Simplicity Energy reviews: Give your feedback

MSE_Andrew
MSE_Andrew Posts: 173
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
MSE Staff
edited 5 January 2021 at 2:59PM in Energy
This is a feedback thread on energy supplier
Simplicity Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
  • Did your switch go smoothly?
  • Have you had problems since?
  • Is it easy to contact?
The feedback comes as part of the
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• tayuk
    tayuk Posts: 8
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I switched to Simplicity at the beginning of the year, I got fed up with beign constantly in credit with British Gas throughout the year with them making interest off me and millions of others.

I had numerous issues with them trying to lower the monthly amounts to what would cover the bills, it never really happened so binned them.

The best deal at the time was Simplicity, switching was painless and fast.
    Thats where the positives end.

They missed the engineers date for installation of the smart meter, this was annoying as I had changed my plans to ensure I was home that day, but they never showed up.

Numerous calls/emails resulted in lots of broken promises and no actual installs.

I'm now 4-5 months in to using Simplicity and I'm over £300 in credit with them, despite numerous emails and calls to resolve the situation it still has not happened. I could now get to 2020 without paying a penny more this year.

I just sent more emails and messages via email and through their support system, but I think I have more chance of negotiating a deal for Brexit on my own !

I you want a company that responds to issue or queries, this isn't the company for you. the minute the price differences cover the £70 exit fee, I'm off.

Assuming Ofgem don't do something about them sooner.
  • Glandel
    Glandel Posts: 30 Forumite
    I read at the beginning of the year this supplier were to go bust about the end of February.

That was the warning I saw on the Cheap Energy Club.

They had a good deal on offer, but we were put off by the warning. No point switching for just 2 months when we were in the middle of a long term, cheap fix.

Are they still trading? Were MSE lying to us?
    Wouldn't surprise us - it seems there are warnings against almost all suppliers that don't pay MSE to advertise them. :(
  • I switched to Simplicity several months ago but since then their website has been changed and rebooted requiring signing in to a whole new website. In addition, they don't always send monthly reminders to submit meter readings, don't seem to always update the account when I do send the readings and I haven't been able to submit readings for my electricity for two months. In addition, it takes them weeks and weeks to respond to my emails and when they do the problem isn't fixed.

I will definitely be switching as soon as my fixed tariff ends.
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418
    First Post
    Forumite
    I switched to Simplicity several months ago but since then their website has been changed and rebooted requiring signing in to a whole new website. In addition, they don't always send monthly reminders to submit meter readings, don't seem to always update the account when I do send the readings and I haven't been able to submit readings for my electricity for two months. In addition, it takes them weeks and weeks to respond to my emails and when they do the problem isn't fixed.

I will definitely be switching as soon as my fixed tariff ends.

If you are experiencing delays in response to your emails, why not contact them on their TrustPilot page?
    They seem to be very quick to reply there, usually the same business day. ;)
    Great reviews too, with 83% saying they are Great or Excellent, based on over 1200 reviews.
    https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/simplicity.energy
  • Joining simplicity was fairly straight forward. I dont think they are the best at replying to emails however🤦‍♀️. I'm currently waiting for my in credit amount refunded so will trust pilot review them once I get this back. Not a bad company moved due to finding a cheaper deal 
  • I left Simplicity in Sept 2019 and they issued a seriously wrong final gas bill.  Despite my current supplier, AVRO (excellent), sending 3 confirmation notes of my gas meter readings I have received nothing positive from Simplicity.   Avoid!
  • Recently switched (regrettably) to this supplier from another and left after only a few short months. Poor communication from start to finish throughout the energy switch process, failed to contact me when they said they would, gave incorrect information 3 times about my properties smart meter compatibility with their service and regularly didn't call back or respond when they said they would. To top it off after sending in a complaint, they didn't reply in the stated 5 days or sooner, and when I called, their voicemail simply stated 'We're too busy right now, call back later' with no option to hold or leave a message. Regularly waited in excess of 20 mins to get through, staff seem uninterested, unhelpful and generally seem to lack proper training and left feeling generally frustrated. Meter readings submitted through the website never updated, emails not responses to, energy use not regularly review, I could go on! Ended up switching back to my previous supplier who have kept me up to date at every step, whereas Simplicity have again made the process painful and difficult. If you care for Customer service, avoid this company at all costs, there's nothing simple about it!

• booter
    booter Posts: 1,669
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 September 2020 at 9:14AM
    Simplicity started off so well a year ago (for me) - great customer service and great value. Now I'm trying to switch and according to my new (almost) supplier (Avro), they've objected to the switch. No reason provided and I cannot get in touch- no phone lines are being answered nor emails. Yet they're still taking my direct debit 🤨 - as are Avro 🤬 (cos payment is taken in advance)
    Avro say only Simplicity can tell me if the objection has been removed. 
    Frustrating and annoying!

• I switched to simplicity in early 2019, first 3 months, great. Then it all kicked off. First of all, I received an email thanking me for increasing my DD from £86 to £108 monthly. I had done no such thing, they had. Emails were not answered, phone calls ignored. I was now paying £7 a month more than my previous provider. Then I was locked out of my online account, apparently due to an IT upgrade, which appeared to be outside their abilities to correct. Finally my daughter who has Power of Attorney on my behalf & is also legally trained took over. They did listen to her, but by the time they sorted at least the account problem out, I was able to switch without paying a penalty fee. Last week I received £357-48 in over payments at least 6 months after I left them & a lot of pressure on my behalf by my daughter. This works out just under £30 a month over the whole 12 months I was with them. This is at least 30% a month more than their original quote to get my business. Ofgem should get on their case now, this is not the first time this has happened to me. Its no less than dishonesty.   
  • Unethical, money grabbing and lazy. AVOID like the Plague / COVID!)

I switched away from Simplicity in early August 2020, submitted final meter readings etc and thought all was done and dusted. They then sent me an email in late October (2 months later!) saying I owed £200 (never previously mentioned during switch process). I responded querying this and why it wasn’t raised sooner, but received no response. Then on 15th Dec, I received an email from a (questionable) debt collection agency threatening to pursue me for the outstanding amount. The email didn’t even address me by my name, and the attached pdf documents had broken formatting making them partially illegible. Essentially the email was more suspect than one of those dodgy Nigerian Prince phishing emails. The firm behind the email was BoyesTurner which appears to be an illiterate, unscrupulous law firm. 

Not a single piece of correspondance was received from Simplicity, either to answer my query or seeking an amicable resolution. They just passed my details straight over to the BoyesTurner Goon Squad. 

So in short summary, if you are keen to avoid being ripped off or threatened in the future, do not use Simplicity Energy. 

And & @MSE @MartinLewis you should stop promoting these people for your own financial gain! You are undermining your own USP. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback