Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ozzy49
    • By ozzy49 12th Jul 19, 5:13 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 27Thanks
    ozzy49
    Unwarranted Cat 6 Cifas Marker from Sky
    • 12th Jul 19, 5:13 PM
    Unwarranted Cat 6 Cifas Marker from Sky 12th Jul 19 at 5:13 PM
    Hi all,

Sorry for the long post! Really need some advice.

I recently applied for a mortgage which was declined and the Bank was unable to provide a reason despite having had a mortgage a couple of years ago and no issues with my credit reports from all 3 agencies. Around the same time, I had a call from my credit card provider to say they were closing my account and again, couldn't provide a reason.

I put a SAR in to Cifas which I got back today. It shows that Sky has registered a Cat 6 marker on my name!

I'm trying to upload an image of the letter but as I'm a noob, I can't do it

So, back in March 2016, I took up an offer through Hughes Direct for Sky Installation at £15. I was told that I'd get TV services free for 12 months and to call them at the end of the 12 months if I wanted to continue. I never did want the services (just the installation as I was having the house refurbished) so had no reason to call especially as I hadn't signed up to any agreement or contract and I hadn't provided any direct debit details. I just had to pay the £15 with a debit card.

I never heard anything until September 2018 when a payment went out from my bank account to "Sky Subscription" for £39.50. As far as I knew I didn't have any subscriptions so genuinely believed someone had used my details. I called the bank who refunded the payment and sent me a new card. All was fine.

I then started getting letters from Sky saying I owed them money, I called them up and explained the situation and they agreed to credit the amount back to the account and close it. I even told them that I'd realised the payment that went out of my bank account must have been relating to this but I'd got my money back from the bank anyway.

As far as I can tell, I have not committed any sort of fraud in the slightest and I cannot understand how they have stated to Cifas "Compromised card used to make payment" when it was my own card that was used.

I've explained everything to Sky today who agree with me but nobody understands really what Cifas is. I got through to a senior manager (who was actually pretty helpful) in the end who spent 1 hour speaking with the Finance and Legal teams in their Head Office, they insisted they hadn't filed the Cifas, it's impossible for them to do so as they're not a credit provider and as such they don't even know how they'd remove it. They're blaming the bank for the marker. The chap is willing to write me a Final Response Letter stating the above but I need this sorting as soon as possible really as my house purchase is about to fall through.

I called Cifas to explain who confirmed it was definitely Sky that added the marker but if they couldn't remove it I should get in touch with the Ombudsman.

Now, given how adamant Sky are that they haven't added the marker, is there a chance it wasn't them and it was my bank despite the SAR stating issuer as Sky? (Sky's explanation is that their name is only on the report because that's who the transaction relates to).

Also, surely if I send the letter from Sky (when I receive it) to Cifas explaining that the marker is unwarranted but Sky don't know how to remove it, they should be able to remove it? Why are they telling me to go directly to the Ombudsman?

I'm worried all my credit cards and bank accounts will soon start getting closed if I don't get this sorted ASAP. Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks
    Oz

EDIT: Added the letter at the following link: https://imgur.com/a/hTJ7Xk9
    Last edited by ozzy49; 06-08-2019 at 3:06 PM. Reason: Link
Page 4
    • Dr Crypto
    • By Dr Crypto 22nd Jul 19, 10:52 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Dr Crypto
    Aye I hope so. Hopefully the OP will keep us up to date.
    • ozzy49
    • By ozzy49 24th Jul 19, 11:14 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    ozzy49
    Hi all, sorry for not posting over the past few days, I've been snowed under with work and the stress of this whole situation is beginning to take its toll. I've uploaded the letter I sent to Sky here:

https://imgur.com/PO86ywX
    https://imgur.com/lV01GpU
    https://imgur.com/mhQAYMN

I've not had a response yet to this letter nor to the previous letters and emails I have sent to Sky. I have this morning received an email from CIFAS asking me for correspondence from Sky stating that they intend to remove the marker and that if I don't have this, I need to get Sky to contact CIFAS. That's still a dead end as I've already mentioned this to Sky and they seem to be ignoring me.

Just waiting for the 7 days to be up now before taking court action - I was really hoping this could be resolved before then. I know I have no experience in Law and going through the courts and I'm probably being naive in thinking I can do it myself but seeing as the whole issue seems so simple and easy to resolve, I'll probably go through with it on my own if it comes to that. I know that Sky holding and reporting incorrect data on myself is in breach of the DPA, not to mention that they are not keeping their data accurate and up to date despite repeated requests from myself for them to do so. Also, the fact that they have advertised me to other financial organisations as a fraudster is likely libel and defamation of character in my opinion but I may be wrong.
    • ozzy49
    • By ozzy49 1st Aug 19, 10:38 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    ozzy49
    Hi all, some good news at last - Sky has removed the marker!

A couple of weeks ago when I kept getting sent round in circles, I sent emails out to every major newspaper, two of them got back to me and were liasing with Sky regarding the issue (I'm not sure whether I can name the newspapers here). Initially Sky kept insisting to the reporters that they couldn't remove the entry and I'd need to contact my bank but all of a sudden, on Monday evening, I received emails from both reporters advising the marker had been removed. I received confirmation of this from CIFAS yesterday afternoon too.

I'm not sure if it was the final letter before action that resulted in this or the reporters getting in touch with them. They've still not responded to my letters or emails though.

I'm sure the story will appear in the papers or online at some point soon - I just hope that it will provide some information for the many people out there who could have a CIFAS marker and have no idea about it.

The bank has also run the CIFAS again and it's come back clear. I think the house purchase is going to come down to the wire though, I'm still waiting on them to finalise the offer before the deadline of the end of the week. I've also advised Amex that the marker has been removed, I'm waiting for them to come back to me on whether they'll re-instate my suspended accounts.

