Outfox the Market reviews: add your feedback

Options

Comments

• andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 13 August 2018 at 8:00PM
    Options
    Anyone with outfoxthemarket please check your bills closely after the price change on 8th August.

They tried to overcharge me by £3.08..not much but soon adds up when done on a large scale.

When i looked at my 11th August bill my usage was calculated at 593.4 kWh of electricity for the last 31 days. I had actually provided the meter reading on the 11th but they still came up with estimated bill as they have done every month that i have provided readings either on or close to the bill date. They then charged me for 278.5 units of electricity at the new higher price for just a few days!
    Clearly a mistake and i accept that mistakes can be made but what i was not prepared for was the half hour argument to get them to correct it with them claiming the bill was correct. Much of their argument was that i hadn't provided a meter reading on the day of the price increase yet they had managed to correctly calculate the charges for gas. In the end i just provided a meter reading for the 8th August by calculating it myself so that i would be charged correctly as they are clearly unable to work it out for themselves! They accepted that reading, generated a new bill on the spot and i was charged correctly eventually.

The price may well still be fairly cheap but for me it's not worth it and i shall be moving away after just 4 months as i can already get a better deal elsewhere by going to seperate suppliers.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    andrew-b wrote: »
    Anyone with outfoxthemarket please check your bills closely after the price change on 8th August.

They tried to overcharge me by £3.08..not much but soon adds up when done on a large scale.

When i looked at my 11th August bill my usage was calculated at 593.4 kWh of electricity for the last 31 days. I had actually provided the meter reading on the 11th but they still came up with estimated bill as they have done every month that i have provided readings either on or close to the bill date. They then charged me for 278.5 units of electricity at the new higher price for just a few days!
    Clearly a mistake and i accept that mistakes can be made but what i was not prepared for was the half hour argument to get them to correct it with them claiming the bill was correct. Much of their argument was that i hadn't provided a meter reading on the day of the price increase yet they had managed to correctly calculate the charges for gas. In the end i just provided a meter reading for the 8th August by calculating it myself so that i would be charged correctly as they are clearly unable to work it out for themselves! They accepted that reading, generated a new bill on the spot and i was charged correctly eventually.

The price may well still be fairly cheap but for me it's not worth it and i shall be moving away after just 4 months as i can already get a better deal elsewhere by going to seperate suppliers.

Separate suppliers would be a real headache surely ?
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    Separate suppliers would be a real headache surely ?

What makes you think that? There is no difficulty with having separate suppliers for gas and electricity. The only difference is in providing readings to two companies rather than one. I do this and it takes me all of two minutes to complete and those two minutes save me well over £100 per year compared to the cheapest dual fuel deal.
  • hubb
    edited 14 August 2018 at 12:32PM
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    What makes you think that? There is no difficulty with having separate suppliers for gas and electricity. The only difference is in providing readings to two companies rather than one. I do this and it takes me all of two minutes to complete and those two minutes save me well over £100 per year compared to the cheapest dual fuel deal.

I can see separate suppliers at fixed work out slightly more expensive for duel fuel fixed so it seems to be untrue that you can get a cheaper fixed price this way. Just make sure you go with two companies that have great reviews if separate.

OFTM are no longer showing in my searches anyway now.
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 14 August 2018 at 1:10PM
    Options
    All depends on usage and area as to whether you save or not. In the end I've decided to move to SSE with dual fuel as I gain back £140 warm home discount and also get £46 topcashback which saves me over £70 compared to OFTM plus the security of a 12 month price fix If I'd used mse cheapenergy club it worked out I would have saved about £60 with separate suppliers so still a saving but less with dual fuel at SSE - only the topcashback that clinched dual fuel again for me. I used to be an Atlantic (SSE) customer for a long time and found the customer service good but left for cheaper deals. Either way I get a better deal.

Incidentally I noticed in the "corrected" bill that they had also lowered the calorific value for gas from 36.6 to 36.3 for the same bill. The consistency in billing seems poor. The attitude of online chat was what got me though. I've dealt with plenty of billing issues but never before been treated like I was. Unless they change I can't see them lasting for long.
  • hubb
    Options
    All depends on usage and area as to whether you save or not. In the end I've decided to move to SSE with dual fuel as I gain back £140 warm home discount and also get £46 topcashback which saves me over £70 compared to OFTM plus the security of a 12 month price fix If I'd used mse cheapenergy club it worked out I would have saved about £60 with separate suppliers so still a saving but less with dual fuel at SSE - only the topcashback that clinched dual fuel again for me. I used to be an Atlantic (SSE) customer for a long time and found the customer service good but left for cheaper deals. Either way I get a better deal.

Incidentally I noticed in the "corrected" bill that they had also lowered the calorific value for gas from 36.6 to 36.3 for the same bill. The consistency in billing seems poor. The attitude of online chat was what got me though. I've dealt with plenty of billing issues but never before been treated like I was. Unless they change I can't see them lasting for long.

So I take it the Cheap Energy Club isn't the cheapest search for energy prices, or do you go through Top Cashback when you have done the search at the energy club ?

And what is "warm home discount" ?
  • ValiantSon
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    I can see separate suppliers at fixed work out slightly more expensive for duel fuel fixed so it seems to be untrue that you can get a cheaper fixed price this way. Just make sure you go with two companies that have great reviews if separate.

OFTM are no longer showing in my searches anyway now.

Not true. Energy prices are region specific and the overall cost is dependent on personal usage, which is why no one company is best for everyone. For me, all the dual fuel deals are more expensive than using individual suppliers.
  • ValiantSon
    Options

The calorific value is a variable factor and changes from time to time with all suppliers. This is nothing to do with increasing costs, but rather how much energy is produced by the gas supplied.
  • ogwellian
    ogwellian Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Having trouble reducing the membership fee to match our consumption. We're in a new build so they can't possible use two year's history.

They put me on the £10.99, even though in our first six months we only used 600. We're well below the 2,400 threshold. They had me on 3574.

They agreed it as too high and confirmed they'd drop the estimate to 1,347 and put me on £6.99 and backdate the overcharged amounts.

My July statement came in and I was charged £8.99 with no refund for the previous months.

I emailed them again and they replied:-

I do apologise, the latest data flow which we received stated that your Estimated Annual Consumption is 3210.3 and we therefore cannot amend it any lower. This means that the Membership Fee will stay at £8.99.

Where do I go from here!
  • hubb
    Options
    The "calorific value" is something else that I find confusing and complicates things even more.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback