Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whambam
    • By whambam 11th Feb 19, 11:53 AM
    • 349Posts
    • 36Thanks
    whambam
    Pip Assessment At Home
    • 11th Feb 19, 11:53 AM
    Pip Assessment At Home 11th Feb 19 at 11:53 AM
    Hi,

My mother has got one this week any advice? Anyone had one recently? They phoned to say who will be coming out and time will anyone be home. They said they were Independent assessment services not ATOS or Capita?
Page 1
    • LocoLoco
    • By LocoLoco 11th Feb 19, 12:00 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    LocoLoco
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:00 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:00 PM
    Hi WhamBam, we had one for my son last year for his PIP application. Stories vary, obviously, but our lady was lovely. She was very good with my son, she knew her stuff (she'd read his reports and understood them! That had never happened before ) and I haven't seen a copy of the report she submitted but my son got the rates I thought he should have done so she must have written up pretty much what she saw and heard.

She was very nice and friendly and the whole process was fine. Obviously not everyone has a good experience but ours was great - fingers crossed things will go well for your mum, too
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Feb 19, 12:02 PM
    • 6,007 Posts
    • 6,744 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:02 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:02 PM
    Exactly the same advice as if she was going to the assessment centre - be accurate and honest about her situation. Do not make the mistake of 'trying hard' to do the most she can do, do what is the norm. You might want to try to be there with her, if simply for moral support. The assessor will expect your mother to answer any questions, not you so please be aware of that if you are there. The exception to that would be your mother has an impairment which makes understanding and speaking difficult.
    • wellynever
    • By wellynever 11th Feb 19, 12:12 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    wellynever
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:12 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:12 PM
    Hi,

My mother has got one this week any advice? Anyone had one recently? They phoned to say who will be coming out and time will anyone be home. They said they were Independent assessment services not ATOS or Capita?
    Originally posted by whambam
    Independent assessment services = ATOS,

they changed their name.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Feb 19, 12:13 PM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 1,076 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:13 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:13 PM
    General advice here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Documents/Advice%20(public)/pip-helpsheet-assessment.pdf
    • whambam
    • By whambam 11th Feb 19, 12:14 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    whambam
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:14 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:14 PM
    Hi WhamBam, we had one for my son last year for his PIP application. Stories vary, obviously, but our lady was lovely. She was very good with my son, she knew her stuff (she'd read his reports and understood them! That had never happened before ) and I haven't seen a copy of the report she submitted but my son got the rates I thought he should have done so she must have written up pretty much what she saw and heard.

She was very nice and friendly and the whole process was fine. Obviously not everyone has a good experience but ours was great - fingers crossed things will go well for your mum, too
    Originally posted by LocoLoco
    Was it Capita or Atos or independent assessment services? Thats good news do you feel it was you that was ready knowing what to say or more of the assessors helping you make the whole process easy I had a positive experience with an assessor's years ago.

Exactly the same advice as if she was going to the assessment centre - be accurate and honest about her situation. Do not make the mistake of 'trying hard' to do the most she can do, do what is the norm. You might want to try to be there with her, if simply for moral support. The assessor will expect your mother to answer any questions, not you so please be aware of that if you are there. The exception to that would be your mother has an impairment which makes understanding and speaking difficult.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    She doesn't speak english will they still expect her to answer questions rather than her son?
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 11th Feb 19, 12:33 PM
    • 12,201 Posts
    • 14,045 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:33 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:33 PM
    Was it Capita or Atos or independent assessment services? Thats good news do you feel it was you that was ready knowing what to say or more of the assessors helping you make the whole process easy I had a positive experience with an assessor's years ago.

She doesn't speak english will they still expect her to answer questions rather than her son?
    Unless the son is an appointee then she will be expected to answer questions - difficult if she doesn't speak English.

Did she ask for an interpreter?

https://www.mypipassessment.co.uk/faqs/
    • whambam
    • By whambam 11th Feb 19, 12:40 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    whambam
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:40 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:40 PM
    i done one for my brother years ago without being an appointee and everything went fine it was the assessor who recommended me being an appointee after the assessment i didnt know about it at the time.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 11th Feb 19, 12:48 PM
    • 12,201 Posts
    • 14,045 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:48 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 12:48 PM
    i done one for my brother years ago without being an appointee and everything went fine it was the assessor who recommended me being an appointee after the assessment i didnt know about it at the time.
    Does your brother speak English though?

It is possible that your brother's and your mother's disabilities are severe enough for the assessor to make an informed decision about their needs without their having to answer questions about their daily life and mobility. If the assessor asks someone to give instructions to the claimant - walk to the etc etc then this would, I think, be OK.

