PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 January 2018 at 3:18AM
    Options
    Oh ho MMF! You will be living up the high life as I write, and I hope you are minding you Ps and Qs and cocking your little finger in the approved manner. We don't want you letting us down.
    Crumbs, you have got organising a holiday off to a fine art, haven't you?

I actually learned Greek for a year when I was at school, I think there was some talk of reading Divinity at University for which Greek seemed to be necessary. All I remember is the alphabet, though I get a bit lost around sigma. Just one of the completely useless things one picks up on one's hobble through life.
    I also liked Algebra. It was just like solving puzzles.

I've been extraordinarily busy today. Made great progress with the book I'm editing, I have hopes of finishing it next week.

I'd like more of these days when everything is in sharp focus. I wish I knew what caused it.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Know how you feel monna. I get the occasional day when I'm up with the lark, full of beans and ready to clean the whole house. I tend to overdo it and go mad. Lasts about a couple of hours then back to normal dead slug.
    Up this morning at half four because the cat moaned she was freezing in the bedroom and I had trapped wind in my shoulder blades. So I'm having some medicinal cake with my tea. ;)
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Well i slept quite well last night but could have done without the dream. I had a new born babe though it wasn't mine, I was trying to organise a hotel takeover, there were three companies in the running and one wanted to knock the building down and buy a new one in the centre of town. Along with this I was trying to manage a team of gardeners who were fighting off zombies. Every time I visited the gardeners it involved time travel.
    I've woken up tired and stressed from all the work involved.

Today I'm having Dgd for the morning, she's 3, I need to buy and fit a battery to a neighbours C02 alarm, check on DD1's dog, buy sausages for CHS and get dgd home in time for nursery at 12. This afternoon I have a lesson on social media, Twitter and Instagram I think.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • monnagran
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one Mar. I reminded me of the one time in the early 70s when a doctor prescribed me a mild amphetamine in an effort to lose some weight. She warned me that it may affect my sleep and cause me to go into overdrive and become shaky.
    I slept like a log, was as steady as a rock and no signs of any frenzied activity or shakiness. What I did feel was awake and alert, and for that short glorious time did not have to force myself to move.
    Oh, and I continued to put on weight.

Millie woke me at 5ish this morning. I ordered coffee and toast in bed but she shook her head vigorously and indicated that a handful of doggibix followed by a romp in the garden was the order of the day? She was incensed that I refused the offer of tug-o-war on the muddy patch of ground masquerading as a lawn.

I have an early hair appointment this morning so I'm hoping for a dry walk up to the village so that my head may be rendered fit for public scrutiny.

Hope you survived yesterday FairyP.

Come on MMF, we are waiting for a full report.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Today we will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant, in which case we will eat a cookie. (The Cookie Monster)
  • FurryBeastOz
    Options
    Monna I did Divinity, and therefore Greek for a year. It’s ok for reading street signs and occasionally menus but apart from that it bears no resemblance to modern Greek. Latin is far more useful.

HardupHester That was quite a dream. I hate it when you wake up and feel like you’ve already done a full day. The night before last pigpen from the Flyladies appeared in mine. Very weird.

Monna You are NOT supposed to be eating cookies.:D
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mar The medicinal Cake made me laugh.

Hester your dream sounds like a typical day when you were working or a typical day when you are running around after your family. I have never woken in a morning and not felt like I had already done a days work.

I must have bounced out of bed when I was a child but the only getting up I can remember is not wanting to get up at this time of year, putting out one toe at a time and waking on Christmas morning, slowly creeping to the bottom of the bed and feeling my stocking. I can vividly remember the excitement of finding my Dolls House at the bottom of the bed.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Time difference and internet connection problems have delayed my report of the soiree!

We had a great time! Us ladies dressed up, all looked lovely and we all wore our cheap dresses :)

There were endless drinks and trays of delicious nibbles ranging from smoked salmon to mini cheesecakes and fruit kebabs.

A delightful primary school choir sang enthusiastically for almost the entire evening and having finished their main presentation they mingled with the guests and were so engaging it was heart-warming. I spoke to a young lady of 10 y.o. called Shatoria and i was thoroughly impressed. I am jolly sure i would not have conducted myself so well at that age in a room full of complete strangers.

The setting was beautiful, chandaliers and deep carpets, mahogany furniture, flowers arrangements and a lovely large balcony to overlook the immaculate lawns and gardens.

There were lots of photographers and some filming went on. We are going to check the local press to see if we made the front page!

The prime minister made a good speech interjected with humour and it was appreciated by all guests and he took time to speak with any guest who wished to chat. We met the finance minister as well.

After the main event our little group went into the city, to what our hosts described as the back streets, and we had a very late supper in the back of a rum shop. The best fried chicken ever and a bottle of rum, some mixers, loads of ice and great fun was had by all. It was an interesting place. Frequented by night workers such as taxi drivers and others. We were let through to the back and then locked in ' to keep the undesirables out'. Other local folk were eating in the back and we all wished each other a happy new year and exchanged tales. It was fabulous.

Surely a night we shall never forget, 2 extremely different experiences but both wonderful.

X
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    MMF--I logged in just to see your account. It sounds lovely.

Monna, I did survive yesterday and was even feeling a bit better...then the motorway was closed and it took us more than triple the normal time to get home. I felt rotten and slept badly after that. Still, I also survived the lecture today with no voice mishaps, although I did spill my flask of tea. Fortunately I had a clean hanky with me. We aren't full timetable this week, otherwise I'd have three more hours of teaching to go.

I cancelled my afternoon meeting and have come home. Still loads to do, but the office is cold and my head is pounding so I can do it at home with a cup of herbal tea and my dressing gown on. I'm trying not to be outraged that I went into work an hour early for a meeting that was not cancelled until 45 minutes until after it was meant to have started.

Right, back to work for me.x
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FPk GGGRRR! re cancelled meeting :mad: i hope you're feeling warmer now and will feel better in the morning. *blows kiss from safe distance* x

MMF That sounds a wonderful evening! Something to remember always :)

HH I hope you have a much more peaceful sleep tonight!

I bought some new bras today. I suddenly felt I couldn't bear bliddy underwiring a minute longer! So I now have some without wiring, and will see how I get on. I needed a cup size smaller, interestingly :)
  • monnagran
    edited 11 January 2018 at 6:37PM
    Options
    Working my way through......

FBO, I did Latin up to "O" level, which in those days was essential for entry to University. I can't say I enjoyed it at the time but you are right, it has been invaluable all through my life.
    Mind your own business about any cookies I might eat. I'm not even going to tell you about the heavily buttered slices of malt loaf that seem to have found their way down my gullet today. And no snitching on the weight loss thread.

nursemaggie, I have never bounced anywhere, let alone out of bed. Good for you.

MMF that sounds like one fabulous evening. You so deserved that after the time you've had. Remember every tiny detail to impress your snobby neighbours, won't you?

I am concerned about burtha and Karcher. If either of you reads this, could you please let us know that you are surviving...Not wanting to put any pressure on you but we care

FairyP, well done. It's not easy performing in public when you feel under the weather, is it? Adrenalin gets you through it. Reaction sets in afterwards. Rest as much as possible.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family