Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell the retailer my payment didn't go through?

Comments

• SallyB21
    SallyB21 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    funkmaster wrote: »
    Next week, I ran over a child. Should I stop?

Jesus wept.

Agree with you. How blindingly obvious do these alleged dilemmas have to be?
  • Senseicads
    Senseicads Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just had this exact dilemma with Saino's. They delivered our £95 weekly shop, but haven't taken the money out. I called them up, they said we did take the money, despite me knowing they haven't. They basically said they are happy and there's nowt to worry about. I KNOW I haven't paid for the shopping, but no idea what to do about it. I've tried to do the right thing, they have said they've marked our account with the info. I guess we are just going to leave the money there until we have bought a couple of other weekly shops online but who knows. Thing is its a prepaid credit card that we pay with and the money goes out as soon as we spend anything on it. I have tried to do the right thing but not sure what else we can do now. :-/
  • Angri
    Angri Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you don't object to stealing from others - then don't complain if others steal from you.
  • ryou4me
    ryou4me Posts: 60 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My experience as below, somewhat similar

I used Shell Fuel and go in their app which put a pending charge on my card, after few days the charge didn't go through and I initially went back to my local shell and asked them

They said they had no drive offs recorded else police would have been notified and probably come to visit me and to contact shell via the app

I then contacted Shell via their website who passed onto the relevant team

They said they they could see the charge request but apologised to me for not being charged

They then told me they could not charge me again (even though I ended up not being charged), and offered me £15 in fuel vouchers for the grief and time I had spent trying to sort this

So, I ended with with one full tank of fuel - free

And another £15 because I contacted them to sort it and s clear conscience

:-) happy days
  • pennystretcher
    pennystretcher Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 21 August 2019 at 3:59PM
    I would pay up if the seller contacts you. You have the goods. (And the chances are that the charge will be re-applied by Paypal, so keep the account for it funded)

Ages ago, I ordered a sofa bed (cheapo one approx. £200). When it arrived, the colour wasn't the same as in the swatch I had previously ordered, so I contacted the company to say I wanted to return it. They refunded me and arranged to pick the sofa up. Twice they failed to make the date arranged for pick up and they didn't contact me to arrange a third date. In the end I had the sofa (although not the shade of colour I wanted) and my money back. I had no qualms about keeping the money, as I had lost the money in wages taking two days off and they were well aware of what was going on.
  • eao
    eao Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Many years ago I put £20/30 of petrol in my car and paid by credit card, I always check my card bill and the item did not appearing the ensuing months; I did not return to that area, about 60 miles away for a year.
    When I did return I went to the service station and explained, produced the credit card counterfoil [remember them], the lady there received my payment rather grumpily, no thank-you and when I asked her for the appropriate number of coupons to eventually get a glass or something like that, she refused. I was disappointed, not at the refusal of the coupons but at the lack of a thank-you...before anyone replies as to why I should expect a thank-you for doing the right thing, yes you are quite correct.
  • Str4tm4n
    Str4tm4n Posts: 33 Forumite
    As usual, so many morally bankrupt responders on here.
    I don't think the forum could survive without them. This isn't really a dilemma. You haven't paid for the running shoes. The principle so often seems to be that if you can get away with it, then dishonesty is somehow justified. It's pretty depressing.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Do you really have to ask a public forum whether or not you should be an honest person?

You have the shoes and not paid for them - does that sound right to you?

So you tried to pay once and the system went wrong. BUT you still have the shoes and you still have not paid for them!

Get in touch with the vendor and PAY THEM!
  • I work in retail and the number of times in a day people do contactless payments and walk out before checking the payment has gone through is staggering. This is theft and as a company we loose millions of pounds a year this way.
    I accept you followed the correct channels to pay but your payment has not gone through and you are aware of it.
    Knowingly taking an item and not ensuring you have paid is theft. Come on do the decent thing and own up. After all if the company had inadvertently taken a double payment you would expect them to refund you.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you were charged twice, what would you do? There is your answer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure