Electric Toothbrushes

Options
Does anyone have any recommendations or any ones that I should avoid?

I've currently got a Colgate Omron one but it's dying a death.

There are so many out there to choose from and it gets a bit confusing hence asking on here. I've seen some close to £100 but unsure if the all singing all dancing ones are really all singing and all dancing.

Thanks.

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You can get some £150 > £200 too! They have really wizzy gadgets with them, like smartphone apps that will watch how you brush and show you which areas you're spending the time in and which you're not.

But - the thing that cleans your teeth is the speed and action of the brush head - not the flashy gadgets that come alongside.

Oral B toothbrushes are, in my opinion, and that of properly published research - the most efficient toothbrushes out there. (It's a very dear Oral B one that has the motion sensor app). But the head speed & action is just the same on all their brushes from the lower mid-range up. So in terms of tooth cleaning, the action of a £50 one is just as good as their top-of-the-range flagship.

Coupled to that - those Oral B brushes are always on a half price offer somewhere. So you can buy as good a toothbrush as you need for £25-30 if you look in the right shop.

Make sure you change the brush head frequently though, and don't buy cheap copy heads. (But getting several genuine ones when they're on offer is also a good idea)

If you like gadgets and toys, then there is no harm in getting the dear one. If the technology makes you want to play with it more and for longer, then that will only be a good thing, and your oral health will benefit. If you want to keep it basic - then you can.

I'm not a fan of ultrasonic toothbrushes. The research does not back up their claims, and they are very expensive for what they do. Also avoid any toothbrush you have to change the battery in - they are just too bottom end, and pretty much anything you find in the discount shops with odd names.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oral B in Argos at the moment for £17
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts