St. James's Place - can I do better?

Comments

• Wildsound
    Wildsound Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Honestly, I don't know how these SJP cowboys manage to continue to get away with what they are doing in today's world... With investment management at my own core, I actually cry a little inside when I hear someone has fallen for their sales pitch.

I did a fair bit of research into their "funds" about a year ago, and found that out of their entire pool of funds, there was only 1 fund that came close to average/good and was putting in a reasonable stint at outperforming the sector average (I believe it was one of the international equity funds). The rest were utter dog and didn't deserve a look in. So once I factored in this with the jaw dropping "entrance and exit fees", I concluded that I would never even give them a look in.

I have just done a 10 minute stint on trustnet (so not overly reliable time, but if you are wanting to consider using SJP with a lot of money, I would consider you spend a day at the weekend or so figuring out how to use trustnet and then start comparing the SJP funds to their peer group funds) - I was shocked at how eye-wateringly bad their funds are compared to some of their well known peers.

The funds sector of the ones I have gone into all seem to be listed as "unclassfied" and so don't show a comparison graph, but if you find another fund (e.g. Fidelity Emerging Markets), find out the sector (i.e. IA emerging markets) and then compare the performance of the "unclassfied" SJP Global Emerging fund, you can then make your own conclusions.

I would be interested to see if anyone can find a fund that you can honestly say, hand on heart, would actually be a contender to something you would pick in a DIY world?
  • Wildsound wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't know how these SJP cowboys manage to continue to get away with what they are doing in today's world... With investment management at my own core, I actually cry a little inside when I hear someone has fallen for their sales pitch.

I did a fair bit of research into their "funds" about a year ago, and found that out of their entire pool of funds, there was only 1 fund that came close to average/good and was putting in a reasonable stint at outperforming the sector average (I believe it was one of the international equity funds). The rest were utter dog and didn't deserve a look in. So once I factored in this with the jaw dropping "entrance and exit fees", I concluded that I would never even give them a look in.

I have just done a 10 minute stint on trustnet (so not overly reliable time, but if you are wanting to consider using SJP with a lot of money, I would consider you spend a day at the weekend or so figuring out how to use trustnet and then start comparing the SJP funds to their peer group funds) - I was shocked at how eye-wateringly bad their funds are compared to some of their well known peers.

The funds sector of the ones I have gone into all seem to be listed as "unclassfied" and so don't show a comparison graph, but if you find another fund (e.g. Fidelity Emerging Markets), find out the sector (i.e. IA emerging markets) and then compare the performance of the "unclassfied" SJP Global Emerging fund, you can then make your own conclusions.

I would be interested to see if anyone can find a fund that you can honestly say, hand on heart, would actually be a contender to something you would pick in a DIY world?

As previously mentioned, my understanding is that their funds are net of all costs, including advice, platform and administration. You'd also need to be careful which funds you are looking at - I think a lot of them on Trustnet are life funds, don't think the UT and pension equivalents are on there.
  • sabby049
    sabby049 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 18 April 2019 at 3:34PM
    Hi All,
    I have been in talk with few of my other friends who had invested with SJPP since last few years. Their charges are around 2% although I have secured charges offer of around 1.8% due to the nature of funds I am investing in.
    But we must understand that the charges are variable between 1.1% -2.8% depending on the type of funds we invest in. Also my contract period is 5 years and decreasing which means if I want to break the contract in year 1 then 5% penalty and it decreases to 0% on year 6 onwards.
    Also their charges of 1.8% is all inclusive of their initial advice, annual cash flow analysis/advice, annual meeting for any personal queries about your funds etc to be named a few benefits. I believe SJPP has some few issues in past but they are the biggest wealth management firm in UK with some very good advisors(though restricted to SJPP). If as an investor I am getting good returns then I won't bother to switch somewhere else unless I am not happy with one their services.
  • Abspmcn
    Abspmcn Posts: 7 Forumite
    I concur with Sabby049.
    My SJP adviser offered me:
    no up front charges
    Usual exit fee everyone has been complaining about but waived if taking my 25% tax free withdrawal from my pension. The rest of my cash will be in there for at least 6 years.
    1.0% platform fee pa
    Circa 0.5% fund fee depending on what it is invested in
    0.2% commission to my adviser
    Total = 1.7%
    Total fund value circa £3m
  • Abspmcn wrote: »
    I concur with Sabby049.
    no up front charges
    Usual exit fee everyone has been complaining about but waived if taking my 25% tax free withdrawal from my pension. The rest of my cash will be in there for at least 6 years.
    1.0% platform fee pa
    Total = 1.7%
    so that's total* charges of "only" £51,000 per year. a cheaper solution could cost a small fraction of that. many people could live off just the cost savings you could make from going for a cheaper solution :) ... ok, that's not really relevant, because most people don't have £3m of investible assets. but you too can probably think of better uses for an extra (say) £40,000 per year than handing it over to the finance sector.