I just want to say a massive thank you to all of you who helped with kind words and advice thorughout this ordeal! I really appreciate it.

If anyone reading this thread finds themselves in a similar situation, drop me a PM and I'd be more than happy to help.
    Last edited by ozzy49; 01-08-2019 at 1:03 PM. Reason: Typo
    • muhandis
    • By muhandis 1st Aug 19, 10:43 AM
    • 928 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    muhandis
    This is amazing news. I'm over the moon for you! Well done for persevering and keeping at it.

Hi all, some good news at last - Sky has removed the marker!

A couple of weeks ago when I kept getting sent round in circles, I sent emails out to every major newspaper, two of them got back to me and were liasing with Sky regarding the issue (I'm not sure whether I can name the newspapers here). Initially Sky kept insisting to the reporters that they couldn't remove the entry and I'd need to contact my bank but all of a sudden, on Monday evening, I received emailed from both reporters advising the marker had been removed. I received confirmation of this from CIFAS yesterday afternoon too.

I'm not sure if it was the final letter before action that resulted in this or the reporters getting in touch with them. They've still not responded to my letters or emails though.

I'm sure the story will appear in the papers or online at some point soon - I just hope that it will provide some information for the many people out there who could have a CIFAS marker and have no idea about it.

The bank has also run the CIFAS again and it's come back clear. I think the house purchase is going to come down to the wire though, I'm still waiting on them to finalise the offer before the deadline of the end of the week. I've also advised Amex that the marker has been removed, I'm waiting for them to come back to me on whether they'll re-instate my suspended accounts.

I just want to say a massive thank you to all of you who helped with kind words and advice thorughout this ordeal! I really appreciate it.

If anyone reading this thread finds themselves in a similar situation, drop me a PM and I'd be more than happy to help.
    Originally posted by ozzy49
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 1st Aug 19, 10:52 AM
    • 3,332 Posts
    • 2,806 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Great news and thanks for keeping the thread updated.

I suspect it was probably the papers/media story that did it as they donít want the negative press. I would also persist in seeking damages/compensation from Sky by taking them to court as you previously outlined. They messed up here and need to make things right. Removing the marker was just the beginning.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 1st Aug 19, 11:45 AM
    • 18,030 Posts
    • 16,953 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Always pays to continue been a thorn in their side when you know you are right.
    Well done OP, great result for you.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

Helping you deal with problem debt.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • ozzy49
    • By ozzy49 1st Aug 19, 12:24 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    ozzy49
    Thanks guys, as muhandis requested, the reporters who got back to me were Jill Insley at Question of Money (Sunday Times) and George Nixon at This is Money (Mail Online). Both were really helpful! (I did email quite a few and these were the only two who originally responded, I did just half an hour ago receive a third response as well)

I would also persist in seeking damages/compensation from Sky by taking them to court as you previously outlined. They messed up here and need to make things right. Removing the marker was just the beginning.
    Originally posted by Candyapple
    Thanks Candyapple, I agree. Once the mortgage comes through (hopefully in time) and the property purchase is complete (again, hopefully!), I will probably pursue this through MCOL as I'll have an idea of exactly how much I've lost financially. I do suspect that Sky will try to defend it though as I've just a few minutes ago received an email from the third reporter with a statement from Sky. I've uploaded the email and my response on the link below. Seems like they're trying to avoid accepting fault in case I proceed to seek damages from them.

https://imgur.com/a/mA24TJY

EDIT - Just noticed my response stated I received a resolution on Monday, been a manic week and I think it's still Tuesday today!
    Last edited by ozzy49; 01-08-2019 at 1:04 PM. Reason: Edit
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 1st Aug 19, 12:37 PM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    boo_star
    Thanks guys, as muhandis requested, the reporters who got back to me where Jill Insley at Question of Money (Sunday Times) and George Nixon at This is Money (Mail Online). Both were really helpful! (I did email quite a few and these were the only two who originally responded, I did just half an hour ago receive a third response as well)

Thanks Candyapple, I agree. Once the mortgage comes through (hopefully in time) and the property purchase is complete (again, hopefully!), I will probably pursue this through MCOL as I'll have an idea of exactly how much I've lost financially. I do suspect that Sky will try to defend it though as I've just a few minutes ago received an email from the third reporter with a statement from Sky. I've uploaded the email and my response on the link below. Seems like they're trying to avoid accepting fault in case I proceed to seek damages from them.

EDIT - Just noticed my response stated I received a resolution on Monday, been a manic week and I think it's still Tuesday today!
    I'd agree with the second point but I'd disagree with the fourth and fifth ones.
    • muhandis
    • By muhandis 1st Aug 19, 1:02 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    muhandis
    Thanks for the further details Ozzy.

I really like your comprehensive response to the c*ap that Sky has said. As you say, they still refuse to accept the mistake they made, both in placing a CAT6 marker (without the required standard of proof) and then dealing with your enquires in the most bizarrely incompetent manner (insisting that they couldn't remove the marker that CIFAS confirmed was placed by Sky and could only be removed by Sky).

Good luck with the money claim, hopefully Sky will cough up before it gets to that stage.

Thanks guys, as muhandis requested, the reporters who got back to me where Jill Insley at Question of Money (Sunday Times) and George Nixon at This is Money (Mail Online). Both were really helpful! (I did email quite a few and these were the only two who originally responded, I did just half an hour ago receive a third response as well)

• worried jim
    • By worried jim 4th Aug 19, 7:45 PM
    • 10,499 Posts
    • 16,407 Thanks
    worried jim
    Here us the excellent story in full -

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-7306311/Unfair-Cifas-marker-Sky-nearly-derails-house-purchase.html
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,732Posts Today

8,733Users online

Martin's Twitter