Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beesteph1984
    • By Beesteph1984 11th Feb 19, 8:01 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Beesteph1984
    Advice about benefits when wanting to work sometimes when you have an illness
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:01 AM
    Advice about benefits when wanting to work sometimes when you have an illness 11th Feb 19 at 8:01 AM
    Hi, I was hoping you could advise me please. I am 35, single mother to two children age 8 and 11.
    I have two illnesses that cause me to have a mixture of days sometimes I can be bedbound for a day or a week and otheryimes I can be house bound and otheryimes Iím more well and can do things.
    Due to this Iv not worked for 14 years and this has effected my mental health a great deal.
    I want to desperately do some kind of work but two things prevent me
    - my reliability
    - my finances.

I currently receive
    Higher rate pip
    Support group ess
    Child tax credit
    Child benefit
    Housing benefit
    Council tax benefit

So I no Iím currently receiving esa support group but I do not want to do the work there permitted work. So Iím thinking if I want to work will I need to drop my esa completely? Is there any kind of benefit for people where they can get some financial support but they are allowed to work and earn some money now and again?

I feel so trapped and just want the chance to be able to do some work when Iím having my good days

Then I just need to continue to try and think what I could possibly do now. I loved doing beauty therapy but just donít know how I could do this due to booking in clients due to my reliability

Thanks for your help and time

Many thanks

Bernadette
Page 1
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Feb 19, 8:14 AM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:14 AM
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:14 AM
    So I no I’m currently receiving esa support group but I do not want to do the work there permitted work.
    Originally posted by Beesteph1984
    I don't understand why you say this. Permitted work is any work which is less than 16 hours/week and earns you less than £125.50/week
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/while-youre-getting-esa/working-while-getting-esa/. You should obtain the agreement of DWP before starting it.

Is there any kind of benefit for people where they can get some financial support but they are allowed to work and earn some money now and again?
    That's what the permitted work rules are intended to do.

Otherwise you have to claim Universal Credit which will replace your ESA, housing benefit and tax credits but you would need to do calculations to see how this affects the amount of help you receive https://www.entitledto.co.uk.
    Last edited by calcotti; 11-02-2019 at 8:18 AM.
    • Beesteph1984
    • By Beesteph1984 11th Feb 19, 8:55 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Beesteph1984
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:55 AM
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:55 AM
    Hi thanks for your reply
    I thought when I looked it up that the permitted work you have to do very specific types of work that the dwp say you can do, I tried to include a link to what Iíve read, but itís not allowing me to
    Iím hoping you are correct as that would be fantastic
    Iím in the support group of esa so would this make a difference?
    Many thanks
    • Beesteph1984
    • By Beesteph1984 11th Feb 19, 8:56 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Beesteph1984
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:56 AM
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:56 AM
    Here it is

The general rule is that you canít work while claiming Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) (or the incapacity benefits ESA replaces). However, there are exceptions and some kinds of 'permitted work' that are allowed.

Exceptions

The following kinds of work are allowed:

Work as a councillor
    Work as a member of a First Tier Tribunal (up to one full day or two half days a week)
    The care of a relative or another person living with you
    Work done while pursuing self-employment (in certain cases where assistance is received)
    Voluntary work (not for a relative)
    Unpaid work experience approved by Department for Work and Pensions.
    'Permitted work'

ĎPermitted workí is also allowed. In some cases, this can be any type of work and you can do this for an unlimited period of time but there are limitations on your earnings and hours.

Permitted work includes:

Work as part of a treatment programme under medical supervision while in hospital or attending hospital - as long as you donít earn more than £125.50 a week.
    Any work, for an unlimited period, as long as you donít earn more than £20 a week (the permitted work lower limits).
    Supported work (supervised by someone employed to find work for disabled people), for an unlimited period, provided you do not earn more than £125.50 a week.
    Any work as long as you work for less than 16 hours a week (average) and do not earn more than £125.50 a week, the permitted work higher limit.
    If you were to exceed the restrictions in any week, you would not be entitled to ESA for that week.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Feb 19, 9:11 AM
    • 4,454 Posts
    • 4,253 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 11th Feb 19, 9:11 AM
    • 11th Feb 19, 9:11 AM
    ĎPermitted workí is also allowed. In some cases, this can be any type of work and you can do this for an unlimited period of time but there are limitations on your earnings and hours.
    Take note of this part here. You need to get permission before starting work. If the work you do contradicts the reasons for your claim then it could go against you the next time you're assessed or it could start the re- assessment process earlier.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Feb 19, 10:37 AM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 11th Feb 19, 10:37 AM
    • 11th Feb 19, 10:37 AM
    Beesteph1984, as a matter of interest where is the information you have posted from?

The key paragraph is the last but one which says "Any work as long as you work for less than 16 hours a week (average) and do not earn more than £125.50 a week, the permitted work higher limit."

Rules around permitted work used to be more restrictive but were relaxed a couple of years ago. Even before that it was possible to do any work subject to the 16 hour and earning limit and, if in the support group, you could do this indefinitely.
    • Beesteph1984
    • By Beesteph1984 11th Feb 19, 11:01 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Beesteph1984
    • 11th Feb 19, 11:01 AM
    • 11th Feb 19, 11:01 AM
    Thanks for your messages, itís really helpful. I suppose then itís then just taking the risk and hoping it does not effect my esa.
    And also working what I can do aswell for work

I got the information from the turn to us website
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Feb 19, 11:06 AM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 11th Feb 19, 11:06 AM
    • 11th Feb 19, 11:06 AM
    I got the information from the turn to us website
    Excellent website. I was just curious because, in this case, the way the information is laid out means the bit that applies to most people such as yourself is a bit lost by being placed at the end!

Good luck. Do take note of the need to inform DWP in advance, there is a form PW1 you should use for this https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form
    • Beesteph1984
    • By Beesteph1984 11th Feb 19, 3:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Beesteph1984
    • 11th Feb 19, 3:01 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 3:01 PM
    Thatís fantastic thank you!!
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Feb 19, 3:34 PM
    • 6,006 Posts
    • 6,744 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    "Less than 16 hours average" is very important. If you actually take a job at 16 hours per week you will be over the allowed hours.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,004Posts Today

10,351Users online

Martin's Twitter