What I wouldn't expect is for the assessor to ask questions through another person relating to their daily life and ask them to translate the answers unless, as I said, their disabilities were extremely obvious and backed up by medical evidence.
    • whambam
    • By whambam 11th Feb 19, 12:50 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    whambam
    He is autistic he doesn't talk. I told that to the assessor and she was okay with it. He was upstairs as the assessment took place I described everything. I was not a appointee or have power of attorney I do now.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Feb 19, 2:04 PM
    • 4,454 Posts
    • 4,256 Thanks
    poppy12345
    He is autistic he doesn't talk. I told that to the assessor and she was okay with it. He was upstairs as the assessment took place I described everything. I was not a appointee or have power of attorney I do now.
    That's very unusual for the claimant to be in another room while the assessment takes place. Even when you're an appointee for the claimant they still have to attend the assessment.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 11th Feb 19, 2:17 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 12,321 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    I had a PiP assessment at home...

The assessor may well turn up early- so make sure her son is with her in good time.

As the assessor will probably want to work from a laptop then it helps to make sure there is a suitable plug-socket near their chair so they can plug in.

My mother was with me throughout -and was permitted to answer most questions for me.

Your mother/her son should both be honest with answers - especially when it comes to things like the physical tests...if she can't safely perform a set task then she should explain this...I was lucky here as the assessor noted my difficulties and ended the physical assessment.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 11th Feb 19, 2:19 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 12,321 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    I had a PiP assessment at home...

The assessor may well turn up early- so make sure her son is with her in good time.

As the assessor will probably want to work from a laptop then it helps to make sure there is a suitable plug-socket near their chair so they can plug in.

My mother was with me throughout -and was permitted to answer most questions for me.

Your mother/her son should both be honest with answers - especially when it comes to things like the physical tests...if she can't safely perform a set task then she should explain this...I was lucky here as the assessor noted my difficulties and ended the physical assessment.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Feb 19, 2:32 PM
    • 6,007 Posts
    • 6,744 Thanks
    TELLIT01

That's a rather different situation. What would ideally happen is that the assessor would ask the question, the son translate, the mother give her answer, son translate back. The obvious issue is that the assessor can't be certain that the reply given is that of the mother. There would need to be trust on all sides that the answers provided are those of the mother.
    Whether or not the assessor would simply accept answers direct from the son, without the mother's input, is something I can't answer.
    • whambam
    • By whambam 11th Feb 19, 4:03 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    whambam
    They do I done it before in many situations. They take the interpreters related or not word for it.
    • LocoLoco
    • By LocoLoco 11th Feb 19, 6:28 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    LocoLoco

Hi WhamBam, I don't know which company she was from. I do know how to explain my son's problems well (I've been doing it for the last fifteen years) and I had sent in a very detailed form with a lot of supporting evidence - but it was her making the process easy for us that really helped. She understood what my son wouldn't be able to do before she even got there (he has various problems, including intellectual disability so he can't explain his difficulties to other people) so she had a brief chat with him and then asked him a few basic questions, which he couldn't answer. Then she said she was happy for him to go and play and I answered everything else. She understood where I was coming from with his speech problems, processing difficulties and so on (a lot of people don't so they don't understand the impact of a hypersensitivity to sound, for example). But she understood that and recorded it accurately so he was dismissed as just being a bit lazy or head strong (which has happened before with doctors, social workers and education teams). At the end she asked him to do some physical things like touching his toes, I think and a few other things - he doesn't have physical difficulties as such so that bit was all fine.

Hopefully you'll get a good one but I would contact them before hand about the not speaking English bit; I imagine they'll have a procedure in place?
    • whambam
    • By whambam 11th Feb 19, 6:30 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    whambam
    Do they ask if they have children or get any other benefits? Pip is separate company now from DWP.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Feb 19, 6:53 PM
    • 4,454 Posts
    • 4,256 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Pip is separate company now from DWP.
    Not sure what you mean by this but claim PIP you contact DWP.
    • whambam
    • By whambam 11th Feb 19, 7:13 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    whambam
    I asked an adviser about PIP in the job centre she said it has absolutely nothing to do with dwp its a separate organisation.

However, i don't understand why PIP letters have DWP symbol on it.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Feb 19, 7:14 PM
    • 4,454 Posts
    • 4,256 Thanks
    poppy12345
    PIP is part of DWP. Not sure what the person you spoke to is talking about but they clearly have no idea.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,350Posts Today

9,586Users online

Martin's Twitter