Is using Paypal on Gumtree safe? And would I be protected in what I buy is dodgy?

Hi all

I am looking to buy Windows 7 Retail and have found a good price on Gumtree, but it would need to be posted. I have bought and sold on Gumtree before where postage has been involved, and not had a problem to date. But I know there are risks and Gumtree recommend face to face sales.

What I was hoping to find out is whether I would be protected through Paypal in the following scenarios:

1. If the parcel doesn't show up?

2. If it does show up and turns out to be dodgy? There's always a chance it could be fake, although from what I've seen in the photos and been told, it really does look legit.

3. If the license is already in use on another computer? The license can only be in use on one computer at a time. So in the event that it is still in use on another, it won't install for me.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,033
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    You have exactly the same protection with PayPal on Gumtree as you do on any site, as long as you pay for named goods.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • That's great.

The thing that worries me most is the potential of #3... Do you think Paypal would step in and refund me in the event of the software already being in use on another computer and thus not being available for my use?

Or would I need to check that with PP direct?

Thanks for the help :)
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have rewritten my post as I read this on a phone.

Paypal will deal with a 'not as described' item and look at the evidence given.

Paypal did used to help with return costs (returns on us) but that did end on 31 Dec although Google may find an extension/continuation of the reimbursement..
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Are you buying a genuine retail windows 10 or just a serial number?

If the serial gets blocked next year then paypal wont protect you.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Many thanks for the replies...

It is Windows 7 (not 10), and it is - as far as I can see - a genuine full retail boxed version.

Ta
  • theonlywayisup
    Forumite
    edited 10 January 2018 at 10:14PM
    Are you buying a genuine retail windows 10 or just a serial number?

If the serial gets blocked next year then paypal wont protect you.

Paypal cover intangible items such as rights of access to digital content and other licences for buyers.
  • Seagull27 wrote: »
    Many thanks for the replies...

It is Windows 7 (not 10), and it is - as far as I can see - a genuine full retail boxed version.

Ta

As long as you paid for goods/services then you will be covered. If the payment was a friends/family payment you won't.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,985
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just to add, it is best if the seller sends you a paypal invoice which lists what you are buying and you pay that invoice. As others have said do not gift the money to them as you have no protection when doing this to buy an item.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Paypal cover intangible items such as rights of access to digital content and other licences for buyers.

Its not a warranty though, as in the case of MS banning a serial in 10, 12 or even 24 months time.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• theonlywayisup
    Forumite
    Its not a warranty though, as in the case of MS banning a serial in 10, 12 or even 24 months time.

I didn't say it was a warranty and in fact I'm very vocal in stressing that eBay and Paypal don't offer warranties.

The post was to explain that intangible items are covered by Paypal - which is what I said.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure