PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Am I a first time buyer?

Hi all,

I was wondering if you can help me get to the bottom of something. I want to use LISA and cash ISA to buy my first flat as many people under 30. However, I have read the description which says that I should not own a property outside the UK. I am a British citizen born outside the UK where my parents still live. They divorced when I was young and passed our small family flat to my sister and me on the condition my mum can live there (it is in the contract/divorce settlement). She still lives in the flat and I haven't lived with her for over 10 years now.

Does it mean I don't qualify as a first time buyer but I can still use ISA cash accounts for flat buyers? Is there any other help I can use? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Just a quick clarification. The flat is not in the UK but in the EU.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    White_Tara wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was wondering if you can help me get to the bottom of something. I want to use LISA and cash ISA to buy my first flat as many people under 30. However, I have read the description which says that I should not own a property outside the UK. I am a British citizen born outside the UK where my parents still live. They divorced when I was young and passed our small family flat to my sister and me on the condition my mum can live there (it is in the contract/divorce settlement). She still lives in the flat and I haven't lived with her for over 10 years now.

Does it mean I don't qualify as a first time buyer but I can still use ISA cash accounts for flat buyers? Is there any other help I can use? Any advice would be much appreciated.

You won't qualify for the LISA bonus for FTB because you already own a property elsewhere in the world. You won't qualify for the FTB SDLT relief either. You can use your savings in your cash ISA as a deposit though.

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/documents/2015/12/eligibility-of-ftbs.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/661728/8274_guidance_note_SDLT_relief_for_first_time_buyers.pdf
  • OP, I disagree with Pixie5740 slightly.

You need to be certain about how the property your mother lives in is owned. It may be in trust, and you won't actually own it until your mother chooses not to live there. I had a similar situation when I bought my flat. It is worth double checking the actual legal position.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure