IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

URGENT HELP - DEBT RECOVERY PLUS (strange circumstances)

Hi guys,
I have a debt recovery plus letter that was sent to an old address. By my own fault when moving house 3 years ago I had not changed my log book (which i understand can have separate issues, but has been changed now).

Now they have the correct details for me, I have tried to argue the ticket as court action has been threatened against me. I do actually think the fine of £145 is not 'commercially justifiable' after reading previous advice, but they will not let me argue it and even receive evidence of the supposed event.

Question is, should I just pay up to avoid further action, as I am slightly worried they would go to the DVLA with regards to my logbook (which has now been changed!), or should I continue as I was?

I did phone today and was pretty aggressively told to seek some good legal advice and they will be in touch. (FYI the originaly charge that i received to my correct address, not the original that i've never seen, was 08/12)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Which parking company?
    told to seek some good legal advice

You've come to the correct place.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You need to read the thread at the top of this forum that tells Newbies to read it first. There is a section on debt collectors in it.

The wrong address issue must crop up 3 or 4 times a day on here.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,582 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 January 2018 at 5:34PM
    Forget the DVLA issue. Nothing to worry about.

You are clearly now at the stage of having to deal with debt collector's letters.
    Post #4 on the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread gives comprehensive guidance on how to deal with debt collector's letters.

You only need to react if you get a Letter Before Claim or court papers.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    This is a scam, do not pay them a penny.

Debt collectors cannot take you to court, they lie Never phone any of these scammers. if it gets to court, judges love paper trails.

At present ignore but if you get a genuine letter before action from a solicitor or the PPC come back to us.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    DRP are debt collectors, they are powerless, they can do you no harm as all they can do is send threatening letters, so you need to follow the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #4 about debt collectors.

Of more interest is which parking company (PPC) is involved here, because if they issue court papers, they will be to your former address. If you don’t get them to defend, you run the real risk of a default judgment against you, with a likely credit-trashing CCJ.
    I am slightly worried they would go to the DVLA with regards to my logbook (which has now been changed!)

They can’t, the PPC can only access your details from the DVLA once, so they will continue to use your former address. To resolve this, and to insure against a possible CCJ, you must notify the PPC of your new address in writing, preferably by email or if posting by first class with free Certificate of Posting from your PO counter - NOT Signed For.

Are you aware that you also have to update the DVLA separately for your driving licence - that carries a £1,000 fine for failure.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You will not get any help from DRP, they are brain dead

DRP are simply meaningless timewasters with zero power
    so ignore them and never contact them again

You are advised just to update your records with
    the PPC concerned and request confirmation
    You don't want court action sent to your old address.

In the meantime ignore the pond bottom feeders
    that call themselves DRP .... TOTAL RUBBISH
  • Thanks for your reply! I've only had correspondence from Debt Recovery Plus. The last letter was issued stating a 'notice of intended court action'. I have read previous threads but cannot find anything to cover my concern that when the issue was charged my car was attached to the wrong address?

I have called them which I understand was a mistake, so unsure what steps to take next, as they will keep sending things to my old correspondence I imagine?

Thanks very much for the help.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    so unsure what steps to take next,
    You inform the PPC of your new address and you instruct them to inform any and all agents involved in this.

You then ignore anything further that comes to you other than a LBA or MCOL (NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #5 explains acronyms).

If you want further advice you need to be answering questions posed by regulars - who are actually trying to help you.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Umkomaas wrote: »
    You inform the PPC of your new address and you instruct them to inform any and all agents involved in this.

You then ignore anything further that comes to you other than a LBA or MCOL (NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #5 explains acronyms).

If you want further advice you need to be answering questions posed by regulars - who are actually trying to help you.

Thanks very much for this. Again, forgive me if i'm missing something blindingly obvious (I have gone throught the NEWBIES thread). But I am not sure how to find out who the PPC is and how to contact them? Would it be easier to call them to make this process faster. As my DRP letter says that action will be taken if no response is made by tomorrow).
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    No, you do not call them
    You do not care ONE JOT about DRP, again, this is covered in newbies threads. They have absolutely NO powers, and cannot do anythnig but write boring, crappy letters.
    Usually every DRP letter states the parking company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure