giving out bank details to a buyer

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can't just reverse a bank transfer unilaterally.
    Usually it's where the money has been accidentally paid into the wrong account and is transferred back with the agreement of the recipient. And it's certainly not instantaneous.
    I suspect you are thinking of bank drafts which were used to scam people. Direct payments into a bank account are safe to do.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ailey
    ailey Posts: 3,184 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    You can't just reverse a bank transfer unilaterally.
    Usually it's where the money has been accidentally paid into the wrong account and is transferred back with the agreement of the recipient. And it's certainly not instantaneous.
    I suspect you are thinking of bank drafts which were used to scam people. Direct payments into a bank account are safe to do.

Thanks elsien. I'm not too sure as I've never used either but just going by information I've read and people saying not to use bank transfers. There is a site where people sell tickets and there has been someone who was scamming others by saying that they didn't have a Paypal account and wanted the payment by Bank Transfer when others were buying her tickets. She then didn't forward the tickets and the buyers had no protection as they would have had if it had been Paypal transactions. This person scammed various people doing this. Different circumstances but always good to know.
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ailey wrote: »
    Thanks elsien. I'm not too sure as I've never used either but just going by information I've read and people saying not to use bank transfers. There is a site where people sell tickets and there has been someone who was scamming others by saying that they didn't have a Paypal account and wanted the payment by Bank Transfer when others were buying her tickets. She then didn't forward the tickets and the buyers had no protection as they would have had if it had been Paypal transactions. This person scammed various people doing this. Different circumstances but always good to know.

But that's the reverse of the op's situation and proves that if you send money by bank transfer then you can't recall it. I'm sure those who sent the money tried and it failed.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ailey wrote: »

Yes that is correct, a buyer can't reverse or get back their payment without recipient's agreement, and that contradicts what you said in your earlier post. Bank transfers are safe for a seller, not at all safe for a buyer.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 June 2019 at 10:12AM
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Can you sell a puppy on eBay :huh: ? Car boots and Jumble Sales not much better...

No, you can't sell livestock on eBay, and the OP doesn't mention ebay.

What sort of puppy is it ? For someone to travel 300 miles to collect it suggests an uncommon breed. If not, I'd be wondering why they can't buy one locally

Having bought s puppy a couple of years ago, £300 is quite cheap, so I'd be questioning the sort of people buying it and what they want it for.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    seashore22 wrote: »
    All they need to transfer money to you is the same information that is on a cheque (remember those?) and we used to hand those out all over the place. You give them your account number and sort code. They can only transfer money in, not take it out.

Plus your signature and your address on the back. Happy days!
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    No, you can't sell livestock on eBay, and the OP doesn't mention ebay.
    So is it a Jumble Sale or a Car Boot then OP?

Might make a difference if the OP (who has not returned yet) is running an ongoing business or just selling off a litter. I'm guessing at that price it's a desirable breed.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • stripeyfox
    stripeyfox Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    additionally I only ever list my litters on the Kennel Club website. I did list the first litter on Pets4Homes but it didn't raise much in the way of responses and those that did respond were not ideal owners in my opinion.

The KC website lists only that a litter is ready. No prices, no pictures. People email me and we strike up a conversation about their experience with dogs, family and work life etc and we go from there.

If people start haggling on the price right away, I walk away. If you're buying a puppy then trying to save £50 should not really be your first question!
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    So is it a Jumble Sale or a Car Boot then OP?

Might make a difference if the OP (who has not returned yet) is running an ongoing business or just selling off a litter. I'm guessing at that price it's a desirable breed.

Have you looked at the price of puppies lately ? A cockapoo costs about £1200 !
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    French bulldogs seem to be the rage nowadays.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure