Energy bill doubled in price recently issue !

Options

Comments

• twang72
    twang72 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    About 10000 kwh a year for the gas/ 3000 for the electric. But this is an average - depends on the property, its age insulation, your lifestyle, how warm you like it ..............

Could you answer my post - when was the Smart installed and what is today's reading ?

18 months since the Smart install and today's reading on the smart meter is :

electricity: 5.80k9C0z
    gas:3.92k9C0z

Total today: £2.36

Yesterdays reading via BG site however are

24kwh and total cost £2.93

Well my combined 2018 usage for me was 2006 kwh so quite a big difference almost double, hopefully next door neighbors not using my electricity grid !
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I meant the readings in M3 (for the gas) something like 01234.56 and kwh (for the electric) 123456.7 - watch out for the decimal points. Your opening readings will be on your first bill
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Robin9
    Options
    twang72 wrote: »
    electricity: 5.80k9C0z
    gas:3.92k9C0z............ !

I think you mean kgCO2 - this related to carbon dioxide and has nothing to do with your energy consumption.

Are you taking these from your In House Display ? The readings we want come from the meter itself - usually in a box on the side of the house or in the garage. Some of the meters can be very difficult to read - mine has a small keypad and I need to press button 9.
  • twang72
    edited 11 August 2019 at 12:59PM
    Options
    oh my mistake, checked the smart meter and selected price and kwh as of yesterdays readings it was:

Gas: £0.74p
    electricity: £2.08

kw button:
    gas :11.58kwh
    elec:10.09kwh

Todays current smart meter reading is:

Gas £0.69
    elec:£1.24

kw:
    Gas 11.07kwh
    elec 5.55kwh

Checked the meter box outside and hit A button and then B and it only displayed :05193.423 m3 but this was todays outside meter reading only.

Not sure if that is any help, thanks Robin
  • Robin9
    Options
    twang72 wrote: »
    ...............:05193.422 m3 but this was todays outside meter reading only.

Yes indeed - that's 5193. Now what was it when you moved in - and when was that.
  • twang72
    Options
    Yes indeed - that's 5193. Now what was it when you moved in - and when was that.

I would not be able to tell the meter readings from 30+ years ago sadly, can't even recall if we had that type of meter back then.
  • Robin9
    Options
    twang2 - just go back to when the Smart was installed - what was the date.
    My apologies I thought this was a new problem.

You really have been with BG for all that time - never swapped - never changed tariff ?????????????? WOW if that's the case you are one of those customers who could save a lot of money.
  • twang72
    Options
    twang2 - just go back to when the Smart was installed - what was the date.
    My apologies I thought this was a new problem.

Oh ok no worries, I actually checked more history looks like I had the smart installed end of 2016 with a reading of Smart Meter Reading 01327 2222.0(kwh)

You really have been with BG for all that time - never swapped - never changed tariff ?????????????? WOW if that's the case you are one of those customers who could save a lot of money.

Its ok, I think I just have to accept natural price increases and higher energy usages from looks, if the rough amount is 1.2k for combined gas/electricity, I can see I paid combined 2016 about 1.1k and 2018 1.2k and so far £900 in 2019 so I think its okish and normal.

Never swooped providers, but I have changed to fixed tariffs often to save money when they offer it.
  • twang72
    Options
    Having said that I will try a comparison website and see if I can do better :)
  • Robin9
    Options
    Please let us know what saving you achieve.

In seeking comparisons use actual consumptions in kwh - not what you used to pay in £ or number of rooms.

You may find more savings if you have different suppliers for electric and gas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport