PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 May 2018 at 7:01PM
    Options
    Oh really !!! I personally would do a good job with brown paper and string. Well, perhaps 'good ' job is stretching it a bit, there did seem to be bits of elephant poking through the packaging and I did have difficulty finding somewhere to stick the stamp. Still, with a bit of luck Mar will receive it in reasonable nick.

I love travelling on the little free bus to T*sc*s. It's like a club. Everyone knows everyone and when all the shopping was done we all met up in the C*st* coffee shop.
    Such places are really against my religion but I told myself that it was a sociable occasion and paid my £2 for a cup of coffee with gritted teeth. Anyway, cupboards are now stocked up and only bits of fresh food will have to be purchased for the rest of the month.

Soft stuff, cheese, dark choc and pork scratchings??? I need to hear more about this diet. Immediately, if not before. I took your advice and obtained the turmeric tea and the cocoa chilli one. I don't usually like these odd teas but to my surprise I really enjoyed these two. A bit expensive but fine for a bit of a treat.

Nothing else to report so I'll wait to see what everyone else has been up to today.

ETA. Hester that girl will go far. I was in the nursery class of my school one day when a small boy decided to try a bit of bullying on a cherubic little girl who was painting. The little angel turned round slowly, smiled and sloshed him across the face with a loaded paintbrush, at the same time kicking him smartly in the shins. I have never seen her name in lights but it can only be a matter of time.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds like my DD Hester. Looked (and still does) angelic, baby blue eyes, very blonde hair and quiet until ruffled. She has two big brothers who played rough!
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tough little girls? My niece, aged 5, was being teased by my DH (6 feet tall). She turned to him, hands on hips, and asked, 'You do KNOW I do karate, don't you." We all fell about laughing :rotfl:
    She will go far, she is so confidant, and fairly formidable!

Softstuff, I know the diet and it works! Yep, dark chocolate, or a plate of bacon and egg, or tonight's tea - a chicken breast with the skin on, green beans and cauliflower cheese. Dessert, a tablespoon of whipped cream and some blueberries. Yum. Never feel hungry. My friend* who completely eschews fat just cannot get her head round it, despire me shrinking slowly and steadily for the last 18 months!
    *She eats scones without butter or jam or cream. That's just not natural, is it?
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Evening all,

Forgive my strange squinty appearance, I've just marked stacks and stacks of exams which had to be turned around almost instantly. On the other hand I can make out all sorts of handwriting.

No elephant eating though and I'm not a marmalade person...blue cheese, whiskey and dark chocolate tho....

Actually, I think that is enough of that. The good news is my results came today and none of the serious things were found. The bad news is my cholesterol is a bit high and my iron is a smidge low (but not enough to be causing heart issues). Since dad has had a stroke and my maternal great grandmother also had a stroke I'm motivated to work on this now.

Now, I know enough to know what I need to do but it will be a bit of effort. Particularly the cheese and cream and butter...but well, there we are. Fortunately OH is on board. As he pointed out...we eat mostly the same things but he eats more so he probably could do with a change too. My plan of action is to begin by drawing up a list of 'good' things that I enjoy that I can have when I fancy a treat so this won't feel too much like entering a life of gloom. Next step is finding some tasty looking new recipes to enter into rotation so I won't miss to melted cheese too much...

Thinking of MaryB, Lamewolf, Nargleblast, Bertha, Nursemaggie and several whose stories I remember but whose names have become jumbled into exam scripts:o
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Evening all, back home again and absolutely shattered! yesterday included a trip from the shires to London by bus setting out at 10 in the morning and back again in the evening (loosely evening that is), bus picked us up from the Festival Hall at 10 after the concert and we had 3 x complete road closures on major roads on the way back necessitating diversions and we finally got indoors at 1.45 am. I don't remember what happened after that but I woke up at 6.45 in time to get breakfast for DD who had to work poor lamb!

We have had a sensible OFFER on the house!!! and also another one that is just silly because they want to do some renovations and put in an en suite and have offered us £50,000 under asking price......I think NOT!!! another viewing tomorrow afternoon so not making the decision until after we know the outcome of that. Lady who made the offer is in rented and will be a cash buyer so that's a positive. We have one property that might do but He Who Knows has reservations because it has a small garden but we could get an allotment in the small market town it's in, there are vacancies now. We are cautiously optimistic on this one but time only will tell.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good news FPK! You will easily find some lower fat recipes to make tasty meals, and if your OH is happy to join in with small changes it will make things simple. Remember to share any good recipes!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ooh Mrs LW thats good news! Fingers crossed that you have a choice xx
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Monnagran I have added your dreaded furniture disease to my list of ailments I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Thanks to all who sent good wishes for my OH, he is grouchy at times but it is mainly due to pain from an old back injury. Fortunately he has some appointments booked with an amatsu (?) therapist, his first session before he had his operation really helped, so we have great hopes this chap can do something for him. As far as the breast cancer is concerned, we will find out next Friday the biopsy results and whether he will need chemo or not. We are quietly confident that things will be ok. If not, then it will be what it will be and we will deal with it. I have to massage his arm every morning because he gets a sort of burning tightness in it close to where they hoicked out all his lymph nodes, something he was warned about. They only removed all the nodes because they couldn't see clearly which ones were the designated ones for removal (machine was not picking up a good enough signal, apparently). I suppose I will have to brush up on my limited knowledge of the lymphatic system and lymphoedema.

In the meantime, our son comes home for the weekend tomorrow and OH's son, daughter in law and the two grandhooligans arrive late morning. Tomorrow evening we are having a barbecue party with the neighbours and their two sprogs joining us. Eleven thick steaks, nearly a kilogram of prawns and about ten chicken breasts (chopped and marinated in soy sauce, honey and garlic) are all taking up valuable space in our fridge, along with various salad dishes. Neighbour is bringing cupcakes and banoffee pie to go with the melon and strawberries for dessert. Visiting family will also bring some food, don't know what but it will definitely get eaten over the weekend. I also made a lethal garlic sauce to go with the barbecued meat, recipe to follow......
    One life - your life - live it!
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 May 2018 at 10:01PM
    Options
    Lyn As this is to be your forever home and you both seem so fit I think you may be there a very long time. An allotment and a smaller garden you can manage when you are a lot older may be a good idea. The house could be smaller for the same reason as long as it has all you would like.

FPK as long as you eat oats every day that should help reduce your cholesterol. Generally eating more fruit and veg will help too. You do not need to cut out butter and cream all together in fact cutting fats too much is bad for you. Never buy anything labelled with "low fat" it is bound to be full of lots of sugar and be bad for you.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A visit to OH's brother in Australia 20 years ago led to me picking up this delightful recipe for Lebanese garlic sauce (sis in law is from the Lebanon).

The deadliest garlic sauce - not recommended for dogs or vampires, and nobody will speak to you for days after eating it.

Two large fat bulbs of garlic, cloves separated and peeled. Chop finely, sprinkling with salt to encourage the juice to flow. Mash it up in a bowl, adding oil drop by drop (as if making mayonnaise) then splash by splash. Suddenly remember that, rather than using a potato masher and getting nowhere, you can just get your stick blender out and mush it up in seconds to a lovely, creamy consistency. Add a generous dash of lemon juice, stir in.

Taste- if you dare. Put into a jar with a well fitting lid and store in the fridge. Use as an accompaniment to roasted or grilled meats, use half a teaspoonful in place of a garlic clove in recipes, smear over pizzas, bread etc.
    One life - your life - live it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure