Should I Go Back To Dentist ?

venomx
venomx Posts: 1,118 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 15 June 2019 at 12:23PM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
Had a checkup last month and after doing two x-rays was told I have a cavity and he recommended getting a filling, which I had yesterday.

After close inspection there is a small brown crack on one of my other teeth ( on the side of it ) , I’m considering going back to get it checked out, however surely if it was a concern he would have noticed it ?

He mentioned the word " Watch " twice whilst doing my check up last month. Not sure whether to leave it until my next check up or go in asap to get it checked ? Thanks

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Why not ask the receptionist/dentist if he wants to see you again about this?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • venomx
    theoretica wrote: »
    Why not ask the receptionist/dentist if he wants to see you again about this?

They're not open over the weekend which is why im asking
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Well you wouldn't see anyone over the weekend anyway!

Ring up on Monday and let them know your concerns and see what they say.

On the vast majority of patients over 30 there are stains lines & marks that can look like cracks. If I tried to note every one individually, a check up would last hours. The vast majority are completely normal.

The problem is, people very rarely look closely at their teeth on a regular basis! Occasionally they will have a look just before they go to the dentist - but mostly they have a really good look just after the dentist has done something to see what it looks like now! That's when they spot all sorts of things and think "Ooohh - is this right?" But it is almost certainly something that has been like that for years!

Obviously I can't say this with certainty. I can't see your mouth. So the best way to put your mind at rest is to ring up and see what they say.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • venomx
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    Well you wouldn't see anyone over the weekend anyway!

Ring up on Monday and let them know your concerns and see what they say.

On the vast majority of patients over 30 there are stains lines & marks that can look like cracks. If I tried to note every one individually, a check up would last hours. The vast majority are completely normal.

The problem is, people very rarely look closely at their teeth on a regular basis! Occasionally they will have a look just before they go to the dentist - but mostly they have a really good look just after the dentist has done something to see what it looks like now! That's when they spot all sorts of things and think "Ooohh - is this right?" But it is almost certainly something that has been like that for years!

Obviously I can't say this with certainty. I can't see your mouth. So the best way to put your mind at rest is to ring up and see what they say.

Thanks for the information, I'll take your advice and contact them tomorrow then.
    Waiting times for my dentist are ridiculous so i could be in a queue for a while

Thanks anyway :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport