Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks Beanie
    I was so grumpy at the beginning of the week but slowly realised that I'm getting there and although the house stuff looked like an almighty, monstrous, undoable scary thing I have got there bit by bit. It's my little haven and both of us deserve to be looked after, whether I live here forever or not.

Rosa xx

You do both do deserve to be looked after :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I have been inspired by your DIY, so much so that I have signed up for a DIY course at my local college starting in late Autumn. If all goes to plan I will have more time soon but less money so doing some of the work myself will be :money: but also empowering. Thank you ;)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2018 at 9:21PM
    Options
    I have been inspired by your DIY, so much so that I have signed up for a DIY course at my local college starting in late Autumn. If all goes to plan I will have more time soon but less money so doing some of the work myself will be :money: but also empowering. Thank you ;)

Yay! :T

It is SO empowering DIA - I had no idea where to start but I have a good eye for design and a steady hand, and between books, YouTube and friends I am astonished what I can manage. A course is a good plan, I might look at that later in the year.

Just to give you an idea, I can now:
    • strip wallpaper (using the flat attachment on my little steam cleaner)
    • fill small holes in plaster
    • sand walls
    • paint walls
    • put up towel rail, cupboard and shelves (including checking for wires etc behind where I want to put something, drilling the holes, and finding the appropriate thing to hold stuff up - turns out it matters what is behind the plaster, which I'd never thought about before, and shouldn't always be just screws)
    • drill through tiles (needs a different kind of drill bit)
    • take down a fitted roller blind and its holders, and get it all back up in one piece and working
    • fit a new shower attachment (one of these clever things, that uses the holes already drilled for your shower riser rail)
    Two things I would recommend are the drill I got from the Swedish shop - the design makes it easier to hold steady with smaller hands. I had been picking up others in different stores and some of them were heavy and awkward for me. And this book - very useful for understanding the background on how houses are put together and so why things work in a particular way. Oh, and if certain DIY stores are unhelpful, just go to another one. All the ones in the town where I work are useless, the staff are teenagers who have no more idea about stuff than I already found out via YouTube. The best one I have found is a big Wickes nearby, whose staff actually know what they are talking about - possibly because they have trade customers, but they have an info desk and have been brilliant with everything I've asked, totally polite and helpful even when it's very basic questions about 'have I definitely picked up the right thing here'. And on the opposite note, don't always believe friends just because they tell you they know what they're doing - I have already found one instance where he was not entirely right and although the work is ok, it should really have been done a little differently to be done properly.

After a few more weeks of painting I shall be having a go at fixing taps. I'll keep you posted :D

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I would love to do some kind of DIY course too. I am (thank goodness) a relatively practical person and have done odd jobs during the time we've lived in rented accommodation before buying. Annoyingly we've had mire (so called in some cases) professionals here to do things because I simply haven't had the time to do it all.

Best advise I can give though is that the key is in the prep...I would say 2/3 of a job is the prep work beforehand, and 1/3 being the stuff you actually see, but doing the prep well will give a better finish overall.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    It's doing little things in rented places that got me started too... replacing sink plugs, putting together flatpacks, etc. I was quite surprised to realise how much of a toolkit I already had :D

You're quite right about the prep too - the things I have got wrong are usually from not double checking.
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Dashing in to report shuffle situation... it's not looking great. The minor car repairs wiped out the maintenance budget for that and it needs its MOT and hasn't been serviced yet. Plus I am supposed to be going away next month, though I am tempted to cancel at this point due to the money situation. But that would mean I didn't get time away at all this year. Still got some time to decide.

All else just plodding

Rosa xx
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Does your emergency pot cover the vehicle bits? If so, then I'd be going away.
    If in debt up the eye balls, can't afford to breathe - then I wouldn't go away.
    If putting it on the credit card to be worrying about later then I wouldn't go either, but that's just me.

Think of the break as your service and MOT?
  • doingitanyway
    Options

Think of the break as your service and MOT?
    I agree with this Redo
    Rosa, if it is possible for you to take a break do it! :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Another vote for getting away if you possibly can.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Another vote for getting away if you possibly can.

^^ what Beanie said xx
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family