*not quite total, because there are some other costs, such as transaction costs, not included.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Abspmcn wrote: »
    I concur with Sabby049.
    no up front charges
    1.0% platform fee pa
    Total = 1.7%

SJP don't have a platform. They use old style products. IFA platforms are around 0.2x% nowadays.

SJP are notorious for quoting AMC when they should be using OCF. Very few of their funds are less than 1%. For example, the Cont European fund has an AMC of 1.35% but OCF of 1.78%.

For a fund value of 3m, you could be on an IFA platform with a platform charge of 0.04% (in the budget range or 0.1% (in the quality range). Fund charges around 0.4% OCF (not AMC) and IFA charge around 0.25% (as that value would likely see the tiering lower). So, around 0.75% bottom line compared to 1.7% for SJP. You are paying around £30,000 a year more for your SJP sales rep than a typical IFA.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Abspmcn
    I have a pdf where SJP list the various fund management costs. Most are a lot less than 1%. Only one is higher than 1% and some are Less than .3%. Sorry, as a new member MSE will it allow me to link to it

As for SJP not having a platform, I am simply reporting what my SJP adviser told me. He called it a platform charge but the name does not really matter, it is a 1% charge.

Sure, I could save tens of thousands of pounds a year in costs if I used a cheaper fund manager but, so far as I can tell, the return on most SJP funds (after costs) outperforms the averages for each sector in which they operate.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have SJP launched a (painfully amateurish) new sock puppet advertising campaign?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As for SJP not having a platform, I am simply reporting what my SJP adviser told me. He called it a platform charge but the name does not really matter, it is a 1% charge.

If you don't have a platform but call your product a platform then it is not actually a platform. Much in the same way that if they called their product chocolate, it does not make it chocolate.
    so far as I can tell, the return on most SJP funds (after costs) outperforms the averages for each sector in which they operate.

The SJP brainwashing is working as intended I see.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Abspmcn
    If you don't have a platform but call your product a platform then it is not actually a platform.

I do not want to argue. He called it a platform charge. I do not even know what a platform is and I do not mind what anyone calls it. All I know is that the charge he quoted was1% for this plus 0.2% commission for the adviser plus costs associated with funds purchased (ranging from 0.1 to 1.2%).

I am not arguing in favour of or against SJP. I am merely sharing my personal costs information. I do not know if I am getting fair value or being ripped off, hence why I have been reading this thread.

My SJP adviser does a thorough job at my annual review. He makes plenty of sensible suggestions which may have nothing to do with any investments held at SJP. I am in the fortunate position of having a very large pension, well funded ISAs and unit trust funds, owning a small property portfolio and owning 2 very successful and profitable businesses. Lucky me, but this is not my point. My personal financial situation is consequently quite complicated and there is a lot of money at stake so I do value the well rounded suggestions made by SJP. Is it worth 1.2% over and above what it would cost me to self invest? I do not know is the honest answer but I do get advise unrelated to my SJP investments.

The data SJP presented to me suggests that nearly all of their funds (and all of the ones I am invested in) outperformed an index of comparable funds over 10, 5, 3 and 1 year. I need to get a better understanding of these comparables because on this forum most people seem to be suggesting SJP funds underperform. The performance data presented by SJP is always after costs, which always needs to be born in mind.

Like everyone else, I hate the idea of being ripped off. I do not want to DIY because I am too busy so what more cost effective solutions are there for a fully managed service? I have £3m invested in pensions and £1m is ISAs and funds.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback