MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you give up a £50 train seat for a pregnant woman?

Comments

• robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 May 2009 at 7:06AM
    Linclass wrote: »
    When I was heavily pregnant [I had gone past my due date] I had to have checkups every other day as I was suffering from Odema and raised blood pressure. Normally the mid wives came to me, however this particular check ups was my weekly one at the Dr's. By now I was too big to drive, my feet were so swollen I could only wear flip flops and hubby was at work.

Luckily we have a bus route right outside the door that stops near my Dr's surgery, unluckily not one of the selfish passengers got up to give me their seat it was only a short journey [5-7 mins] BUT by the time I got to the Dr's I had a seriously high blood pressure and ended up in hospital for complete bed rest.

I was taught by my parents it is common courtesy to give up your seat for the elderly, disabled, pregnant woman and woman with small children. I am afraid we live in an arrogant selfish society who put 'me' first these days and manners and common courtesy is on the wane.

Happily my 9lb baby was delivered a few days later
    if it was on a bus i would definatly give up my seat if i was physically able to althought i fit into the category of disabled .. i also give it up for the eldelry but there is a space at the front for women with young children

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • RolyRoly
    RolyRoly Posts: 10 Forumite
    If I was a woman, I think I'd choose to have a child with a man who can afford to make sure I didn't have to haul my heavily pregnant person about on public transport.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Of course I would! I am shocked that there are people who admit that they wouldn't.

Same goes for elderly people etc.

I'd be with my OH though probably and he would give up his seat before me. But if we had to, we would both stand up for someone less able.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    NOPE. I would close my eyes and pretend i'm asleep!!!

OH COME ON, pregnancy is not an illness!!!! :-)

(what kind of selfish woman am I turning into) !!!!
  • robpw2
    no this is a train where you have paid £50 not a bus where you have paid 5 quid

if i am travelling 50 miles on a train then i book a seat .. besides i have to be able phyically not be stood up all that time

she should get a free upgrade to first class .. they have plenty of seats spare

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
  • robpw2
    tallgirld wrote: »
    NOPE. I would close my eyes and pretend i'm asleep!!!

OH COME ON, pregnancy is not an illness!!!! :-)

(what kind of selfish woman am I turning into) !!!!

this is the funniest post ever

• I've been in this situation before (although not a 5hr journey thankfully!)

Travelling portsmouth to London at rush hour last year with my mum, we got to our booked seats and sat down. (This was 1 week after I had had double knee surgery and was still on crutches and unable to bend my legs)

At the next stop a heavily pregnant woman got on and was standing in the aisle. All these "gentlemen" from the city in their fancy suits all took one look and hid behind their broadsheet papers.

After a minute or two when it was obvious no one was going to offer her a seat, I struggled to my feet and offered her mine.

She gratefully accepted making some comment about "gentlemen bankers":)

And yes - she made sure I got my seat back when she got up.

Just for the record - I'm a 30yo man who was brought up with manners and a sense of common decency!!
  • robpw2
    how can you sit on a train with the narrow leg room between seats if you cannot bend your legs .. im confused

dont you have to bend your legs at your knees to sit ....

• I would give up my seat, it is the right thing to do. It is easy to say she should have booked the seat in advance, but sometimes there are so many things on your mind you just forget.
  • spudz_2
    spudz_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Probably would but I think if the woman is heavily pregnant she would have had the good sense to pre-book a seat so that she didn't have to stand up.:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure