Advice needed on rail ticket claim

Options
I booked a journey from Hadfield via Manchester to Birmingham, The outgoing journey was so delayed (at 1.5 hour) that there was no point me in continuing the journey as I missed my appointment, so i turned back at Manchester. Therefore the return journey was never made.

I put a claim in with Northern Rail and received compensation for the outgoing part of the journey. I asked for compensation for the return leg as well. They told me that I would have to contact Cross Country (as they issued the ticket to me) about this and make a claim with them. I am being passed around? Should i keep on at Northern Rail, or now contact Cross Country (i actually did several days ago, and yet to have a response).

thanks for any advice

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,522 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 5 July 2019 at 3:54PM
    Options
    Northern caused your initial delay and have paid out correctly.

For a journey not made you need to contact the ticket retailer. Do not make a claim for an unused portion through delay repay.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you buy one ticket for the entire journey, or two separate ones?

If you had two different tickets, the first response is correct.
  • tc1992
    tc1992 Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks both. It was booked as, i think, two seperate journeys, both at aprox £24. So sounds like i should pursue this with Cross Country
  • Voyager2002
    Options
    Cross country would reply, quite reasonably, that they ran your train as advertised and they are not responsible for the fact that you did not take it. Depending on the ticket type, they may give a refund for an unused ticket but will certainly charge an admin fee for this. Northern are responsible: contact their complaints department and ask them to cover all that you spent on tickets since it is entirely their fault that this was a complete waste. When they fob you off, involve your MP. I did manage to get a full refund last year under comparable circumstances, but only once my MP had got the Minister for transport involved!
  • tc1992
    tc1992 Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello Voyager, yes that was what i was thinking as well. I have a feeling they will both try and pass me from one to the other. Did you not go the the Rail Ombisnman (sp?) ? before the MP?
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The rule is that for an abandoned journey, including where in your case you turned back half way, when the reason is disruption caused by any aspect of the railway, you do not receive compensation from any of the train operating companies, but you apply to whoever sold you the ticket for a full refund without an administration charge.

As Cross Country sold you the ticket(s) for your round trip, they are the ones who should REFUND you in full irrespective of which aspect of railway operations caused you to abandon your journey.
  • Voyager2002
    Options
    tc1992 wrote: »
    Hello Voyager, yes that was what i was thinking as well. I have a feeling they will both try and pass me from one to the other. Did you not go the the Rail Ombisnman (sp?) ? before the MP?

Yes, I did try the Regulator but all they seemed to do was forward my concerns on to Northern
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure