Self employment for a single company

Hi,

I am pursuing a job opportunity as a field application engineer (FAE) where I would have to register as self-employed. The company is Chinese and their HQ is there. As far as I can tell, this can be quite common for FAE jobs. This arrangement clearly lacks the usual perks of permanent employment and therefore commands higher remuneration to compensate. Salary would be open to negotiation but that depends on knowing what's just beyond a reasonable higher limit. Previously, I have always been a permanent employee so this is a new scenario for me. Any tips and advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Check if you are likely to meet HMRC's definition of self-employed: https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/selfemployed-contractor. If you don't, you aren't!

The work round is to set up a limited company and provide your services through that. Nothing like as daunting as it sounds - see https://www.gov.uk/browse/business
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You should be aiming for a minimum rate of 50% above salary levels of a permanent employee, and I'd start closer to 100% higher and allow some negotiation downwards. Remember that you need to pay all holiday and sick leave yourself.
  • My opening gambit was 100% of what I would have asked for as a permanent. I haven't heard back...yet. It's the art of negotiation I suppose.

Thank you for the replies.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    My opening gambit was 100% of what I would have asked for as a permanent. I haven't heard back...yet. It's the art of negotiation I suppose.

Thank you for the replies.

Do you mean 100% above what you would have asked for as a permie (i.e. double the permanent salary)? If not then you'll end up a lot worse off then if you were just paid the salary through PAYE.
  • I had a figure in mind as a permanent worker and doubled it.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    I had a figure in mind as a permanent worker and doubled it.

That’s 200% of what you’d normally take then :)
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Bear in mind that actually getting money out of a Chinese domiciled debtor may be rather difficult, in the event they don't pay you. Ensure you know the legal name of the Chinese company and not any somewhat whimsical translation used in English-language sales literature.

Check also the requirements for public liability and indemnity insurance as you'll probably be liable to clients, not the Chinese company.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure