The Mortgage Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• a. The date you decided to become a MFW

b. Mortgage Debt at its highest
    £200k

c. Mortgage-Free Date
    May 2019

d. Your one pearl of wisdom.
    Use your time wisely, find a hobby thats in-expensive. It'll keep your spirits high whilst costs low.

Mortgage free - 01/05/2019, mortgage high £200k 2011
  • Youthgonewild
    Youthgonewild Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I always love reading this. Well done you lot. Nice to see it can be done. I feel like I have centuries to go yet :rotfl:
    Mortgage balance October 2015: £99875 Mortgage balance June 2023: £69999.40
  • Simby
    Simby Posts: 240 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 4 May 2019 at 11:34AM
    May I please add myself to the mortgage free roll of honour ( how do I get the badge?)

42 mortgage free by selling two properties in Aus and moving back home where we could buy mortgage free into our forever home.

Mortgage debt at highest

On main house 570k Aud so about 400k in pounds

Date I decided to before mortgage free

July 2018.

Date I became mortgage free

July 2018.

How I did it

Moved from Au sold expensive Sydney property before crash used equity to buy forever home.

Pearl of wisdom

Buy something you can afford, we chose not to spend 600k on a house and live a little outside in a slightly smaller house to become mortgage free ( 3 bed as opposed to 4. We will extend when we have the money saved.
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    edited 2 June 2019 at 12:27PM
    a. The date you decided to become a MFW as soon as we got the mortgage!
    b. Mortgage Debt at its highest £197,100 on 20/12/2013
    c. Mortgage-Free Date 09/04/2019 (bit of a cheat as we sold the house and haven't bought another yet! final mortgage balance was £91,715.72)
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom. make it into a game to see where you can cut back the budget and add a few extra pennies/pounds to the mortgage. (I tried to OP as often as possible, even if it was just a few pennies.)
    e. The MSE Mortgage guides and others that helped you various diaries
    f. And if you had a mortgage freedom diary on MFW, a link to it. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5324614
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Great news hiddenshadow :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,294 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    I am reporting that of today we are mortgage free. For me the last 25 years have flown by - but they have had there struggles.
    I moved in to our little house ( never wanted a bigger house- my motto live within your means- never inherited or won a vast sum of money, so stayed here, nor had jobs with high wages). Moved in June 20th 1994, my DD was born in the Aug.
    Split with partner in 1998 - but managed to keep house on my wages and same mortgage (luckily-otherwise would have been looking at council housing). I met my new DH and we married and stayed here. There are only 2 of us now and I only work part-time, so this house suits us.

A)Date Decided to become MF 20th June 1994
    B Mortgage debt at its highest £18,000
    CMortgage Free Date 20th June 2019
    D Always have a Re payment mortgage as you know you are paying the mortgage off in FULL, with no extras to pay at the end of the term

E My mom helped with a deposit which as original price of house was £21,500

F I did not have any Diary

Good Luck to everyone still on the mortgage free wannabee journey.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I am reporting that of today we are mortgage free. For me the last 25 years have flown by - but they have had there struggles.
    I moved in to our little house ( never wanted a bigger house- my motto live within your means- never inherited or won a vast sum of money, so stayed here, nor had jobs with high wages). Moved in June 20th 1994, my DD was born in the Aug.
    Split with partner in 1998 - but managed to keep house on my wages and same mortgage (luckily-otherwise would have been looking at council housing). I met my new DH and we married and stayed here. There are only 2 of us now and I only work part-time, so this house suits us.

A)Date Decided to become MF 20th June 1994
    B Mortgage debt at its highest £18,000
    CMortgage Free Date 20th June 2019
    D Always have a Re payment mortgage as you know you are paying the mortgage off in FULL, with no extras to pay at the end of the term

E My mom helped with a deposit which as original price of house was £21,500

F I did not have any Diary

Good Luck to everyone still on the mortgage free wannabee journey.

Well done :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Well done comps!
    Mortgage balance October 2015: £99875 Mortgage balance June 2023: £69999.40
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Well done you!
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • MargB
    MargB Posts: 111 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud! PPI Party Pooper Uniform Washer
    woo-hoo

I can now say I am finally debt free
    have had the letter from the bank to say that my mortgage account is now closed (as its all paid off)

a. The date you decided to become a MFW - 24/09/2008
    b. Mortgage Debt at its highest - about £100,000
    c. Mortgage-Free Date - 1st July 2019
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom - every penny helps. I made overpayments whenever I could, so I knocked 4 years off the mortgage. Not as many as some others, I know, but I'm proud of doing it

I've always been more of a lurker then a poster, but I'd like to say a big thanks you to everyone on these boards.
    Debts (incl Mortgage) at LBM (24/09/08) £102849 :eek: Now £0. DFD 1st July 2019
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback