Ebay, at an all time low?

Hi, is anyone having success selling clothes on Ebay anymore? Even though a lot of our stuff is fashionable High street brands, they are not even getting looked at....and we are now selling just to get rid at little or no profit.....what's happened?
Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing altogether.:D

Comments

• I don't sell, but I buy. To be honest I only buy the clothes from shops that I don't usually go to as they are expensive/far away/online only. I know it sounds silly! I have noticed that Lindy Bop dresses can get a lot of competitive bids. I don't see many bids on high street items. Fat Face/White Stuff/Joe Browns seem to have a couple of bids each!

I think it would be good to advertise eBay for buying clothes again, I never thought about it really until my friend got a pair of Lindy Bop shoes for £6! I've been telling all my friends that I've started buying dresses from eBay - hopefully it'll pick up again as I've noticed that thrifting and charity shop shopping is making a come back for young people
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,009
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm nowhere near selling clothing but I'd guess that the big brands outlet selling on Ebay doesn't help. I barely sell on Ebay, I have the same listings on Ebay as Amazon and turn over more in a day on Amazon than I do in a month on Ebay. So my suggestion would be to have a look on Amazon, there's plenty of clothing on there.
  • Have you tried any of the other marketplaces, like Facebook local selling groups, gumtree or shpock?
    I don't really buy much clothing on eBay these days but still sometimes grab things I think are bargains, and I've noticed between the high street sales going on at the moment and the "official" clearance outlets on eBay, clothing prices on eBay have really dropped.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi, is anyone having success selling clothes on Ebay anymore? Even though a lot of our stuff is fashionable High street brands, they are not even getting looked at....and we are now selling just to get rid at little or no profit.....what's happened?

pretty much yes. Last summer was pretty low with them messing about with the algorithms and going days without a sale.
    At the end of Jan they messed about again, and more days without a sale.

It's lost its identity. It's trying to be like Amazon (which it isnt and we dont need another one)
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When postage of items is about £4, it doesn't make sense buying high street items .
    I only sell stuff that was very expensive to start with and that sells fine.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,031
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    hollydays wrote: »
    When postage of items is about £4, it doesn't make sense buying high street items .
    I only sell stuff that was very expensive to start with and that sells fine.

I do tend to agree. A 2nd class parcel via RM bought online is £2.90 plus say 33p for eBay and PayPal fees so about £3.23, looking at various items over the past few days where postage is charged as an addition to the item cost most people seem to charge no more than around £3.20, so either take a small hit of a few pence or are using a business account to lower the postage cost.

There are some, mainly private sellers with low feedback charging nearer £4 and using signed for even on low value items where it seems un necessary.

That's already a fair bit of money to pay out if on a budget especially as places like Matalan or Primark are often full of bargain items at the cheaper end of the market.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I buy loads of second hand clothes eBay, but only in bundles.

The postage for a 1 off item just doesn't make it worth it unless it is a more expensive item.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure