Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • RPK43
    • By RPK43 10th Feb 19, 5:41 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Confusion about applying for ESA
    • #1
    • 10th Feb 19, 5:41 PM
    Confusion about applying for ESA 10th Feb 19 at 5:41 PM
    I'm not well enough to work and I've looked at the different types of ESA on the governments website.

    New style ESA requires that I've been an employee or self-employed and paid National Insurance contributions, usually in the last 2 to 3 years.

    Contribution based ESA requires that I get the severe disability premium.

    And Income-based ESA requires that I get the severe disability premium.

    I haven't been an employee or self employed in the last 2 to 3 years, and I don't get the severe disability premium.

    This hasn't stopped me from being able to claim ESA in the past though. So is there something I'm not understanding? Or have things changed now?

    I did look at the requirements a few weeks ago and I'm sure they were different, as after reading them I thought I did fit the requirements for New Style ESA, and so I applied for it over the phone.

    I did get the first form through the post and I filled it in and handed it into the job centre.

    So now I don't know if I applied for the wrong ESA or not.

    If I can't claim any type of ESA but I'm too ill to work, what am I supposed to do?
Page 1
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 10th Feb 19, 6:27 PM
    • 2,172 Posts
    • 1,458 Thanks
    • #2
    • 10th Feb 19, 6:27 PM
    • #2
    • 10th Feb 19, 6:27 PM
    If you do not meet the conditions for new style ESA (which has replaced contribution based ESA) you will have to claim Universal Credit (which has replaced income based ESA and several other means tested benefits).

    If you have a partner you will both have to claim UC and your entitlement will be worked out as a couple.

    If you need help with rent you need to claim Universal Credit anyway as it has replaced Housing Benefit.

    If you are found to have Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity (ESA Support Group) UC will pay more than the new style ESA. You can have both UC and new style ESA but the ESA will be taken into account when your UC entitlement is worked out.
    Last edited by calcotti; 10-02-2019 at 6:36 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

99Posts Today

914Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next?

  • RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

  • RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

  • Follow Martin