Vegan Living & Ethical Buying

Comments

• I have just ordered some vegan food wraps! :j.....I have looked into reusable food wraps previously but could never find anything other than beeswax wraps which obviously aren't okay for me. These are re-usable for around 12 months and once they have come to the end of their useful life, they are fully compostable!!:T Must admit, I'm pretty excited about them...yep, I'm that tragic!! :rotfl:

Although I use glass dishes for most of my stuff, dil is cooking now for her and ds, so I know that we are going to need more of those too, but I just don't have the storage space currently - hopefully, these wraps will fill the void until ds gets my additional shelving done! ;)

Not much else to report - going to put together a suma order in the next couple of days as I am running out of some stuff - it will be a challenge to fit it all in as my house is currently a building site but I'm going to have to manage somehow!!:rotfl:
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I have just ordered some vegan food wraps! :j.....I have looked into reusable food wraps previously but could never find anything other than beeswax wraps which obviously aren't okay for me. These are re-usable for around 12 months and once they have come to the end of their useful life, they are fully compostable!!:T Must admit, I'm pretty excited about them...yep, I'm that tragic!! :rotfl:
    LOL! Not tragic, just happy ;) Have you got a link to them, I'd only ever found beeswax or plastic :(
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • I got them from here savvy:

https://www.rowenstillwater.com/collections/all

They arrived yesterday and I'm pretty impressed! :D Dh wasn't convinced until they turned up...now he thinks they're a grat plan!! :rotfl: I bought 3 pks of 3 which worked out at around £36 I think but definitely worth the cash if they last as long as is stated ;)
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My post is not especially vegan related, but we vegans do love our natural habitat, so hopefully no one will mind me posting this. After seeing lots of news reports about the damage plastic is doing to our environment, I started to look at my own lifestyle to see if I could make some changes. I do a lot of travelling as part of my job and I am always dismayed with the small plastic shower gel, shampoo and conditioners provided by the hotels. They often provide a small soap as well, so I stick with that if possible, but just use the gel if not, trying to eek out the whole pot for my stay (often the hotel staff throw it away after one use, so I used to hide it). I decided that I'd just bring my own shower gel, then decided that they still come in plastic, so I found some soap bars wrapped in paper and I bought a soap case for my toiletry bag. This started me thinking and I went on to replace my disposable razor heads with a double edged safety razor and 100% recyclable razor blades, replaced shaving gel in a metal can with shaving soap in a paper wrapper, antiperspirant in a plaster roller with an alum crystal block (I'm amazed with how well this stuff works!), toopaste in a plastic tube with toothpowder in a glass bottle (with metal lid), mouth wash in a plastic bottle with mouthwash tablets in a glass bottle (metal lid) and hair gel in a plastic tube with hair putty in a metal case.

My travel bag is now completely plastic free (& obv vegan) and I'm looking to see where else I can reduce/remove plastic from my life.

I found loads of websites dedicated to a plastic free life, so I'm going to do research and see just how plastic free I can get :)

Safety razors are great for cutting down rubbish - and money saving too. I replaced bottles of hand wash with solid soap a long time ago, but haven't found it suits me for use all over in the shower, or for my face, only for hand washing.

For the shower gel and shampoo I'm buying the biggest bottles since they use the least packaging per unit of product. Bar soap would be better if I could use it.

I'm not trying to avoid plastics as such, just going for the least waste possible. Sometimes this leads me to plastic packaging, other times away from it. Depends how much product to packaging there is and how many uses I'll get from something.
  • cod3
    cod3 Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    [rant]I am always baffled by non-vegans who feign concern about plastic waste killing sealife, but they don't care enough to actually stop...er...killing sealife to eat it :( [/rant]

Not you lovely folk obviously :beer:

This year I started making my own soap. Not fancy soap, just plain and without added extras that aggravate my kids' skin. This reduces packaging and it costs coppers to make compared to buying other cruelty free soap. I put oats in my second batch and it is lovely.

Have a lovely Hogmanay and a great 2019.

I am going to park the word VEGANUARY here in case any new MSE vegans are searching for this keyword and need any help :hello:
  • savvy
    cod3 wrote: »
    [rant]I am always baffled by non-vegans who feign concern about plastic waste killing sealife, but they don't care enough to actually stop...er...killing sealife to eat it :( [/rant]

Not you lovely folk obviously :beer:

This year I started making my own soap. Not fancy soap, just plain and without added extras that aggravate my kids' skin. This reduces packaging and it costs coppers to make compared to buying other cruelty free soap. I put oats in my second batch and it is lovely.

Have a lovely Hogmanay and a great 2019.

I am going to park the word VEGANUARY here in case any new MSE vegans are searching for this keyword and need any help :hello:
    Sounds interesting, but how easy is it? I always need quick and easy remedies lol, so time poor!!
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • cod3
    cod3 Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    savvy wrote: »
    Sounds interesting, but how easy is it? I always need quick and easy remedies lol, so time poor!!

Not sure if you are asking about soap making or Veganuary so I'll try to cover all bases. The good news is they are both easy :)

This is the soap recipe I used. I used the 1lb test size first and it made 8 bars. For my second batch I used the same recipe and added some oats at the end (just plain oats whizzed a little in the food processor) The lye/caustic soda I got cheaply from the local hardware shop. I used tap water instead of distilled as we live in the west of Scotland where the water is lovely and soft (and free haha).

https://vedgedout.com/2012/11/07/vegan-cold-process-soap/

https://veganuary.com/
  • savvy
    cod3 wrote: »
    Not sure if you are asking about soap making or Veganuary so I'll try to cover all bases. The good news is they are both easy :)

This is the soap recipe I used. I used the 1lb test size first and it made 8 bars. For my second batch I used the same recipe and added some oats at the end (just plain oats whizzed a little in the food processor) The lye/caustic soda I got cheaply from the local hardware shop. I used tap water instead of distilled as we live in the west of Scotland where the water is lovely and soft (and free haha).

https://vedgedout.com/2012/11/07/vegan-cold-process-soap/

https://veganuary.com/
    Aw thanks, yes the soap lol ;)
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    For those not quite as keen on making their own it's still good to see bar soap getting more mainstream attention:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2019/jan/07/sales-soap-up-better-cleaning-shower-gel
  • Hi there lovely vegan-type peeps! Newbie forumite here! I was wondering if anyone was planning to grow their own veggies this year, & if so do you have any savvy tips? I've made a list of what seeds to sow when (I follow the moon phase planting system) & am raring to go, just waiting for things to warm up a bit!

Look forward to hearing your views!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure