Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • huskie69
    • By huskie69 12th Jun 19, 12:58 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 3Thanks
    huskie69
    Paid for a 3 Piece Suit - still wating for the final piece
    • 12th Jun 19, 12:58 PM
    Paid for a 3 Piece Suit - still wating for the final piece 12th Jun 19 at 12:58 PM
    Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on a recent purchase...

On June 22 (10 days) I'm getting married. Back on May 8th, I went to a local suit shop on the hunt for a nice suit. I ended up spending 320 on a 3 piece suit and shirt.

The jacket and trousers needed some alterations to make them fit. The matching waistcoat was not available in store and had to be ordered in.

I've been chasing every week and the waistocat has still not arrived - it's now been 5 weeks and the store owner has suggested I look at other styles as he's having difficulty from his supplier.

In the meantime, I've found another suit shop who has a silimlar suit in stock and in my size.

I feel like I should just return the current jacket and trousers, get a refund and buy the suit from the other retailer.

As the original suit (at least jacket and trousers) have been altered, what are my consumer rights? Can I do this?
Page 1
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 12th Jun 19, 1:11 PM
    • 2,425 Posts
    • 2,072 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 12th Jun 19, 1:11 PM
    • 12th Jun 19, 1:11 PM
    I don't know the answer but I would think it'd be tricky if the jacket and trousers have already been altered to fit you.

You've still got ten days to play with. See if it turns up - and hope it fits!

If it doesn't turn up or if it doesn't fit (and the shop knew you needed it for a certain date) I'd be looking to negotiate some money off. Off the top of my head I'd want a minimum of 50, probably more.

Unless the shop will accept the return and give a refund, I wouldn't get another suit unless I wanted one.
    • tehone
    • By tehone 12th Jun 19, 2:53 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    tehone
    • 12th Jun 19, 2:53 PM
    • 12th Jun 19, 2:53 PM
    Is the shop part of a chain. If so is the waistcoat in stock in any branch at all? If so then the best solution is that by whatever means necessary, the shop arranges for this as an urgent courier delivery to you.

With regard to a new suit - you'd probably need that altered too - is there time for this?

Possible alternate - get a different nice waistcoat (its quite other nice to have a waistcoat that doesn't match - though obviously it still needs to complement the suit) - using what ever seems a reasonable part refund from the shop for the waistcoat.

Focus on the marriage, and why you're doing it, don't stress about suit - it'll detract from the day.
    • huskie69
    • By huskie69 13th Jun 19, 2:35 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    huskie69
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:35 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:35 PM
    No, it's an independent store, the only one local to me. There seems to be an abbundance of bridal wear shops, but all the men's suit shops have closed down over the last few years.

I ended up doing a 150 mile round trip to get another complete 3 piece last night (originally went to see if I could get a matching waistcoat but no luck).

Wallet's even lighter but at least I have a full 3 piece now.
    • tehone
    • By tehone 13th Jun 19, 3:14 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    tehone
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:14 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:14 PM
    At least you don't have the stress of worrying what to wear at the wedding now - enjoy your day!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,590Posts Today

7,820Users online

Martin's Twitter