Individual Electoral Registration – changes voting registration

Options

Comments

• usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    No doubt you'll be moaning at a later date on MSE about your inability to arrange a mortgage or obtain a car purchase loan.

Don't need a mortgage and I pay cash for everything. I dont give a fat damn about my imaginary credit score.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    usefulmale wrote: »
    Don't need a mortgage and I pay cash for everything. I dont give a fat damn about my imaginary credit score.

If you pay cash then no problem. Your second comment misses the point entirely.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    For me, I will respond with the info they already have but they can whistle for my NI number and DOB.

I think that is good advice. I wouldn't, however, expect a definitive answer from the EC about how they would view such a stance.

The NI number has a specific purpose. The scope creep which now sees it used for something else is potentially dangerous and could put us on the road, yet again, to a national identity card.
  • usefulmale
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    If you pay cash then no problem. Your second comment misses the point entirely.

What IS the point then?
  • foofi22
    foofi22 Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree with you GingerBob and there is NO WAY I am handing over my NI number and DOB. It may not be happening right now, but a few years down the line, the CRAs will be given this info and thats all its for. I will take the fine anyday.

Somerset - My understanding of what the Electoral Commission have said is that if you supply all your info EXCEPT your NI number and DOB, they MAY refuse the application but will not fine you. If you dont respond to the invitation to register letter, you COULD be subject to an £80 fine. If you supply false info, thats more serious.

For me, I will respond with the info they already have but they can whistle for my NI number and DOB.

Could you explain why you are so against providing you DOB and NI number?
    Thanks
  • Lakeuk
    Lakeuk Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Got my letter from the local council saying they've moved me to the new system with them highlighting that with their open register they'll be able to sell the details on, I'd prefer not to be on the receiving end of marketing rubbish from companies buying my name/address, but if I have myself removed does it mean credit agencies don't get this data and hence potentially could hit my credit rating score - would seem no positive outcome which ever way your go :eek:
  • humzan
    Options
    This is a question for Electoral Commison, I contacted my local council and gave them my DOB & NI number.

They said they will check this and get back to me.

I asked that they remove my NI number from their records after info been checcked as they shouldnt have this. They refused-are they able to do this?
  • burgensteen
    Options
    Just got my letter today saying ("currently you are listed on the open register"). I have never been asked or agreed to my personal information being held or sold for any other purpose than electoral register!!! which begs the question is this legal?, if so how?
    Can I demand a breakdown of the organizations that bought my information and when under the freedom of information act (as it is my information being sold) + If I opt out what happens to the information that has already been sold.

Apologies if it seems a bit dramatic but I never give my information to anyone so who the hell are these people to hold and sell my information without my permission.

Thanks for any nfo
  • usefulmale
    Options
    foofi22 wrote: »
    Could you explain why you are so against providing you DOB and NI number?
    Thanks

Well, for a start foofi, my NI number is for the administration of tax and benefits. It is not an identity number and it certainly is not proof of eligibility to vote. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, it is possible for, say, an American citizen over here working to have an NI number but that citizen is not allowed to vote. That introduces a new method of fraudulent voting into the system that they say is apparently already rife with fraud.

My DOB is totally irrelevent. On our registration letter, underneath where it asks for you DOB, there are 3 tickboxes, Under 18, 18 to 70 and Over 70. I am happy to tick the relevant box.

Personally, I think this voter register looks like a foundation stone for another National Identity Database and I don't like that kind of thing.
  • tony750cc
    Options
    I am 49 years old and have lived in the UK all my adult life. I have never been on the electoral register and never voted in any elections. I have had mortgages, credit cards and loans. I last took out a mortgage a couple of years ago when i changed banks. They asked to confirm i was on the voters register and i told them i wasnt. He thought it may affect my application and went to check....came back a few minutes later and said "doesnt make any difference to them" and i had the mortgage sorted. I have the usual letters sent to me every year which i just ignore. I am aware of the use and abuse the register is put to....I will never be on it. If people want to abstain from being on there then just do it, I will never vote which im not bothered about. Its never affected my credit applications one bit!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure