No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries January 2018

Comments

• VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,819
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Another UU : 50ml Sanctuary in shower moisturiser. Like the idea of this but hate Sanctuary fragrance.

I have a Soap and Glory handcream open and have now cut into the tube so will finish this off as body lotion and have pulled out a 500ml Soap and Glory Clean on Me shower gel to accompany it.

For replacement handcream I will be using LE Rose and Lavender hand cream (full size). I forgot to take it to work yesterday. Last year I worked with someone who I didn't particularly get on with in the end and whilst we worked together I gave her an Elemis hand cream because she liked it and I didn't. Recently I went into her drawers for some stationary and saw she had left the handcream there. So yesterday I took it from the drawer to use. Still don't like it but hey ho x
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Tolteca87 wrote: »
    i reorganised my stash bags by brand this morning. I may never run out of shower gel.

If you do run out of shower gel you can pop round here and take one of mine because I definitely won't run out.:D
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I have some uu

Elemis Pro Collagen Cleansing Balm 20g - this was a GWP, it is OK but I don't like the clove smell I get when I start massaging it onto my skin plus I don't think it melts mascara as well as some balms. WNB but I do have another pot in the stash to use.

Sebamed Liquid Face & Body Wash 200ml - me and DS use this as a face wash in the morning, it is very gentle and good for sensitive skin, the plan is that all 4 of us will use this so we only have one face wash in the bathroom. Have already replaced this with another from the stash.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • I used up a small hand soap this morning, so I've unwrapped the last small hand soap in my stash, feels like progress. The bathroom sink is so small only a small hand soap fits on there, wondering about cutting up the bigger ones in my stash to make them fit.
    I've cut open my Naobay moisturiser so that's nearly gone.
    But when I was looking through my stash cupboard yesterday I found on the floor a big bottle of conditioner which I hadn't added to my list. I think I won't need to buy conditioner until at least June.
  • what's the oldest item you've got stashed ? I think mine is some 8 hour cream which must be about 15 years old. I've just looked up all the different ways of using it though, so I am inspired to finish it this year! I never knew there was so much stuff you could do with it!
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    edited 16 January 2018 at 3:36PM
    what's the oldest item you've got stashed ? I think mine is some 8 hour cream which must be about 15 years old. I've just looked up all the different ways of using it though, so I am inspired to finish it this year! I never knew there was so much stuff you could do with it!

I once kept a pump bottle of hairspray in a corner of the bathroom windowsill, it wasn't very good so it stayed there until the plastic deteriorated with sunlight, which must have been the better part of ten years.

I have a Rimmel Heather Shimmer lipstick that was put into a storage box somehow, and emerged perfectly usable, it has to be around 23 years old.

Currently I have some Avon feminine wash that gets used once a blue moon*, which is probably my oldest thing. It's around six years old I think, maybe a bit older.
    * I do wash in that area, I just use soap or shower gel, usually!

My mother gave my daughter some soap over thirty years ago, and my daughter still has it, as a memory of her Nan.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Tolteca87
    Tolteca87 Posts: 1,394
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've got a soap and bath salts set I was given as a kid from my grandparents and have never used. It's well over 40.
    I did use up an Opium soap last year which was over 1985 and was still good.
  • kadison
    kadison Posts: 3,662
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    I have an update...

I WON over my wish to buy something on QVSell! I'd love some Elemis skin bliss capsules and someone was selling them, then I realised just how much stuff I have to use up first and decided I could wait about a year!!
    I have a Rimmel Heather Shimmer lipstick that was put into a storage box somehow, and emerged perfectly usable, it has to be around 23 years old.

Wow! That was my favourite shade of lipstick in my teens/early 20s! I think they brought it back a while ago for a bit....

I'm good at getting rid of stuff so the only old things I have are my Gran's old stop-bottle of Chanel No.5, it still smells divine though not exactly the same as a new bottle, I also have the Take That perfume from the 90s that smelt like cat pee (and probably still does) so I never wore it but it's a reminder of my teens so I keep it on display for that reason!
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2023
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    what's the oldest item you've got stashed ? I think mine is some 8 hour cream which must be about 15 years old. I've just looked up all the different ways of using it though, so I am inspired to finish it this year! I never knew there was so much stuff you could do with it!

I've still got some stuff to use from 2004 so not far behind you.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,819
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Botanics eye cream
    [STRIKE]Liz Earle Orange Flower body wash 500ml
    Nivea Pore deodorant
    [/STRIKE]Jessica Phenomenon Oil mini
    [STRIKE]L'Occitane Lavender liquid soap
    First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Cleanser
    [/STRIKE]Elemis PCMC 15ml
    [STRIKE]Kind Natured shampoo [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]OPI Nail Polish remover mini bottle [/STRIKE]
    ESSIE Gel Setter top coat

I've just updated this list but think the PCMC will be gone in the next couple of days.

5 by Spring:-

[STRIKE]Benefit Dallas blush [/STRIKE]

Eyeshadow from Smashbox Full Exposure palette - S5. It's done. I have a Benefit shadow that is similar. Had a quick look on the Smashbox site this morning and this one is not available as a single. The palette is still available but I would not repurchase it.

This is the third item in my Finish 18 make up products in 2018. I think the next item to go will be my Laura Geller Spackle but not for a couple of weeks.

I have pulled out another eyeshadow roulette style but won't put it in this project. It is MAC Whenever you call from the Mariah Carey quad. Nice gold colour. Has a dip in it. Want to pan it completely.

Rest of the list are still ongoing:-

Sephora by OPI JUST A Little Dangerous
    Laura Geller Balance N Brighten
    L'Occitane Amber and Santal fragrance
    Laura Mercier Grey Pearl Caviar stick

I have repainted my nails using Just a Little Dangerous and topped it up last night with nail polish thinner. I will perservere with it for the month and then get rid whether I manage to finish it or not. Purple is not my colour.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family