Switching sites

Banger696
Banger696 Posts: 66 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Is it me or do switching sites like Switchcraft and Uswitch try to lock you into advanced payment direct debits. Currently my energy is paid when I get the bill, by direct debit. These payment systems dont seem to be available on switching sites! All the deals are in advance direct debit which is why a lot of people build up credit with their supplier and have a wrangle to get it back when they try to switch. It's outrageous!

And another thing when trying to fill in my gas useage on both the above sites, it says "error Gas use too low" and wont let me continue.

Comments

• Banger696
    Seems MSE Club also does this and you get stuck at loading prices so I switched to estimated and got a list. Seems monthly direct debit pay for what you use is no longer an option only quaterly direct debit.
  • Woolco
    Woolco Posts: 172 Forumite
    Never heard of switchcraft and uswich I wont use.

Go to which and energyhelpline.
  • DawnCrush
    DawnCrush Posts: 220 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Banger696 wrote: »
    Is it me or do switching sites like Switchcraft and Uswitch try to lock you into advanced payment direct debits. Currently my energy is paid when I get the bill, by direct debit. These payment systems dont seem to be available on switching sites! All the deals are in advance direct debit which is why a lot of people build up credit with their supplier and have a wrangle to get it back when they try to switch. It's outrageous!

And another thing when trying to fill in my gas useage on both the above sites, it says "error Gas use too low" and wont let me continue.

Switchcraft is an auto switching site.
    If that is a service you want, so be it, but there are issues such as you have to agree to their terms, and you will only be switched to a limited range of suppliers; suppliers that agree to pay the auto switching site for switching people like you to them.
    More about auto switching here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/10/automated-energy-switching/

uSwitch is one of a number of ofgem accredited energy comparison sites.
    Like many comparison sites, you can filter results to show tariffs that specifically interest you. If you want to pay on receipt of bill, quarterly by direct debit - then choose "Quarterly Direct Debit" under 'Paid by'.

Also ensure you select "Include plans that require switching directly through the supplier", to include suppliers that don't pay uSwitch commission :money:

I'm not sure how much gas you use, but uSwitch allows comparisons from as little as 2 kWh of gas per year.
    Remember that a gas meter does not record kWh.
    A metric gas meter records m3 of gas. 1m3 is approximately 11 kWh
    Am imperial gas meter records 100 ft3 units. Each unit is approx 33kWh
    So 1 unit from either type of meter is far more than the minimum amount the comparison site allows.
  • DawnCrush
    DawnCrush Posts: 220 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Banger696 wrote: »
    Seems MSE Club also does this and you get stuck at loading prices so I switched to estimated and got a list. Seems monthly direct debit pay for what you use is no longer an option only quaterly direct debit.

The MSE CEC allows you to filter results based on the follwing payment options:
    • Monthly Direct Debit
    • Monthly Cash or Cheque
    • Quarterly Direct Debit
    • Quarterly Cash or Cheque
    Perhaps it'll become so much clearer when you wake up today; I can fully understand how you might be so confuzzled at 3-4am on a Friday night/Saturday morning ;)
  • Banger696
    You miss the point Dawn. I currently pay by monthly direct debit for the energy I have used with Shell Energy not an estimated amount in advance and no one seems to be able to do this other than quarterly and I dont want smart meters. I dont want to build up credit I want to pay for the energy I have used by submitting readings and paying for it by direct debit as I currently do.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you're seeking Monthly Variable Direct Debit, it's offered by E.On and probably several others.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think it's the switching sites fault.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Are you looking at the smaller suppliers? It's just that many of these now bill in advance based on estimated use because of the cost of credit to pay for the fuel until you pay and to lessen the risk of someone not paying. The big companies still offer options to pay on receipt of bill and are these not options on the switching sites?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    When I was thinking or going with Iresa (now bust)
    They took payment in advance but also wanted monthly readings to vary the DD based on actual usuage
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure