so, there are fund managers in place and FCA trustees too. The London capital thing was ridiculous, they were lending money to pals and caravan parks etc. It was different I think. The astute MD is also proper. I saw this looked into it

Fortunately your post is unconvincing enough that you're unlikely to have talked anyone into investing into Astute.

But could you live with yourself if they did and they lost it all?
  • Their Facebook reviews are interesting.

They have 5 reviews all from Feb 2018, 4 of these are from people in India/Pakistan.

The last review, is from somebody in the UK, that is also the director of a SEO company.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 16 June 2019 at 9:14AM
    Just to reiterate, it's my personal opinion, that I am free to express, that going by the own words,
    You’re Not Guaranteed Your Money Back
    Your money is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, so you are not guaranteed your capital back. Also, no matter how careful we are, there is always a chance – no matter how slim – of liquidity or fraud, with any business we provide a loan to.

Of course other investing platforms will have similar disclaimers about risk, after all look at Woodford, the difference is, AFAICS, this is being compared to fixed interest accounts rather than stock markets by dint of calling the returns "interest" , and its being aimed at people who don't want to get into the scary world of stock market investments.

They call the return they say they will pay, interest, not dividends or growth. So anyone thinking of putting their money here should compare it with other interest bearing accounts with their FSCS guarantees, rather than stock market investments where your money is also at risk of being the clumsy hands of someone like Neil Woodford or worse.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,898
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    This post is #14 at time of writing.
  • A savings account/ISA with an bank is safe.

Astute Capital PLC offers Unregulated, non FCSC protected investments. Unregulated investments are not to be considered safe.

From their own website
    "Your capital is at risk and interest payments are not guaranteed. Investment in the ASTUTE CAPITAL PLC Bonds is not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). In the event of a loan default or if ASTUTE CAPITAL PLC becomes insolvent, you may lose some or all of your investment, including interest payments due. If you are in any doubt about making an investment you are strongly recommended to consult a trained professional financial advisor. Before you subscribe to the ASTUTE CAPITAL PLC you should ensure that you fully understand the risks and determine whether the investment is suitable for you on the basis of all the information available, including the ASTUTE CAPITAL PLC prospectus."
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,277
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business