MSE News: Phone charge shake-up will cut bills, Ofcom says

Options
"The price consumers pay to call 08, 09 and 118 numbers is set to be made clearer under new Ofcom rules..."
Read the full story:

Phone charge shake-up will cut bills, Ofcom says

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    You can usually find geographical numbers beginning 01 or 02 when calling companies.

... or 03 numbers which should also be charged at the same rate :)
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    'Clearer' and OFCOM is an oxymoron.

As for making it clearer - we now have to understand the 3 different elements at go to making up the call charge.

Clear as mud....... :)
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    So now like Ofgem they are going to force a "standing charge" on ALL phone calls? Grrr :mad:

Why can't there just be 3 rates per minute for all numbers - free, cheap (01,02,03,0845,0870) and expensive (0844,0871), and separate charges only for proper premium numbers (09) and international calls.
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    ... or 03 numbers which should also be charged at the same rate :)

These 03 numbers that are supposedly better than 08 are excluded from my home phone call package. 0800, 0845 and 0870 are included. They're also not included from my mobile and they don't often have a true "geographic" alternative. So yeah, I'm not that enthusiastic about the "benefits" of 03 numbers.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2013 at 6:13AM
    Options
    amiehall wrote: »
    These 03 numbers that are supposedly better than 08 are excluded from my home phone call package. 0800, 0845 and 0870 are included. They're also not included from my mobile and they don't often have a true "geographic" alternative. So yeah, I'm not that enthusiastic about the "benefits" of 03 numbers.

Who are you with then that dont include them ? Whoever they are they breach Ofcom rules by not including them.

"Calls to 03 numbers cost no more than a national rate call to an 01 or 02 number and must count towards any inclusive minutes in the same way as 01 and 02 calls."

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2009/09/what-are-03-numbers/
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2013 at 6:39AM
    Options
    amiehall wrote: »

Are absolutely you sure they are not included ? Given that various suppliers i have seen advertising say they are.

EG. Taking a quick sample BT,Talk Talk,Virgin Media, O2 and Voda all say they are.
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2013 at 6:32AM
    Options
    zerog wrote: »
    So now like Ofgem they are going to force a "standing charge" on ALL phone calls? Grrr :mad:

No only chargeable non geographical type calls will be affected and the Overall price won't change, but the way it is displayed will.

Currently unless your with BT it can be difficult to work out non geographical charges, some suppliers charge 100% more then BT Eg Virgin. Ofcom think if people can easily compare prices, it will encourage both phone companies and service providers to compete over rates.
  • spandit
    spandit Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The giffgaff mobile network has always had 0800 numbers as freephone numbers. As far as I'm aware they are the only ones who do.

It would be nice for others to follow suit, particularly for those who haven't got a landline (or nearby phone box) and expect to be on hold for a long time.
    If you find my post helpful please press the THANKS button.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The aspect that annoys me most is that some organisations insist on describing an 0845 number as a 'local rate' call.

BT (& presumably most other carriers) abolished the difference between local calls and trunk calls many years ago.

Whilst BT (& some others) include 0845 numbers in their 'inclusive' packages, many carriers don't. Thus I'd be charged for ringing their 'local' number but not for calling a landline several hundred miles away.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    As all 08 numbers ultimately end at a normal phone number, why can't Ofcom just compel all advertising for an 08 number to give an equivalent 01, 02 or 03 number as well and let the customer decide which number to use and decide for himself whether he wants to be ripped off or not?
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure