REMO-Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Order

Comments

• Don't have any advice, but wish you luck.

Will you get arrears?
    Please do not confuse me with other gratefulsforhelp. x
  • That would be great if I got arrears. I'm still waiting for the forms from the magistrates :(
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You will only get arrears if you have an order already in place and he hasn't been paying what he's been ordered to.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,712
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sorry to jump in on this thread but I have been paying CSA for my child! for last 8 years under CSA1 and have no arrers as paid on time every month.
    Now EX saw her a** with me when I found someone else and got remarried so access stopped.
    Went through solictor asking for contact to continue but just got letter saying child wanted nothing more to do with dad signed by child aged 12

Child now 17 and at college so next year off to uni and all grown up
    Should I carry on paying Csa money direct to my child for the 3/4 years they are at university or respect there wish that I have nothing to do with them ?
    What do you think I should do
  • mico62
    mico62 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Well finally got reply from court with a poorly copied couple of pages from a guide book with sections highlighted.

Because my consent order was made in the county court and not the magistrates I have to provide the following

certified copy of maintenance order x3
    certificate certifying order is enforceable in the UK
    certificate of arrears
    statement re exs whereabouts

God only knows how much this is going to cost, I'm already up to my eyes in debt because he's stopped paying and angry that this information couldn't have been sent to me 2 months ago when I first contacted the court.

Phoned the solicitor who handled my divorce and she's on maternity leave, not that I can get to see anyone until the end of October as I work in a school on a term time contract.
  • I'm in the same boat as you guys. Ex is in the US. Hasn't paid for 10 yrs. I have a few questions...

Does the REMO path cost money? I was under the impression that it was free? I don't have much money, but it's time for him to start paying. I heard about REMO and got hopeful.

Also, is it true that arrears are not paid unless there is a prior arrangement? I don't have any prior arrangement. :(
  • mico62
    its free and quite straightforward if your consent order was made in the magistrates court. Unfortunately mine was made in the county court so a bit more complicated. The best is they need a photo to ID him - (un)luckily son's got him on facebook and he hasn't aged well :rotfl:

I've got 2 appointments in half term to get everything sorted/sworn/certified and sent to the County Court.

If the order had been registered in the magistrates (another £40 wouldn't have made much difference to my £12k divorce bill) he'd probably be getting a knock on his door any day soon.
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mancneedinghelp - you can apply in Magistrates court here for an order, or a variation of an order. If you already have an order which is in arrears, is not yet enforceable within the country where the ex lives, or you need to amend it in some way due to change of circumstances - then you would go for a variation, and have it made enforceable where the other parent resides.
    If you have not got an order in place as yet, then you need to file for an order - this is done in exactly the same way, and will be made to be enforcable where the other parent lives (as long as it's a reciprocating country).
  • Sorry for the simple question, but what's a 'consent order'?? I haven't started this yet, just trying to get some insight before I start.

Also, this may sound 'blonde' but I'm not "sure" if I have an existing order or not. Would this have been done through my Solicitor? Sorry (again), but it's been 10 years since the divorce, and I tried to forget about my ex as much as possible. And I can't find any of my original paperwork (just my decree - which has nothing about child support). It's just that we're really struggling right now, and he needs to pay something. Is there a way for me to find out about an existing order?
  • mico62
    My consent order covers all the financial stuff, like how much I had to pay him to buy him out of a house I bought when I returned to the UK in my name but the court treated it as a matrimonial asset, it also says we wouldn't make a claim on each other's pensions and what he's supposed to pay for the kids and for how long.

Just checked and my order has the same reference no as my decree absolute so if you phone the magistrates they should be able to tell you if there's an order
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback