Budget - tougher for DLA claimants

Comments

• devildog
    devildog Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    Hopefully it will be a good thing. I know people that claim that really do need this help and then there are those that do play the system. Unfortunately because they play the sytem so well they are still gonna get it cause they know all the tricks!!! There used to be a person living locally who went by shall we say a few names, claimed for back trouble yet was more than able to build an extrension!! Three weeks prior to any medicals, he stopped the booze, took up the crutches and got his claim renewed!!
    Yes he was reported but do not know of outcome (he moved?)
    Those with genuine disabilities should have no fear but unfortunately I guess they will suffer because they do not know the system like some of the fit people who claim and work it, do. Sad state of affairs!!!
  • Vicky123
    Vicky123 Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If they can find the money and do all the organizing this will take why could they not do it for means testing Child Benefit? Surely checking people's income is a whole lot easier than organizing medicals for everyone in the UK who gets DLA.
    It's typical Tory even though I expected this budget to be a whole load worse.
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Having to take a medical examination to prove that one is unfit for work and needs more funds (DLA) to cope seems reasonable to me.

If it's proved that ATOS is playing the system to pass the statistic targets they should be diismissed and another fairer company put in its place.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lilac_lady wrote: »
    Having to take a medical examination to prove that one is unfit for work and needs more funds (DLA) to cope seems reasonable to me.

If it's proved that ATOS is playing the system to pass the statistic targets they should be diismissed and another fairer company put in its place.

DLA has nothing to do with working. You can work and claim DLA at the same time.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Happy_Girl_2
    Happy_Girl_2 Posts: 506 Forumite
    ladyabosso wrote: »
    I have rheumatoid arthritis, one of the diseases that are currently listed as not being work assessed as it will always be with me. What happens to people like us then, especially as my incapacity benefit will no longer be payable as I will 62/63 in 2013 and I will just get my state pension?
    Any advice gratefully received.

What does that bit in bold mean? Is it that if you have RA you are assessed as not being fit for work under ESA rules?

I have RA, night blindness, deafness and Aspergers and work 25 hours every week. I get HRC and HRM, and use the care payments to buy aids to help me be independent indoors, and the mobility to pay for taxis to and from work, a distance that most people would walk easily

Every day I work, I have to set my alarm for 5am in order to get mobile enough to leave home for work. Then I go to work, swallow copious painkillers, spend the day sitting at my desk cos walking around hurts me and so does standing for more than a minute, and then spend the rest of the day recovering from the fatigue and stress that going to work that day and getting up so early has caused me. I do this because I feel better in my self worth having made the effort, and I enjoy having money to spend as I wish

But if I was to stop the struggle, would the ESA rules allow me to stay off work permanently?
  • burkey365
    burkey365 Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 June 2010 at 6:11PM
    why all the worry, DLA is for a disability not because you cant work so if its a genuine disability then the medical will show this, also a lot of people on this forum are saying they know someone with depression and they cant get out of bed sometimes, surely the payment of cash they receive does not suddenly make them want to get up and feel ok again otherwise a job paying cash would have the same effect..i fail to see how depression is actually a disability an illness maybe but not a disability and Happy Girl, i thought HRC was given because you need constant care day and night, doesnt sound like you need that to me if your at work 25hrs
  • Indie_Kid
    burkey365 wrote: »
    i fail to see how depression is actually a disability an illness maybe but not a disability

I've just spat my tea everywhere, thank you! So, there's nothing wrong with wanting to sleep all the time, running away, wanting to harm yourself, etc?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • burkey365
    burkey365 Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    thats an illness and so you will receive benefits for it, its not a disability, you stated you can run and also make tea...theres jobs for that
  • jennie-jack
    jennie-jack Posts: 215 Forumite
    im wondering if those of us that have had a medical will be able to keep our claim or wether it will need to be checked with another medical.

also does this include children, im not sure my son would be happy with a medical but im sure would flash his feeding tube if made to.
  • Indie_Kid
    burkey365 wrote: »
    thats an illness and so you will receive benefits for it, its not a disability, you stated you can run and also make tea...theres jobs for that

What's working got to do with anything?

Depression is a disability as defined under the DDA.
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family