Girls weekend away in a Cottage - 1 pulls out

Options
2»

Comments

• greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Pay up in full , If someone goes instead maybe that person could give you some back . up to them
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    you need to pay the extra £40 , its not the rest of the groups fault that you are not going.

who makes written agreemnets when groups of friends organise holidays together..it should be about trust

edit just realised the post is a month old and that was OPs first post in 4 years so likely to fall on deaf ears
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You will need to pay the remaining £40, unless you or they are able to find someone wo is able to take your place.

The costs will be the same whether tyou are there or not, as with holiday lets you are paying for the property, not the number of people.

Onviously if the £230 includes money for a 'kitty' for food or drink then it would be reasonable to take out that elelment of what you paid.

Pewsuambly if you had not been able to go from the outset, they would have found a smaller, less expensive property to rent.

depnding on when the trip is, you might be able to make enquiries as to whether it is possible to move the booking to adifferent date so you can all go, you can also ask the person who bnooked the trip whether it is too late for them to see if they can find somewhere a little smaller and refund you your share of a nay savings.

Last time I booked a holiday cottage, it could be cancelled until about a week before hand, but of course a lot of places will have non-refundable deposits or fees, or simply not be refundable at all except during the cooling off period, so don't get your hopes up!

It is reasonable to **ask** if there is any scope for cancelling and getting a refund, and them rebooking a smaller place, particuarlly if the holiday isn't for another few weeks, but bear in mind that there may not be much, if any difference in price, depending on the sie of the proprty / number of bedrooms needed. And there may not be anywhere suitable available, so while it is not unreasonable to ask if they can check whether there is any option to switch, be prepared to hear that it is not an option.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anybody else get the feeling the OP didn't get the answer they were hoping for?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

Where do I stand with the £190 I have paid please?

Many thanks

You owe them £40. You have no right to a refund but you can sell your place if the rest of the group approve your choice. They don't have to take someone they don't know or get on with.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Anybody else get the feeling the OP didn't get the answer they were hoping for?

The usual post and disappear poster.
  • AMO2020
    Options
    Hello all

I have a situation. A friend has organised a girlie weekend away in a house. We all agreed to pay £230 each. No mention in the email regarding cancellations. I need to cancel attending. I have paid £190 to date. We haven't seen or signed any paperwork, only agreed via email the dates and the cost.

Where do I stand with the £190 I have paid please?

Many thanks
    I think the key bit is this:
    "agreed via email the dates and the cost"
    But as with everything in life, put yourself in the shoes of the organiser - if you booked the Cottage and committed to pay, would you be happy with all the others pulling out and leaving you to pay for everything and possibly go with fewer people or on your own?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure