Advice on downsizing car!

DigForVictory
DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
Currently Mondeo driver, but looking at moving down to something to commute in & out of town (note 16 miles of motorway each way included.)
I'm used to the Mondeo's big manual 1.8 petrol engine and boot space for bodies but as one lad's moved out & another's getting his test, three diagonal belts across the back is no longer an issue & neither is a vast boot.

Something mechanically reliable, good rep against rust, as low insurance as possible but with an engine still capable of merging with other Mway traffic without tears. All those smart electronics like rear parking advice etc - I've never had & likely won't miss.

I'm told Citroën DS4, Volkswagen up! & Fiat 500L are all said to be cheap to insure but I haven't driven any of them. Mileage presently under 15K unless we go on a distant camping expedition. (I think I'll hire a bigger vehicle for those as needed.)

I'm mildly open minded [aka stone ignorant] about a hybrid (local cabbies love them) but since I can't put together more than 5K, I'm guessing going electric can wait.

Advice & suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Personally I'd just keep what I have until it dies.
    Changing cars is expensive, and you presumably know what you have maintenance wise with the Mondeo.
  • benbay001
    benbay001 Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 July 2019 at 5:24PM
    Well, at the extreme end of small car, I love my Toyota iQ.

Its a 1.3 with 99bhp, yet weighs 900kg, so its not usual city car slow.

Has satnav, auto light, auto wiper, keyless entry, leather seats, Bluetooth etc.

It can seat 3 in comfort, 4 at a push.

Mine averaged 45mpg during the winter, 48mpg now with a good mix of driving.

Its insured for 12000 miles per year and is relatively comfy for long journeys for a city car.

I managed to get an Ikea 4 seat dining table and chairs in two weeks ago (flat packed ofc)

Cost me £3000 a year ago and all its needed is a service and air con regas.

A good condition mk2 Prius can be had for £5k or less. They are supposedly very reliable and hybrid batteries have come down massively in price (£1k now, I believe).
    Or a high mileage Auris Hybrid?

Yes, I like my Toyotas.
    Im A Budding Neil Woodford.
  • DigForVictory
    I think the trouble I have with the current Mondeo (& Certainly for the previous one) is that while I know "what you have maintenance wise", I still do not dip the oil tank often enough (I mean once a year, unless taking to known mechanic whose greeting starts with "How's yer oil?").

Also since I do not have to drive teenage louts around, I can afford something smaller & hopefully cheaper to insure, where I can genuinely say "but you won't fit".

There is such a thing as a second hand Prius Already? Wow! There's even one in Liverpool for under £2k but I have no idea what I'd be getting into (as I said, stone ignorant] & it looks Almost As Big as my Mondeo.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think the trouble I have with the current Mondeo (& Certainly for the previous one) is that while I know "what you have maintenance wise", I still do not dip the oil tank often enough (I mean once a year, unless taking to known mechanic whose greeting starts with "How's yer oil?").

Also since I do not have to drive teenage louts around, I can afford something smaller & hopefully cheaper to insure, where I can genuinely say "but you won't fit".

There is such a thing as a second hand Prius Already? Wow! There's even one in Liverpool for under £2k but I have no idea what I'd be getting into (as I said, stone ignorant] & it looks Almost As Big as my Mondeo.

Look! You've worked hard for your money, met your obligations, if you want to treat yourself, then you do not have to justify your spend to anybody, just admit, you fancy a change of car , there is no crime in that.
    At present I'm after another pushbike, looks like I'll spend nearer £2k but hey it's my money :)
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Fair enough. You do need to dip the oil more often though!

Saw a thing on YouTube a bit back where a guy (American admittedly) bought a Prius with worn out battery really cheap. Battery recon place will sell you a guaranteed battery for sub £1000 IIRC. I looked into it at the time. Probably 18 months ago. You'd need to do your own research of course.
    So a certain amount of messing about could get you a cheap leccy motor.
    Must say when I had a ride in one I was much more impressed than I thought i'd be.
  • DigForVictory
    Looking at the IQ I think that's downsizing a bit further than I'm quite ready for.
    If I were enjoying a mid-life crisis I'd be looking at a 1969 MGB roadster or something of that beautiful impracticability!

But I do need to get the groceries & run the husband about occasionally.

Where do I *start* researching electrics & hybrids?!
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've got a 1.8 petrol Volvo and don't find it overly thirsty. How much will it cost you to save money on fuel? I don't like the £265 ved but unless I spend a decent amount many cars aren't massively cheaper to tax. Before buying it I checked insurance for various cars and found it cheaper than everything I tried including smaller cars such as fiestas. Your Mondeo might be the same.
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    at less than 5 grand you are paddling in very variable waters. i would forget electric at that price. theres not enough available.

how about something off the wall like a chrysler pt cruiser or saab 93?
  • DigForVictory
    A godfather had a PT Cruiser & loved it. Not in production so spares will make the insurance more expensive, surely?

"very variable waters" - no kidding!

My family grouch I've been Far Too Loyal to Mondeos - well, at least I know what I'm doing even if it isn't checking the oil, ahem. If I can't get serious money together, I'll likely go back for another one! Even if it is far too big for what's needed.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Citroën DS4, Volkswagen up! & Fiat 500L
    That's a very random set of very different vehicles.

A Focus-sized hatch, a tiny citycar, and a Meriva-sized sprogbus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure