Is a Verbal Apology Enough

2»

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Not even that - they're only acting illegally if they actually commit fraud (or, say, steal the contents). It's not illegal merely to open mail after the postie has put it through the correct letterbox.

That is what 'to the detriment of' covers.....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    In which case you were not compensated, but rather were given a goodwill payment. You cannot be compensated if you have suffered no loss.

And your point is :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    -taff wrote: »
    That is what 'to the detriment of' covers.....
    No, it's referring to a separate offence (where you've opened mail which hasn't been delivered to the correct address and intend to act to the detriment of the addressee). The point is that it's the address which is relevant rather than the name.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    ytfcmad wrote: »

My point is that this is not compensation and is entirely at the discretion of the company concerned. (I would have thought that was fairly obvious from what I wrote).
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    A bit of information from a duplicate thread running is that this is not the first complaint that the OP has made to the bank about data protection breaches and had previously received a goodwill offer.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    For the mistake and the fact they've issued an apology surely it would have made sense to pay a small amount to close this off.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    davidmcn wrote: »
    No, it's referring to a separate offence (where you've opened mail which hasn't been delivered to the correct address and intend to act to the detriment of the addressee). The point is that it's the address which is relevant rather than the name.

Nope.

128. Subsection (3) makes it an offence for a person, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, to open a postal packet which he knows or suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

Doesn't mention has not been delivered to the correct address....
    Anyway, it's all by the by since I can't remember the last time the mail prosecuted anyone for opening anything that wasn't addressed to them or had their name on with the wrong address.
    If it was a bit clearer, we wouldn't be sinking in a world of supposition.
    Three cheers for deliberately obfuscated language.....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    A bit of information from a duplicate thread running is that this is not the first complaint that the OP has made to the bank about data protection breaches and had previously received a goodwill offer.

Thanks, dunstonh. It's sad that some people try to exploit these issues. If someone has genuinely suffered as a result of a company's incompetence, including significant time spent trying to sort the problem out, then I support the view that they should try to make amends. I do not, however, support the vexatious and opportunistic attempts made by some people (some of whom brag about it on here) to extract money from companies as if it is some sort of great game or alternative way of funding their lifestyle.
  • -taff wrote: »
    No they didn't. They would only have acted illegally if they were going to use the contents to the detriment of the adressee.

Sorry, true, you have me on a technicality :beer:
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    ytfcmad wrote: »

The point is that’s how the bank you have handle it, one bank giving a gogw doesn’t even slightly affect how much a completely different business does or would give in the same situation.

If carphone warehouse failed to repair a phone and gave you 50 quid as a gesture of good will it doesn’t mean 3 network will or should do the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure