Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tododo
    • By tododo 11th Feb 19, 6:46 PM
    • 130Posts
    • 20Thanks
    tododo
    Some sort of DWP investigation
    • 11th Feb 19, 6:46 PM
    Some sort of DWP investigation 11th Feb 19 at 6:46 PM
    Hi all

Posting here for my mother who is executor of my nans estate who died just over a year ago.

My nan was 96 when she died and had roughly 13K in the bank

My mother has had to apply for probate for the above sum and we thought that was done and dusted and she could then distribute those funds to the beneficiaries

Then the DWP said hold up they need to look into stuff more or less

My nan was in a care home for about a year and due to her low savings qualified for benefit for that

DWP have come back today and basically said they wanted to know what my nan had in 2003 and various other dates
    We have no clue what she had or did to be honest.

We have no clue what to say or do other than to say who knows really???

Can anybody advise - its a bit stressing on my mother - should we go and see a solicitor or something or just advise we have no clue??

Thanks all
Page 1
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 11th Feb 19, 7:37 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 3,290 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 11th Feb 19, 7:37 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 7:37 PM
    I wouldn't instruct a solicitor.

I would go back and let the DWP know the current situation. Perhaps sent them copies of the bank account and probate / estate details.

I would then approach the bank, to ask if they can supply previous bank statements. They may be able to go back 6 years. Keep a copy of the letter (and the banks response), so you can give a copy to the DWP if necessary
    I can't see how you can go back to 2003.

If the DWP get difficult - then involve your MP and see if your local CAB can suggest anything.

Are the DWP saying they think there was been an overpayment of benefit?
    What benefits was your grandmother claiming?
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 11-02-2019 at 7:39 PM.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 11th Feb 19, 7:43 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,531 Thanks
    huckster
    • 11th Feb 19, 7:43 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 7:43 PM
    Suggest your Mum writes back as executor asking what information DWP require and what is the purpose for their request. Banks only have live access to the last 6 years of Bank statements, They can normally go back about 11 years if they really need to, but then it is an IT job, printing out account information not in the same format as statements.

Did your Nan ever own any property assets or have significant investments/savings to your knowledge ?

Did your Nan claim any benefits to your knowledge ?

DWP might be asking, to check whether your Nan claimed benefit help, because capital assets/savings had been reduced over the years or that there had not been full disclosure at some point.

The question is why the dates are relevant such as 2003 ? Were there changes around this time ?
    Last edited by huckster; 11-02-2019 at 7:50 PM.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • sportsarb
    • By sportsarb 11th Feb 19, 8:06 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    sportsarb
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:06 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:06 PM
    Can the DWP not get this information themselves using the fraud act?

Can the bank even give access to non named family members after death?
    • tododo
    • By tododo 11th Feb 19, 8:09 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    tododo
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:09 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:09 PM
    Thanks all - no never had any property at all

She lived in the same rented council house all her life

She had Pension Credit and attendance allowance as benefits im told - no property, shares or anything like that

No idea what happened in 2003 so maybe interesting to see what we can get bank from the banks really in terms of statements - just to see from our point of view really

Havent seen the letter yet but my mother says they only want to see whats in the banks and they said something doesnt match up somewhere to their records - guess will have to try and get these statements and see whats up

Thanks all

My mother is the probate - executor type thing - was suprised myself that 13K with the post office was enough to trigger the probate thing as it varies between banks im told
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 11th Feb 19, 8:20 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:20 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:20 PM
    If your mother had more than 10,000 she may have been overpaid Pension Credit which may be what DWP want to review. At 13,000 the overpayment would be 6/week if the DWP were not aware of any savings.
    No doubt the amount she had varied over time so they need to see statements so they can review entitlement on a week by week basis.
    • bigbill
    • By bigbill 11th Feb 19, 8:24 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    bigbill
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:24 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:24 PM
    Pension Credit was introduced from 2003 hence that date?

Given Nans age I would expect she had an Assessed Income Period (AIP) from this date possibly for life, they seem to want to check it was not set in error due to her failing to declare capital / savings at this point.

I could be wrong though?
    • venison
    • By venison 11th Feb 19, 8:25 PM
    • 2,848 Posts
    • 3,496 Thanks
    venison
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:25 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 8:25 PM
    I would ask them why they want to go back 16 years and make it clear you don't have the information.
    Brexit here we c................crash.
    • tododo
    • By tododo 11th Feb 19, 9:20 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    tododo
    • 11th Feb 19, 9:20 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 9:20 PM
    Brill thanks everyone - some good knowledge there - and yeh looks like pension credit came into being in 2003 too
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Feb 19, 9:35 PM
    • 6,007 Posts
    • 6,745 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    My reaction also would be to go back to DWP and say there are no records available going back to 2003.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

1,941Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right back to self imposed twitter exile until Thur - trying to be off work (not v successfully)

• Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v? https://t.co/FJchchPk0o

• If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi? https://t.co/N61QGBOJ6b

• Follow Martin