Budget - tougher for DLA claimants

Comments

• pinkykat
    pinkykat Posts: 71 Forumite
    This is a can of worms that they have opened. I am on DLA middle rate and Mobility lower rate for life because I am registered blind not been to the doctors in years because there is no help that he can give. Wonder if I will have to be assessed and if there will be a cure? wow that would be great to have someone say that I can see again.
  • JFKS
    JFKS Posts: 46 Forumite
    I think this is a great way forward, it will sort out those who are playing the system.

It has taken me 3 years to get my DLA and I am due for renewal in 2 years time,

I look forward to a medical, because along with Doctors and hospital reports there can be no doubt about my illness.

It will be interesting to see how many people do not bother to renew claims when the system is put into place.
  • karatedragon
    karatedragon Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    JFKS wrote: »
    I think this is a great way forward, it will sort out those who are playing the system.

It has taken me 3 years to get my DLA and I am due for renewal in 2 years time,

I look forward to a medical, because along with Doctors and hospital reports there can be no doubt about my illness.

It will be interesting to see how many people do not bother to renew claims when the system is put into place.

It is very hard to "play the system" to get DLA. I know someone who had to go to a tribunal for it.

Was disgraceful.
  • JFKS
    JFKS Posts: 46 Forumite
    It is very hard to "play the system" to get DLA. I know someone who had to go to a tribunal for it.

Was disgraceful.

I had to go to tribunal for mine, I even had one Doctor say well you dont look ill,

Its not that hard to play the system, I know of a few who do,
  • ladyabosso
    ladyabosso Posts: 15
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have rheumatoid arthritis, one of the diseases that are currently listed as not being work assessed as it will always be with me. What happens to people like us then, especially as my incapacity benefit will no longer be payable as I will 62/63 in 2013 and I will just get my state pension?
    Any advice gratefully received.
  • karatedragon
    karatedragon Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    How much will it cost to provide a Medical Assessment to all current and new claimants?
  • And how much money does this make the overseas company that owns ATOS?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    There is a great deal of scaremongering on this thread.

Those who are unfit for work will not be made to work. There have been no changes made to ESA or IB today.

No one has any evidence that DLA will be any more difficult to claim than it is now.

People would worry a lot less if they actually checked their facts, rather than just making wild assumptions.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • snoopy89
    snoopy89 Posts: 320 Forumite
    good, at last someone who knows everything, wundered how long it would take. pleas tell use all about the facts. when u have finished look at the things people are going through and then tell my m8 who works for the cad, as he said the info they got yesterday will make a lot of genuine people panick and worry and some will lose out. so please tell us all.:eek:
  • longhotbath
    longhotbath Posts: 708 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2010 at 4:01PM
    isualive wrote: »
    1. 1304: A medical assessment will be applied to new disabilities living allowance claimants from 2013, says Mr Osborne. Taken from the BBC Website

The bbc website is wrong - it is new AND existing claimants

For us, it will make the process easier - I always found filling in the forms horrendous.

hopefully my neighbour will lose it - she played the system for her child so she could have a part-time job
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure