MSE Poll: How many car insurance price comparison sites do you use?

Poll started 6 November 2018
In the last week, the Competition and Markets Authority accused Compare The Market of breaking the law by stopping insurers advertising the cheapest prices.

Our cheap car insurance guide has always suggested you combine comparison sites, both as they list different firms and as they can even charge differently for the same ones. But do you do it?

Please select the CLOSEST option to what you usually do.
Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• I used to use comparison sites but now look on cashback sites and get quotes from the top few recommended by Which?
    Incidentally I do the same for home insurance and was just surprised to get £105 tracked against a Saga policy costing £145 for buildings and contents. Thought it might be too good to be true but it has tracked!
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    tend to just use one comparison site each time for all my insurances (car, house, contents) the only time I auto-renew is if it is still a competitive price after I have done a comparison.

I HATE filling out forms.
  • My answer would have been that my broker does the comparison for me. Same for my household insurance. You'll find out the difference from online sites if you ever have to make a claim. And I'm helping to keep local people in work.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 November 2018 at 3:31PM
    I use all the comparison sites mentioned in the car insurance section of the main MSE site. I do take cashback into account but I weigh up the amount of cashback vs how much extra it would cost if the cashback doesn't track.
  • I use all the comparison sites. Ironically I auto-renew with Direct Line as it is over £120 cheaper than the best of the rest and has been for the last few years. Winston Wolf will sort you out!
  • I use all the comparison sites. Ironically I auto-renew with Direct Line as it is over £120 cheaper than the best of the rest and has been for the last few years.

That's surprising, in my 20 years of car ownership I have only once stayed with the same insurer on renewal, every other year I got a better deal by switching.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure