Have DemonPlates tricked me into paying additional postage?

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Supersonos wrote: »
    Interesting point.

The exact wording is:

"Select your postage method.
    Standard - Free. Despatched in 5-7 working days
    Express - £3.99. Despatched in 2 working days"

The postage is actually the same (Royal Mail 48 for each). It's actually express despatch, although every other part of their site suggests despatch is generally within 2 days anyway.

As I said.
    I think this is a case of the seller getting his despatch and delivery messed up.

I'm not sure what bit of my post you misunderstood.
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    There's selling number plates illegally so why should they be bothered about other legislation?

Are you drunk?

You're the one who thinks there's [sic] selling them illegally, but refuse to explain why you think so:
    They shouldn't really be selling them as number plates over the web but... no one cares whether they are sold legally or not.

I think they're fine and see no reason to think I've bought something illegal.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Are you drunk?

You're the one who thinks there's [sic] selling them illegally, but refuse to explain why you think so:

I think they're fine and see no reason to think I've bought something illegal.

Read the regs on selling number plates.

Did you show the, your original documents? No so they've been illegally made and supplied. Technically speaking they're not number plates.
  • Supersonos
    Read the regs on selling number plates.

Why should I read the regs? I'm not a lawyer or a police officer. I'm a consumer. It's not my job to enforce the rules on selling number plates. I did my due diligence and checked on the DVLA website that they were a registered supplier. If their practices are illegal, I'd suggest your gripe is with the DVLA and not with me/Demon Plates.
    Did you show the, your original documents?

I think you are drunk.

Again, this has no relevance to my question. Whether I have or haven't shown my documents makes no difference on whether or not they should have suggested not paying £3.99 would have meant a 5-7 day lead time.
  • I think it's a case of mixed up terminology - they probably use a slower postage method for the free delivery.
    I run a fairly large online business and used to do the same - 2 tiers of delivery pricing, one for the stuff you didn't need in a rush, and one for when it's needed ASAP. :)

Since then I've just gone back to a single tier - everything goes out ASAP. Keeps it simple, and means I don't trip over lots of stacked non-urgent orders!
  • Supersonos
    they probably use a slower postage method for the free delivery.

Both methods use the same delivery service.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Why should I read the regs? I'm not a lawyer or a police officer. I'm a consumer. It's not my job to enforce the rules on selling number plates. I did my due diligence and checked on the DVLA website that they were a registered supplier. If their practices are illegal, I'd suggest your gripe is with the DVLA and not with me/Demon Plates.

I think you are drunk.

Again, this has no relevance to my question. Whether I have or haven't shown my documents makes no difference on whether or not they should have suggested not paying £3.99 would have meant a 5-7 day lead time.

So you read the bit about showing the original documents?
  • Supersonos
    So you read the bit about showing the original documents?

I did read that bit, yes. It's on the page where you can search for Registered Number Plate Suppliers. Demon Plates are one of those Registered Number Plate Suppliers. They come up as one of the results when you search for Registered Number Plate Suppliers on DVLA's website about Registered Number Plate Suppliers. Those being Number Plate Suppliers that are registered with the DVLA.

What does that have to do with my original question about postage costs?
    So have I been duped?
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I did read that bit, yes. It's on the page where you can search for Registered Number Plate Suppliers. Demon Plates are one of those Registered Number Plate Suppliers. They come up as one of the results when you search for Registered Number Plate Suppliers on DVLA's website about Registered Number Plate Suppliers. Those being Number Plate Suppliers that are registered with the DVLA.

What does that have to do with my original question about postage costs?

No you haven't you failed in your due diligence.

All the information is there, this is the one time you should have used Halfords.
  • Supersonos
    edited 8 August 2018 at 11:18PM
    No you haven't you failed in your due diligence.

All the information is there, this is the one time you should have used Halfords.

If you feel DVLA's systems are so lacking that they're allowing illegal suppliers to be included on their list of registered suppliers, I suggest you take it up with the DVLA.

When the police pull me over for buying an illegal plate, I'll be sure to come back here and offer my profuse apolgies. But unless you tell me what is so illegal, I can't possibly avoid the situation.
    They shouldn't really be selling them as number plates over the web but no one seems to care about the shoe plates you've purchased.

Maybe the real problem here is that when people do care, the people who have the details choose to not share them.

I guess I'll just have to use my shoe plates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure