Redundancy - lack of information

Options
16 days ago my employer advised us our jobs would be made redundant. All work is being handled at another office (relocation not an option). We have the option of applying for different projects but only 2 jobs available for 4 people. Two chose to apply, two (including me) chose to leave.

Since then we have had no information whatsoever.

One of the management informed me their understanding is that those of us who are leaving, will be doing so in next 2 weeks (4 week notice period). We have had no official information. We have asked for information and meetings which do not happen.

Am I right in saying that the notice must be provided in writing or could they claim the notice was provided verbally 2 weeks ago and ask us to leave in next 2 weeks?

Thanks

Comments

• iarniee
    iarniee Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    16 days ago my employer advised us our jobs would be made redundant. All work is being handled at another office (relocation not an option). We have the option of applying for different projects but only 2 jobs available for 4 people. Two chose to apply, two (including me) chose to leave.

Since then we have had no information whatsoever.

One of the management informed me their understanding is that those of us who are leaving, will be doing so in next 2 weeks (4 week notice period). We have had no official information. We have asked for information and meetings which do not happen.

Am I right in saying that the notice must be provided in writing or could they claim the notice was provided verbally 2 weeks ago and ask us to leave in next 2 weeks?

Thanks

How big is the company, would this not of been a proposal? Surely they would of had to go through collective consultation?

Why are they moving the office?
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Greta_Sharbo Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    I thought collective consultation was only needed for certain numbers (20?) - I'm no expert though.
    Approximately 50 paid staff overall but 16 working on the project I am employed on.

Of the 16, 4 are in one location - jobs redundant, 12 are in another location and some of those have moved to part time hours due to the lack of work available.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They will probably just do PILON when they're ready so I'd just go with the flow for a few weeks
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    How long have you worked there?
  • Greta_Sharbo
    edited 13 June 2019 at 9:09AM
    Options
    Today I was handed a letter telling me my notice period ends next week. They consider the notice was given verbally at the first meeting. If Im interpreting correctly, ACAS state notice starts when written confirmation of end date is given

The letter did not state how much redundancy pay was due nor when it would be paid, which if the info on ACAS website is correct, is required.

Ive worked there for 3 years and 2 months. (edit - my contract requires 4 weeks notice after 2 or more years service)
  • getmore4less
    Options
    http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4095

on the 6th you said.
    16 days ago my employer advised us our jobs would be made redundant.

What exactly was said as that is what they will be relying on.
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Options
    https://beta.acas.org.uk/manage-staff-redundancies/give-staff-notice-of-redundancy

Tried to call ACAS but couldnt get through this morning, will try later.

They said very little to be honest - that out of 4 of us there would be two jobs available in other projects if anyone interested but at least 2 of us would be made redundant. They advised we would get information about the other roles that would be available.

That information wasnt given until week commencing 3rd June and we were asked to express interest. I did not express interest and they advised me yesterday redundancy would happen for me.

I have no problem with being made redundant - I dont want to work in the other projects - but the way they have gone about it doesnt seem right to me.
  • getmore4less
    Options
    that out of 4 of us there would be two jobs available in other projects if anyone interested but at least 2 of us would be made redundant. They advised we would get information about the other roles that would be available.

I would argue that until the other roles were made available you were in consultation.
    but the way they have gone about it doesnt seem right to me

What outcome do you want?
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Options
    I would argue that until the other roles were made available you were in consultation.

What outcome do you want?

That they follow the correct procedures. I think its important for all of us that employers are not allowed to do whatever they think they can get away with. If I'm entitled to 4 weeks written notice, I feel that is what I should get unless we mutually agree otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure