Nutmeg crowdfunding

Hi, Is anyone considering the Nutmeg crowd funding which will be opening to existing customers of Nutmeg at some point this year, probably in the next month or two? I am and wondered what the general feeling was about this move by Nutmeg.
I joined Nutmeg as a result of the investing inventive through MSE in April last year and I have to say so far it's been very good from an interest point of view and the transparency of their monthly market commentary.

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What is it about a company that has never been profitable, and is reliant on a continual stream of investor's money, that attracts you to this investment?

I'd have reservations about being a customer, let alone an investor.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    bavesr wrote: »
    I joined Nutmeg as a result of the investing inventive through MSE in April last year and I have to say so far it's been very good from an interest point of view and the transparency of their monthly market commentary.

Those aren't good reasons to bank-roll the company!

That good interest is underpinned by a company that consistently makes a loss.

Do you want to help fund that loss?

https://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager/news/nutmeg-losses-soar-to-12-4-million-as-regulatory-costs-bite/a1162755
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I thought there was a previous thread on Nutmeg's crowdfunding (around March) but I can't find it now.

In any case, the main question for the OP is:

1) if they invested in Nutmeg because they wanted a hands-off medium risk solution,
    2) and were willing to pay extra for a very restricted fund selection due to their limited knowledge to prevent them investing in the wrong thing,
    3) why do they suddenly want to go for ultra-high-risk venture capital investment in a loss making startup.
    4) Also, which 15-20 other startups do they plan to fund to have a vague hope of making money out of venture capital investment.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    OP, when you say an "interest" POV, do you mean "interest" in the sense of "this is an interesting strategy / fund " or "I'm getting x% return"
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have not and will not consider it, as a general rule I stay away from crowd funding as we know it.

N.B. I appreciate that effectively investing is crowd funding to some respect by pooling assets, but I'm referring to the crowd funding that OP is referring to.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport